Is Phillipe's still the go to place for a layover in LA?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andersone

Conductor
Reading some of the past forum posts, Phillipes seems to be the resounding choice

We will be coming in on the Chief eta 8:15 and departing on the Starlight etd 10:10

Do we have enough time to go there for breakfast?

Google shows this as a six minute walk,,, so do we have enough time to go and get breakfast and not miss the Starlight? seems awfully tight to me

Thanks in advance for your assistance

If #3 is on time into LAX you'll have plenty of time to go to Philippe for Breakfast. You can also take a to go dip Sandwich ( the Lamb is outstanding!) and eat it in the Meteo Lounge if you so desire.

You'll know by the time you get to Fullerton ( stop before LAX)if you will arrive into LAX with enough time to eat @ Philippe.

If not, the Lounge has free Pastry and drinks, or there is a Starbucks in tbe Lobby if you go to for High Priced Chain food and drinks.( you will have an early breakfast in the Diner aboard #3 if on time)

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience there are often long lines at Phillipe's to place your order; then you wait for it to be prepared; then you find a place to sit and consume. Safer to walk across the street from the station to Mexican outdoor mall type tourist trap where you at least have several options.

Reading some of the past forum posts, Phillipes seems to be the resounding choice. We will be coming in on the Chief eta 8:15 and departing on the Starlight etd 10:10 Do we have enough time to go there for breakfast? Google shows this as a six minute walk,,, so do we have enough time to go and get breakfast and not miss the Starlight? seems awfully tight to me Thanks in advance for your assistance
If your train is on time then you shouldn't have any trouble reaching Philippe's. Like any stationary restaurant Phillipe's has fresher and tastier food than an Amtrak dining car, but it's not nearly the transcendent culinary experience which some folks wax poetic about, so don't feel too bad if you miss out.

The Lounge has free Pastry* and drinks...
* When I was there it was a vending machine style sealed "pastry" type product.

Since the OP is asking about Breakfast, the joints in Olvera Street are mostly closed that time of morning ( I agree that most are a rip off), but I've found Philippe to serve very quickly @ Breakfast time, much busier @ lunch and later in the day.

Place your order @ the counter, get some good 45 cent coffee ( it used to be 9 cents, the original price!) and your combo or other delicious meal ( Google up the Menu) will be served rapidly.

As for the famous dip sandwiches( single or double dip), to each their own, but I find the Lamb delicious, the beef,pork and turkey less so.YMMV

As for the snacks in tbe Metro Lounge, Chris is right, but they are much better than the stuff in the Chicago Lounge or the CAs on the East Coast IMO!

My 2 cents- I forget the name of the place on Olvera,but it is one of the prominent restaurants and on the Union Station side, midway down the block. I have had at least 2 very satisfactory dinners there.

If the train is on time, Phillippes is a short walk and you won't have a problem. As has been pointed out, the lines are not bad for breakfast, and it won't be the mob scene it is for lunch, particularly on a week day. Often the train is significantly early, giving you even more time.

I will be doing this myself is a couple of weeks, BTW.

Agree, the Beef Dip is not a "Culinary Masterpiece" on it's own, (But the 4-5 X I've been there, it's been damn good) but very much like eating in a dining car, the experience of going to eat at Philippe's is worth it. The history, the customers, the RR memorabilia on some of the back walls. The experience is not to be missed.

The breakfast two summers ago was basic, but really good. And pretty fast.

Is Philippe's similar to Lou Mitchell's near Chicago Union Station for breakfast?

If we are on time I will tru Phiipes. As for sandwiches I doubt they could rival a double combo wet and hot from Johnies on North avenue in Elmwood Park (Chicago). Iti sausage and beef and dipped with peppers

Make sure you get whatever double dipped. They don't give you a cup of au jus at Phillipes. The beef is good, but the lamb is amazing. Stay away from their turkey french dip, not bad but not great.

A french dip is a different animal than a Chicago Italian Beef, although they are both dipped and messy. You really can't compare the two against each other. On an absolute scale, though, I think an Italian Beef is tastier, simply because the fact that there is more to it. A french dip is really simple, roll, beef/other meat, au jus.

I always go to Phillipes when connecting through LA Union Station, and Al's Italian Beef when connecting at Chicago Union Station. Both are excellent on their own terms.

To avoid confusion for those who are new, the restaurant is, in fact, not named "Phillipe's." It's "Phillipe the Original" (no possessive), and that's what the big signs outside say.

I just hope I get to try it. Will probably Uber there and back. Six city blocks for me can be thirty to forty minutes

To avoid confusion for those who are new, the restaurant is, in fact, not named "Phillipe's." It's "Phillipe the Original" (no possessive), and that's what the big signs outside say.
Exactly. But you know what? Their website is http://www.philippes.com. Go figure, I guess the singular/non-possessive URL was taken. Anyway, back when I was local we referred to it as "Philippe's".

If time is short, there was a new convenience store in the station when we connected there last August that was a cut above most. We picked up a really good salad for dinner on the SWC. Lots of fresh food selections. Not to be too healthy, we also got really good desert, Baklava and a couple lemon squares, at the new bakery in the same area of the station. With our Napa wine we brought we had a real feast. Amfood could wait until the next day.

If time is short, there was a new convenience store in the station when we connected there last August that was a cut above most. We picked up a really good salad for dinner on the SWC. Lots of fresh food selections. Not to be too healthy, we also got really good desert, Baklava and a couple lemon squares, at the new bakery in the same area of the station. With our Napa wine we brought we had a real feast. Amfood could wait until the next day.
That sounds really good. Is the Baklava homemade as well? Seems like LAUS just keeps getting better and better. Now if we could just get the Sunset Limited on a daily schedule at a more reasonable departure and arrival time I'd be all set.

One note, the spelling is Philippe,only One L. Enjoy as the wait persons say!
I stand corrected.

You also don't pronounce the E on the end. Philippe was French, not Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back