Is Simplified Dining Service now used on the EB?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you that I was on the EB in May and it was absolutely no better than the LSL or the Starlight on the same trip. The steaks were of very very poor quality and cooked either blood rare or burned to death. The chicken entree was, without a doubt, pre-made and heated aboard. No doubt, it was reasonably tasty (slightly gamey), but passable. Lunch was the best meal of the day, to be honest. The service staff was very good in the diner. Our SCA was awful, unfortunately. We always clean up after ourselves in the baths, etc., I would expect others to do the same...most did, but the simplest of cleaning was not done by our SCA.

If Amtrak were to cut Aramark loose and find a better supplier with more options I think things would improve. Aramark is well known for being the cheapest option and providing some of the worst food. The hospital I work at switched to them two years ago, service declined, options were reduced and some of the food became out right disgusting. I have to say Aramark does a good job with Amtrak compared to my other run-ins with them.

If Amtrak were to cut Aramark loose and find a better supplier with more options I think things would improve. Aramark is well known for being the cheapest option and providing some of the worst food. The hospital I work at switched to them two years ago, service declined, options were reduced and some of the food became out right disgusting. I have to say Aramark does a good job with Amtrak compared to my other run-ins with them.
There aren't a lot of food service vendors out there that can handle Amtrak. And Amtrak already switched from Gate Gourmet to Aramark, which resulted in an major improvement in the quality of the food.

There aren't a lot of food service vendors out there that can handle Amtrak. And Amtrak already switched from Gate Gourmet to Aramark, which resulted in an major improvement in the quality of the food.
Agreed. There may be better regional providers but finding a national is not easy.

Another thing about Aramark. I am no fan, but they prepare food to the customer's specs. Specs are adjustable.

The EB/CS food is fine.

And (as I think that you've pointed out before), Aramark can turn out some very high quality food. It's all in what Amtrak (and us as consumers) are willing to pay for.

As far as the Empire Builder complaints, you can't please everyone all of the time. I found the food to be excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back