Is the Capital Ltd time keeping falling apart now?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Why does it seem like every time a upcoming LD trip approaches for me, the time keeping of at least one train seems to go from good to bad in the matter of a few days? I've been watching train #30 the past couple days and noticed that on time performance has gone down hill rather quick. Here is a few examples:

Fri May 23 chi: 0:10 late

tol: 2:10 late

pbh: 2:13 late

was: 2:12 late

Sat May 24 chi: O/T

tol: 0:39 late

pbh: 0:17 late

was: 1:08 late

Sun May 25 chi: 0:46 late

Tol: : 1:39 late

pbh: 1:21 late

was: 2:07 late

Mon May 26 chi: O/T

tol: 0:24 late

pbh: 0:38 late

was: 0:15 late

Tue May 27 chi: 0:02 late

tol: 1:21 late

pbh: 1:31 late

was: 2:34 late

Tonights train #30 (may 28) just left Chicago already 31 minutes down. Train #29 left Was 2:16 late out of the gate. Anything going on lately that I should be aware of with #30?

I am wondering the same thing. I have been watching #29 with its arrival time at Cumberland, Maryland. Will be there on Friday and thought I would watch her arrive/depart. The train had been running close to schedule except for yesterday and now, today, 2 plus hours late. She left Washington 2 hours late.

I wonder what is going on?

I'm always of the mindset that any lateness under three hours doesn't qualify as 'bad'. Don't get me wrong, it's late and it needs to be fixed. But for an Amtrak train, that's just plain late and is not indicative of unusual problems.

The CL has not been doing very well in on-time performance lately. I expect many of the late departures from CHI can be attributed to waiting on the CZ and other connecting late LD trains. However, random spot checks show the CL often losing time through the trip in PA, OH, IN, so it could be freight traffic combined with track work along the route. The CL is not having a good day: 29(5/28) departed Toledo 4 hours late and 30(5/28) 1:53 late.

If people want some good news for the CL route, there is to be a press conference in IN today announcing the start of construction on the Indiana Gateway project. The latest video on Youtube of the Englewood Flyover from May 6 shows almost all of the elevated bridge structure is in place with the fill-in for the approach ramps remaining to be completed.

The name of that train is Capitol Limited not Capital Limited
Perhaps the name of the CL should be changed to Capital Limited to reflect Amtrak's funding situation. Not getting enough capital funding from Congress for the NEC or to buy replacement rolling stock, so Amtrak is capital limited. ;)

The name of that train is Capitol Limited not Capital Limited
Perhaps the name of the CL should be changed to Capital Limited to reflect Amtrak's funding situation. Not getting enough capital funding from Congress for the NEC or to buy replacement rolling stock, so Amtrak is capital limited. ;)
Indeed! Also stated as such by GML in the other thread.

But the train that is Limited is Capitol, and the Corridor is Capitol.

Interestingly people seem to call the train Capital Limited while the term Capitol is often used to refer to Capitals, e.g. "London is the capitol of UK". The only thing that is Capitol in that context is this one building with a dome full of immense quantity of hot air in Washington DC. Some states may call their corresponding source of hot air building a Capitol too in imitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is CSX still doing construction work along that line?
The construction is mostly finished between Pittsburgh and Harpers Ferry. There is a small section that was singled tracked due to the close clearance with two of the tunnels that are now open cut. Back in January when I rode from Pittsburgh to DC they were still working on double tracking that section. They are working on the Harpers Ferry tunnel now with a curfew Friday and Saturday 8pm-8am. Both trains lost a lot of time between Pittsburgh and Connellsville due to really bad flooding near the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back