Is it my wishful imagination?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
Anyone else keeping tabs on this? I have been out of pocket for more than a week, has something happened to make things better or is it just a fluke of good luck?

I mean, for awhile there, it was deplorable , frequently 4 or 5 hours late but now seems better.

Any thoughts?

I just returned on the Crescent on Sunday and we were actually a half hour early into NYP!

I've noticed that too, Bill. Right now, I'm looking at a trip on the Crescent to visit family next year -- sure would be nice if it was running reasonably on time.

Things are certainly better than they have been. Southbound on 19, I arrived in TCL on 29 August about an hour late, and returning on 6 September, I got into NYP about ninety minutes down. So, not superb, but much better, and such bizarre occurences as hour early arrivals are even happening.

Incidentally, both trips were busy in coach (four Amfleet IIs) but neither was sold out in sleeper (with two Viewliners, but no Heritage crew sleeper - on board staff were pessimistic about them ever coming back).

I had expected a full house in sleeper both ways simply because the southbound arrived on the anniversary of Katrina and the northbound was the first back after Labor Day. This is only an observation, but I was one of the few non-African-American passengers in coach. I would guess that trains 19 and 20 remain popular with those who cannot afford a sleeper or to drive the distance (you may draw your own conclusions about the racial implications of that). The people who have yet to return to New Orleans permanently (and a few of whom I met going south on their way for tearful reunions) were the poorest and least well off in the city. But with so many families and young people around me, it was one of the friendliest and most chatty overnight runs I've done in coach in a long time. :D

*j*

This is only an observation, but I was one of the few non-African-American passengers in coach. I would guess that trains 19 and 20 remain popular with those who cannot afford a sleeper or to drive the distance (you may draw your own conclusions about the racial implications of that).

*j*
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I noticed that the folks lined up to board the coach on the Silver Star last week were predominatly either african-american, college students, or both. I didn't go in the coach section of the train as a sleeper patron I didn't think I belonged back there. Earl, the african-american gentlemen I had breakfast with and spent over an hour chatting with in the diner paid cash for his meal.

Rick

Various segments of Amtrak trains have different demographic make-ups. That is what makes riding the trains interesting. Let's not get into stereotyping on this forum.

What difference did it make that your breakfast companion paid in cash. If he was a coach passenger he would pay for his meal, as opposed to you as a sleeping car passenger, who simply signs the check. I hope you used your cash to leave a tip for the wait help.

I didn't go in the coach section of the train as a sleeper patron I didn't think I belonged back there.
Sleeping car passengers, except for the crew sections and the baggage car, have the full run of the train including the coaches. Coach passengers on the other hand do not normally enjoy the priviledge of walking through the sleeping cars. Normally they are restricted to the lounge, diner, and the coaches. There are a few exceptions to that rule, like the Texas Eagle, where an extra coach is carried between Chicago and St. Louis during peak times. That extra coach is placed as the last car on the train and is detached at St. Louis. Those riding in that coach have no choice but to walk through a sleeping car to reach the rest of the train, including the dining car and the cafe car.

Various segments of Amtrak trains have different demographic make-ups. That is what makes riding the trains interesting. Let's not get into stereotyping on this forum.
Agreed, although I don't really think that's where these guys were going with their thoughts.

What difference did it make that your breakfast companion paid in cash. If he was a coach passenger he would pay for his meal, as opposed to you as a sleeping car passenger, who simply signs the check.
Actually I've been constantly amazed at how many coach passenger don't know that they can use their credit cards in the dining car. I've even met people who didn't know that they could use their credit card for an onboard upgrade. So many people seem to think that they can't use their credit cards while on the train. I'm not sure why people think that, but many do.

I did notice on my round the country journey this past June that two of the LSA's actually made it a point to announce that they took credit cards, as well as the fact that the passenger would need to provide both a photo ID and their Amtrak ticket stub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeping car passengers, except for the crew sections and the baggage car, have the full run of the train including the coaches. Coach passengers on the other hand do not normally enjoy the priviledge of walking through the sleeping cars. Normally they are restricted to the lounge, diner, and the coaches. There are a few exceptions to that rule, like the Texas Eagle, where an extra coach is carried between Chicago and St. Louis during peak times. That extra coach is placed as the last car on the train and is detached at St. Louis. Those riding in that coach have no choice but to walk through a sleeping car to reach the rest of the train, including the dining car and the cafe car.
I guess this is the sea service coming out again. I had my stateroom in 'officer country' and I generally stayed out of the enlisted birthing spaces. Maybe it was becasue the viewliner roomette reminded me of my stateroom, but I think my stateroom was bigger :)

If there is any stereotyping going on, it is economic. Please recall that I was originally a coach passenger and had no intention of purchasing a sleeper. Then outbound marketing called and made me an offer I could not refuse. If I'd boarded the train in Columbia, South Carolina (at an ungodly early hour of the morning) and was only going as far as Baltimore (like Earl), I probably would not have bit on the sleeper space.

What difference did it make that your breakfast companion paid in cash. If he was a coach passenger he would pay for his meal, as opposed to you as a sleeping car passenger, who simply signs the check.
I think the difference is the relative value Amtrak coach versus Amtrak sleeper versus other means of transportation. My statement above was a simple observation. Just like Mr. Brownontheroad, you may draw your own conclusions.

And yes I left a tip for the staff. Not every sleeping car passenger left a tip. Neither did Earl

Lets get back to the Cresent's timeliness.

Rick

I guess this is the sea service coming out again. I had my stateroom in 'officer country' and I generally stayed out of the enlisted birthing spaces. Maybe it was becasue the viewliner roomette reminded me of my stateroom, but I think my stateroom was bigger :)

If there is any stereotyping going on, it is economic. Please recall that I was originally a coach passenger and had no intention of purchasing a sleeper. Then outbound marketing called and made me an offer I could not refuse. If I'd boarded the train in Columbia, South Carolina (at an ungodly early hour of the morning) and was only going as far as Baltimore (like Earl), I probably would not have bit on the sleeper space.

I think the difference is the relative value Amtrak coach versus Amtrak sleeper versus other means of transportation. My statement above was a simple observation. Just like Mr. Brownontheroad, you may draw your own conclusions.

And yes I left a tip for the staff. Not every sleeping car passenger left a tip. Neither did Earl

Lets get back to the Cresent's timeliness.

Rick
I was on the northbound Crescent out of NO Sunday as well; I will hold my comments on the other observations for now.

Ctim2

Yes!!!!!!!!!!! :D

"On time" departures are improving from Miami and hope it will continue!!!!!!!

Overheard Management talking about checking the wheels on an "outbound" Heritage sleeper with a final destination to BG. And I do mean "FINAL"!!!!!!!! :p

Are the Crew Dorms being taken out of service?????

What will the crews use?

MJ B)

Yes!!!!!!!!!!! :D
"On time" departures are improving from Miami and hope it will continue!!!!!!!
I know we all sure hope so. :)

Overheard Management talking about checking the wheels on an "outbound" Heritage sleeper with a final destination to BG. And I do mean "FINAL"!!!!!!!! :p
Are the Crew Dorms being taken out of service?????

What will the crews use?

MJ B)
We've had a few reports that one Silver Service train, as well as the Crescent are now running without crew dorms. The crews are now occupying space in the Viewliners, reducing sellable space, since we don't have a dozen extra Viewliners just lying around somwhere to act as dorms.

I recall all trains with a crew sleeper recently, but also noticed that 98 was running with 4 V/L's.

Why are they pulling Crew Dorms? FRA mandate? Also heard that the COT&S dates had to do with the cars being pulled from service!!!

MJ B)

I recall all trains with a crew sleeper recently, but also noticed that 98 was running with 4 V/L's.
Why are they pulling Crew Dorms? FRA mandate? Also heard that the COT&S dates had to do with the cars being pulled from service!!!

MJ B)
Joe,

I don't know that I've heard an "official" reason, but I have heard it expressed that a lot has to do with the fact that the cars are 50+ years old and parts are hard to find.

On the other hand, somehow VIA seems to be able to find them as do private varnish owners, so I don't know where Amtrak is looking. :unsure:

Want to hear something crazy? The Sunset Limited eastbound (train #1) has been running nearly ontime (generally less than 3 hours late - unheard of for that train) for the past few weeks, with only the rare exception!!

Maybe UP didn't like that threatening letter or the bad publicity. Or perhaps they wanted to make nice with the new President.

I have just noticed in the past month that amtrak ontime running is alot better, the CZ is typically only 2 hours late now into lincoln from denver instead of the 4 it was typically running all summer. idk. New president maybe.

About the crew dorm part of this, yes, I have been gone to the station and watched the Crescent several times lately. And it has been without a crew dorm each time.

Guess that means we have to reserve earlier to be sure we get a room.

Not necessarily on 19 and 20... like I said earlier, I travelled down on the last train pre-Katrina's anniversary, and the first one back after the Labor Day weekend, and roomettes were available for upgrade on board both times (I was quoted $111 for WAS-TCL and TCL-NYP; I think it would be nearer $125-$130 for the whole trip).

*j* :blink:

Not necessarily on 19 and 20... like I said earlier, I travelled down on the last train pre-Katrina's anniversary, and the first one back after the Labor Day weekend, and roomettes were available for upgrade on board both times (I was quoted $111 for WAS-TCL and TCL-NYP; I think it would be nearer $125-$130 for the whole trip).

*j* :blink:
I do recall what you said earlier about finding 19-20 with quite a few open rooms.

But I stilll do not want to wait until the last minute.

BTW, wonder if the crew sticks pretty much to roomettes, or might a couple of them take on a bedroom?Wonder about that, as there are so few bedrooms.

Maybe UP didn't like that threatening letter or the bad publicity. Or perhaps they wanted to make nice with the new President.
I have my fingers crossed that is the reason why!! I have been tracking the 91 and 97, since my family and I will br traveling in late October and I am noticing that both trains are getting into Orlando on time, with a couple days of lateness but not the typical 2 hours late.

Something is going on and whatever it is let's keep our fingers crossed Amtrak either does'nt change it or for that matter does'nt realize what they did to change it and forgets about it!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back