Is it okay to trip a conductor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Saxman is taking notes for his next flight :lol:
1. Say all aboard

2. Get air horn on plane

3. Be the coolest airline pilot in history
I was on a United flight out of Denver some years ago when the cockpit crew did almost exactly that. The pilot, at the end of his "welcome aboard" greeting as the door was closing, called out "all aboard" and blew one of those wooden steam engine whistles. He got a good laugh from the passengers.

Saxman resides in Grapevine, Tx? Then let me guess....he flies for Southwest! ;) (I'd be very surprised if I was wrong and he flies for AA!) :blink:

I also suggest you tip your plumber, auto mechanic, and dentist. It's pretty much the same as tipping a conductor for doing a job that he or she is very well paid to perform.
On our very first train trip, upon entering the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI, we checked in and went to the little luggage room to store our four carry-on bags. After receiving the check tickets, I proffered the room attendant a tip. He shook his head no, and said that it wasn't necessary. That surprised me. Not knowing what to say, I said: "What if I want to?" He said: "Well, then it's OK." :rolleyes:

On our next trip I noticed that there was a "tip box" on his table.

I also suggest you tip your plumber, auto mechanic, and dentist. It's pretty much the same as tipping a conductor for doing a job that he or she is very well paid to perform.
I've tipped my auto mechanic sometimes, especially when he does a small job that he does not want payment for (ex. a headlamp wiper motor on my car shorted out causing the car to blow its main dash panel/wipermotor/passenger side turn signal fuse every time I spritzed the windshield while the headlamps were on, which activates the motors. He disconnected it, and didn't charge me, pointing out a replacement motor is $500 and there are few car parts that are less essential than a headlamp wipe/wash. I tossed a $5 bill on his desk on my way out.)

And, I guess the answer is, many don't tip them, because they aren't aware of the tradition.
And I would say an equal number of coach passengers tip them because they are unaware of what they are paid.

Or what if Mr. T was an Amtrak Conductor?

He'd be sitting there in the dining car doing his paperwork and as people would come through he'd causally stick out his foot and trip them. "Welcome aboard Amtrip, Suck'a!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Conductor tipping may be questionable,

but how about cow tipping?

cow_tipping_rgb_222k.jpg

I have several friends who are conductors out of Chicago and Milwaukee... and asked them about this. They really don't get a lot of tips and it's normally not customary to tip conductors... however they say sometimes they do get tips for helping with baggage and stuff. Some of the conductors help passengers with their bags up and down the stairs on the Horizon cars in CHI and MKE... and sometimes a nice old lady will give them a few bucks for their extra efforts.

Well according to what LongTrainRunning posted back on page one, conductors can accept tips. They just cannot go looking for them or requesting them.

If Jim Varney (Ernest P. Worell) was an Amtrak conductor I bet he'd accept a trip!

The thing is, its hard to determine where solicitation begins.
If the conductor is standing on a street corner, is that where solicitation begins?

LOL @ the last two posts! I love this thread! Whoever started it was a genius!

If the conductor is standing on a street corner, is that where solicitation begins?
Nowadays you don't need to even be on a street corner anymore. Might be what the conductor's up to when they're on their cell phone. :lol: :cool:

(Then it just becomes an issue as to whether he/she is on company time or not.)

Nowadays you don't need to even be on a street corner anymore. Might be what the conductor's up to when they're on their cell phone. :lol: :cool:

(Then it just becomes an issue as to whether he/she is on company time or not.)
But is he allowed to trip toe through the tulips. :rolleyes:

Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back