Is dinner served on Capitol Limited? CHI - ALX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jannie

Train Attendant
I've found conflicting information about whether the evening meal would be served. The Train doesn't leave out of Chicago until 6:40 p.m. So... does that mean I better grab something to eat before I leave? Also, If I have a sleeper would I be able to board earlier?

Thank you

Most likely when you check into the Metropolitan Lounge they will take your dinner reservation. If you take the first seating, you may be at the table before you pull out of Union Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dinner is served on the CL departing CHI. If you are in a sleeper, when you check in to the ML, your dinner (time) reservation will be made.

Note that shortly after departure, you will enter the Eastern Time Zone, but all reservation time are made on Central time. Thus your 8:30 reservation will be called at 9:30 local time! :eek: I always chose an early time. (It is possible that if you have the first seating, you may be eating while the train is still at the platform!)

So since I'm getting there early because my other transport gets early -- I would be wise to make my reservation when I arrive so I get the first seating?

So since I'm getting there early because my other transport gets early -- I would be wise to make my reservation when I arrive so I get the first seating?
Yes!!

The last couple of times I was on the Capitol Limited from Chicago, the first seating did not start until after the train left Chicago. In prior years, they started serving while the train was in the station.

There is a 3 hour service, but what happens if the train is late out of CHI? Do they still feed you in the station prior to boarding?

There is a 3 hour service, but what happens if the train is late out of CHI? Do they still feed you in the station prior to boarding?
Trains often arrive late at CUS but because it is an end point staion they seldom leave late . . Most of the trains that arrive in Chicago typically have several hours of layover before they depart again. The Capital Ltd gets in at around 9-10AM and leaves after 6 PM . Even if it was 2 hours late there is still plenty of time to refuel, clean and reload the train.

Trains often arrive late at CUS but because it is an end point staion they seldom leave late . . Most of the trains that arrive in Chicago typically have several hours of layover before they depart again. The Capital Ltd gets in at around 9-10AM and leaves after 6 PM . Even if it was 2 hours late there is still plenty of time to refuel, clean and reload the train.
Late Western connections can cause Amtrak to hold the East Coast bound trains in the station. It is actually a relatively common situation.

There's things like bad orders that can cause a train to leave it's start point late. Then there's the LSL that, in the last day or two, left CHI 4+ hours late. Someone said it was because its equipment was used for the Cardinal and they had to scramble to put together the LSL. Don't know if that's true or not.

Last two times Ive taken the CL from Chicago dinner was called after leaving station (on time). Both times I arrived in the met lounge about 3:30pm. My reservation was taken and I took the first seating. Later arriving folks in the lounge had dinner res as late as 9pm. Once on the train I asked the sca to set my bedroom up for sleeping while at dinner, took a dessert back to the room and enjoyed the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back