Is CONO food still just microwave?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a dumb question.

Most of the other downgrades in dining car service have a lot to do with the lack of available diners on Viewliners which hopefully will improve once the Viewliner diners get running. Are there a lack of Superliner diners as well and if so, will that ever be fixed? Would the CL be next to lose its diner?

There are enough Superliner Diners and Cross Country Cafe Cars for the LD Trains.

In the case of the CONO they took the Chef off (.it still has the CCC) and are running a Heat and Eat Operation with only One Crew Member similar to how the Cardinal Diner Light operates!

Let's hope the Suits and Bean Counters don't think this is a Crackerjack idea and

spread it to other LD Trains. If they try, hopefully Mr.Moorman will not only say "No, but Hell No!"

Last edited by a moderator:
There are enough Superliner Diners and Cross Country Cafe Cars for the LD Trains.

In the case of the CONO they took the Chef off (.it still has the CCC) and are running a Heat and Eat Operation with only One Crew Member similar to how the Cardinal Diner Light operates!

Let's hope the Suits and Bean Counters don't think this is a Crackerjack idea and

spread it to other LD Trains. If they try, hopefully Mr.Moorman will not only say "No, but Hell No!"
Oh, I can think of one train it could spread to, which while far from ideal, would be better than the Starvation we currently have there.

The Silver Star should properly get a full dining car back; The anemic amount of long-distance business is a problem, however. This requires some thinking outside the box ("cafeteria" style, "banquet" style, etc.), some of which might, if successful, also be applicable to improved City of New Orleans dining.

Oh, I can think of one train it could spread to, which while far from ideal, would be better than the Starvation we currently have there.

The Silver Star should properly get a full dining car back; The anemic amount of long-distance business is a problem, however. This requires some thinking outside the box ("cafeteria" style, "banquet" style, etc.), some of which might, if successful, also be applicable to improved City of New Orleans dining.
If they want to bring back the chef inspired meals I'd fully support and pay for that. On the other hand if bargain bin microwave meals and cafeteria service are the only choices available I'd rather they just leave it be and leave the meals off the bill.

Thanks for the updates on CONO meals. Opinions run the gamut, which we can expect.

I think George K is right. From my perspective, most of my Amtrak LD travel is of the discretionary vacation type. I think, where do I want to go and how do I want to get there? If my choices include paying for a premium type ticket that includes meals (like Amtrak sleeper tickets) but the meals can either be (A) cooked by a chef, or (B) microwaved TV dinners, I would select A over B to enhance the total vacation experience. Hence for me at least downgrading the meal service on CONO makes Amtrak a less appealing travel choice for a vacation in Nola.

Except for a few items (like eggs cook to order or steaks cooked to order), EVERY meal on EVERY train is pre-packaged and reheated in a convection oven by the chef.
What about Private Varnish cars or VIA trains or the Hoosier State? Don't those still come with chef prepared meals?
All depends on your definition...

My recent trip on the Hoosier State I ordered a Deluxe Grilled Cheese which came with tomato and bacon. It was obviously prepared fresh on the train. The pasta salad was obviously purchased pre-made and the one choice for dessert was a Tiramisu that was served just like the Amtrak desserts, the plastic cup that it came in.

I think the only VIA Trains that have any fresh prepared food is the Canadian. I've heard the Ocean (aka Halifax service) has all pre-made plates. But I've yet to ride that one myself.

Except for a few items (like eggs cook to order or steaks cooked to order), EVERY meal on EVERY train is pre-packaged and reheated in a convection oven by the chef.
What about Private Varnish cars or VIA trains or the Hoosier State? Don't those still come with chef prepared meals?
I just assumed that he meant a long distance Amtrak train, since this is Amtrak Unlimited. Stupid me!
I will take no LD train that does not have chef prepared food.

My recent trip on the Hoosier State I ordered a Deluxe Grilled Cheese which came with tomato and bacon. It was obviously prepared fresh on the train. The pasta salad was obviously purchased pre-made and the one choice for dessert was a Tiramisu that was served just like the Amtrak desserts, the plastic cup that it came in. I think the only VIA Trains that have any fresh prepared food is the Canadian. I've heard the Ocean (aka Halifax service) has all pre-made plates. But I've yet to ride that one myself.
I felt The Canadian food was similar in quality to international first class airline meals. Good enough to enjoy but not quite good enough to write home about. I haven't had a chance to try the Hoosier State yet but I'd like to someday. I also want to check out some PV cars in the future.

Iowa Pacific / Hoosier State is it's own deal. They are great at presentation. The white coats, table settings, flowers etc. and of course included drinks is always a hit. But the menus are very basic and limited (same on the City of NOL as on the Hoosier State so nothing unique to that train). The service is friendlier than Amtrak for sure, but not always more professional if that makes sense. I like the Iowa Pacific service, and would take it over Amtrak any day. Iowa Pacific "Sit anywhere you like and let me know when you are ready to place an order" vs. Amtrak "sit where I tell you when I tell you and don't stay too long!"

Private Cars that I've been lucky enough to ride are a pretty mixed bag. The cars themselves are great, and the service is usually great, but alot of the food is pretty basic.. Just dolled up in a fancy way. I'm sure that varies from car to car and trip to trip.

Except for steak?

That's the whole ball of wax.

Eggs too.

That's probably 80% of what people like to order most (based on informal impressions).

Except for steak?

That's the whole ball of wax.

Eggs too.

That's probably 80% of what people like to order most (based on informal impressions).
And now we know why.... ;)

All depends on your definition...

My recent trip on the Hoosier State I ordered a Deluxe Grilled Cheese which came with tomato and bacon. It was obviously prepared fresh on the train. The pasta salad was obviously purchased pre-made and the one choice for dessert was a Tiramisu that was served just like the Amtrak desserts, the plastic cup that it came in.

I think the only VIA Trains that have any fresh prepared food is the Canadian. I've heard the Ocean (aka Halifax service) has all pre-made plates. But I've yet to ride that one myself.
There are some significant differences with how VIA Rail provides diner service.

Yes, the Canadian is the only train with a traditional, food cooked to order, diner YEAR ROUND.

During the summer peak the Canadian also has a coach class diner with food prepared and cooked on board, the Churchill train also has this summer peak diner.

On the Ocean, the food is provided by a caterer, with the final prep, and plating done on board, but you have a full dining car wait staff, so the experience is very different from

trains like the Cardinal, CONO, and the Lake Shore that at present have the limited dining options.

Ken

So the Canadian has full service diner year round. The Churchill train has seasonal full service diner. And the Halifax train has catered meals but seved in a diner.

So that still means only 1 train has a full service diner year round.

The Canadian is a national flagship train. The chefs are from the top culinary school in Canada. I wish USA would do that with Zephyr.

Back