Is there a difference between the two Silvers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAARGH!

Conductor
I am considering taking one of the two Stars from NYP or WAS to Miami. I would be in a roomette.

Is there any service / consist differences between the two?

I know about the different timing and that the Star goes to Tampa, but that is not important to me.

Thanks!

I have taken the Silver Meteor numerous times and the Silver Star only once recently (2 weeks ago). I believe the Star only has 2 sleepers whereas the Meteor has 3. It appeared to me that the dining car on the Star was an older model than the ones on the Meteor. I had a bedroom on the Star going one way and it did not have a chair, and the last time I had a Meteor bedroom, there was a chair. Those experiences just might have been luck of the draw.

I am considering taking one of the two Stars from NYP or WAS to Miami. I would be in a roomette.
Is there any service / consist differences between the two?

I know about the different timing and that the Star goes to Tampa, but that is not important to me.

Thanks!
I think the only differences are scenery, timing, stations served, and ridership (which translates into both cost and how busy the diner is). I'm pretty sure the consists are the same, unless one runs with an additional sleeper in some seasons. That may affect the cost (which you can already see when booking) and the number of people trying to get meals (which might make this worth figuring out).

I have taken the Silver Meteor numerous times and the Silver Star only once recently (2 weeks ago). I believe the Star only has 2 sleepers whereas the Meteor has 3. It appeared to me that the dining car on the Star was an older model than the ones on the Meteor. I had a bedroom on the Star going one way and it did not have a chair, and the last time I had a Meteor bedroom, there was a chair. Those experiences just might have been luck of the draw.
The dining cars all date from the 1940s-50s, but half of them received new interiors about a decade ago (?) and half didn't. But the diners move around among the Crescent, Star, and Meteor: they aren't assigned to specific trains.

In my experience the Silver that runs more inland in the Carolinas (I can't remember which one) runs on MUCH bumpier track. I have taken both the Meteor and the Star from JAX to WAS many, many times in the past several years.

As you can see for about several hundred miles through the Carolinas they make completely separate stops. The Star also stops in Raleigh, whereas the Meteor does not.
And that affects someone traveling all the way to Miami how? I think that's the details the OP would like to know.

Personally, I have ridden both many times, and for me, the significant difference is the time of arrival at my destination.

As you can see for about several hundred miles through the Carolinas they make completely separate stops. The Star also stops in Raleigh, whereas the Meteor does not.
And that affects someone traveling all the way to Miami how? I think that's the details the OP would like to know.

Personally, I have ridden both many times, and for me, the significant difference is the time of arrival at my destination.
I'm just offering some interesting notes about the Silvers. I have heard that the Meteor has better scenery.

By the way had you bothered to read that PDF, its the Atlantic Coast time table... <_<

I had a bedroom on the Star going one way and it did not have a chair, and the last time I had a Meteor bedroom, there was a chair. Those experiences just might have been luck of the draw.
I recently road in a bedroom on the Star and the Meteor and neither one of them have the chair in the bedroom (just the couch). I'm not sure why they took them out. I was able to look into the bedroom next to mine as well (only 2 per sleeper car) and it also did not have a chair on either train.

Kim

I had a bedroom on the Star going one way and it did not have a chair, and the last time I had a Meteor bedroom, there was a chair. Those experiences just might have been luck of the draw.
I recently road in a bedroom on the Star and the Meteor and neither one of them have the chair in the bedroom (just the couch). I'm not sure why they took them out. I was able to look into the bedroom next to mine as well (only 2 per sleeper car) and it also did not have a chair on either train.

Kim

I have heard that those chairs aren't that comfy (I don't mind, as long as there is a view). The ones on the refurbished Superliner (double decker) sleepers have a comfy chair. Also, you can just lower the upper bunk and look out the window from there (the double row rocks!)!

It was my impression that this third seat can be easily removed, folded and stored under the bench seats. I think the issue is it somewhat blocks the door to the restroom/shower area. I tried the seat the other day, it was not comfortable at all. My car attendant told me they can set it up for you if requested.

Amtrak is in the process of replacing the original fold up seats that were free standing, because they don't meet FRA regs since they are not anchored to the floor or any part of the train. In an accident, they can go flying, along with the occupants.

New fold up seats that are bolted to the side wall of the cars are being installed instead. It is possible that with a large portion of this project already finished, that Amtrak has simply removed the remainder of the old style folding seats even though the new ones haven't been installed in those few remaining cars.

Amtrak is in the process of replacing the original fold up seats that were free standing, because they don't meet FRA regs since they are not anchored to the floor or any part of the train. In an accident, they can go flying, along with the occupants.
New fold up seats that are bolted to the side wall of the cars are being installed instead. It is possible that with a large portion of this project already finished, that Amtrak has simply removed the remainder of the old style folding seats even though the new ones haven't been installed in those few remaining cars.
Wonder what we'll see in our bedroom on 448 the end of this month??

The new anchored chairs have a latch on the bottom, "push here", and it will slide up off the anchor post and can then be folded and stored away. I have not seen the free standing chairs for a couple years now. Sounds like best to leave it in place than under the other seats as that could be thrown about as alan notes.

The silver meteor is just more likely daytime train until you reach SC then it becomes nighttime till you reach DC at 748am. The star is overnight right before Jacksonville till almost to first stop in SC before it becomes daytime.

I would take Meteor better because the fare are cheaper than Star.

Last edited by a moderator:
The silver meteor is just more likely daytime train until you reach SC then it becomes nighttime till you reach DC at 748am. The star is overnight right before Jacksonville till almost to first stop in SC before it becomes daytime.
I will be heading South, so I can figure out the daylight situation.

For the days I am looking, both trains are the same price.

I will be heading South, so I can figure out the daylight situation.

For the days I am looking, both trains are the same price.
I just checked that Star cost me $187 from NYP to MIA compare to Meteor for $127 for same way

The Meteor is a faster trip for those traveling south of Orlando. The Star leaves earlier and reaches Florida about 2-3 hours before the Meteor, however because the Star goes to Tampa and stops at Lakeland twice, by the time it gets to South Florida the two trains are often on each other's tails all the way to Miami. If you have an urge to see Tampa, take the Star, but otherwise I say take the Meteor. You won't miss any scenery in the Carolinas anyway because for one there hardly is any and two it's pitch black when you go through it. The only thing you'd miss are a few sights in Virginia, but if you make a return trip on the Meteor you might see a little more then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back