Is it okay to have conversations with the conductors?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
We all know that the conductors on amtrak trains have a lot to do and many are kept busy non-stop. At the same time though, sometimes we end up getting a conductor on the train who is more than willing to stop and have a chat. My question is do you ever stop and have a chat with the conductor about train related material for a few minutes? Is there a good time in the trip when you should talk with them? I am going on both the Starlight and the Empire Builder this year so if you know of a good place where the conductor has less to do, let me know.

We all know that the conductors on amtrak trains have a lot to do and many are kept busy non-stop. At the same time though, sometimes we end up getting a conductor on the train who is more than willing to stop and have a chat. My question is do you ever stop and have a chat with the conductor about train related material for a few minutes? Is there a good time in the trip when you should talk with them? I am going on both the Starlight and the Empire Builder this year so if you know of a good place where the conductor has less to do, let me know.
It all depends on the personality of the Conductor. Some like to talk and others are all business - and there is plenty of business to keep track of while traveling. I would suggest you ask the Conductor is he/she is able to answer a few questions about the train, but I would not expect the Conductor to discuss the pros and cons of various routes, equipment, Amtrak plans, etc. They have a tremendous responsibility and depending on the route, there are a ton of things they have to keep under control. Good luck.

Like the previous poster said -- it totally depends on the mood of the conductor. I have seen some really great ones who love talking with the passengers -- and others who don't like to talk to anyone (including their assistant conductor!! Hahaha!!!) By far, most of the conductors are really nice. I have had guys on the California Zephyr and the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited who will narrate parts of the route for passengers -- and will actually "hang out" in the lounge car chatting it up with passengers and are obvious rail fans themselves. I even had some really awesome conductors on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited (these guys work San Antonio to Alpine, I think...) who saw I was reading the Trails & Rails guide books for the train (I do T&R on the Empire Builder) and actually loaned me their coach key so I could sit and co-narrate with them for passengers!! It was so much fun and they were so cool!!! Then, like anywhere, you have the "grumps" too -- we have one of those types of personalities on the Hiawatha and another one who works the Empire Builder. The "grump" on the Hiawatha likes to spend the entire journey from Milwaukee to Chicago coming into the quiet car every 3-5 minutes yelling at passengers at the top of her lungs who she feels is talking too loud. Even though I know she's just doing her job... and I am always quiet in the quiet car... I still want to yell back "YOU are making more noise yelling at passengers than they were making in the first place!!"

I still remember the trip on the Lake Shore Limited in upstate New York late at night, where Dave Alan (chair of the Lackwanna Coalition), my gf, and I were in the lounge having a blast talking to the conductor and an AC for hours. The conductor occasionally muttered "acknowledged" into his mic when he got a transmission. He told stories, made jokes, and participated in active debates on a variety of subjects- mostly rail related.

Of course, it was interrupted every so often by him performing his duties. But if the conductor knows his route, and knows what he is doing, and is comfortable talking to you, then by all means, do so. Its sort of like with driving a car while talking to a passenger.. The first important thing about driving a car like that is if you are comfortable doing it. For all the same skill levels, reflexes, and capable reaction times, nothing affects your ability to do it then your confidence that you can.

Further, like when talking to a person driving a car, keep in mind that at any moment, a situation requiring their full and complete attention immediately may come up, so keep your eye out for it and shut up immediately if it happens.

And lastly, of course, do not talk to a conductor who looks like he is very uncomfortable about being talked to. I mean, if you have something he needs to know, tell him, or you have a problem requiring his attention, let him know, but don't talk socially if the conductor doesn't seem to want that kind of interaction.

The conductors on the Surfliners are almost always willing to strike up a conversation. Maybe it's the informal nature of the train or the weather in SoCal or something unusual in the water, but I've never come across a reticent conductor, even those on the weekend extraboard shifts.

Now there was a conductor on the Missouri River Runner earlier this year who was beyond belief, so friendly, so thorough and so caring for HIS train and HIS customers. He was the best I've ever encountered.

And there was one on the CZ westbound about two years ago who set up shop in the Sightseer Lounge and was selling pins from various railroads, most of the them vintage. He was a great guy. (Geez, I hope someone from Amtrak doesn't try to track this guy down and bust him for extra-curricular commerce!)

My advice would be to watch a conductor's body language before attempting to engage in conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back