Issac Walton Inn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
I am thinking about stopping at Issac Walton Inn on our westbound EB trip to Sea for a few days

I just wondered if anybody here had done that or whether it is worthwhile, and what is worth doing

while there>

Thanks for any Info!!

Trainfan

I'm glad you asked this. I just saw someone mention this place today and I looked it up. It looks great. Cabooses and engine hotel rooms and it's right at the station? Sounds like a must-visit for anyone that took the time to register at this site. I would also appreciate more info about this place and what to do around there but especially how those railcar rooms are.

I have. It is a very nice little place! :) Very nice little Diner in the Inn it's self. The inn has a shuttle from the Gravel yes Gravel platform marked with two or three lampposts and IIRC a switch box. Type of thing you will walk right by it when walking. I would most surely recommend it! It's a very rail fan friendly hotel! Trains often blow there horns as they pass. There is a overpass that crosses into a caboose yard. That is the staff's housing. Don't expect to get Cell Phone or Internet Service there. Just a pay phone. The station as mentioned is gravel you can walk and takes less then 5 minutes and about 2 minutes by the hotel shuttle, if that. Their are track side rooms. Book well in advance for those! Make sure to book a jammer tour through the park. It takes up the whole day and is a blast! If you choose to stay there I'd say two days including the day you arrive if your coming eastbound on the EB. One for train watching! The other for the tour. Then if your going onto CHI like we did woke up next morning had breakfast and they kept us updated frequently. They actually have contact with the BNSF dispatch center! in Fort Worth? So they know where it is and when to load the shuttle depending on load. We were there during the summer and the train stopped everyday and always had to make a double stop. :) Great place! Go for it!! :D

I stayed three nights at the Izaak Walton last June with my father. We stayed in one of the first floor "Great Northern" rooms.

On the whole, this is a wonderful place to plan a stopover...with one caveat. This historic inn is not "handicap-friendly". They have installed a chair lift so that handicapped patrons can enter the first floor restaurant and rooms, but the bar/lounge and TV room in the basement are not accessible. If I recall correctly they have one unisex accessible restroom on that first floor, but I do not know if any of the sleeping rooms have been modified to be ADA compliant. Also not sure about transportation for wheelchair guests from the Amtrak platform, which is about 1/4 mile up the tracks on a gravel road. The hotel sends its van to meet all guests arriving by Amtrak, but I don't recall the van having a chair lift.

If you don't have that particular difficulty, though, the Inn is a wonderful and relaxing place to spend a few days. It does have a full service restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner; there is a bar and lounge downstairs (be sure to take plenty of dimes or half dollars for the antique jukebox...quarters don't work, but dimes do!) as well as a TV room (there are no TVs in the rooms) and game room; there is a small laundromat across the parking lot if you need to wash clothes, plus those wonderful huge porches on both the track side and the parking lot side...a great place to sit and relax and watch some BNSF action! Some of the "rooms" are cabooses or locomotives which have been converted into cabins, and I believe that there are a couple more across the tracks...there is an overhead walkway which lets you cross the tracks without hazard, and it too is a great place to watch some "action".

Some of the Red Bus tours (the Circle tour in particular) do stop at the Inn and they are a great way to see the park proper. (The Inn is actually just outside the perimeter of the national park.) Even if you visit in late spring or fall when the Circle tour is not offered, try giving Glacier Park Inc. (the Red Bus concessionaire) a call anyway and tell them you're staying at the Izaak Walton...they may be willing to pick you up for one of their other tours for an extra $10 a head or so. (You're 30 miles from the park entrance over 2-lane roads...it's worth it!) We took the Old North Trail tour and had a wonderful time...our "jammer" guide was extremely knowledgeable and personable. Tip accordingly!

Some things to keep in mind: The hotel rooms do not have TV (some of the cabins may), but there is a comfortable TV lounge in the basement. The hotel requests no laptop or electronic devices usage in the main lobby (a wonderful public space with comfortable chairs, hundreds of books, and an inviting fireplace), but you may use them downstairs in the bar where there is wi-fi. (Our connection speed was slow, but that may have been due to bad weather...I think they use a satellite link.) There is no cell phone service within 30 miles, but pay phones are available and the front desk sells phone cards.

I have heard that it may be possible to arrange auto rentals with advance notice; check with the hotel office for more information. (We drove our own car.) Activities in the immediate vicinity are limited although there are at least two decent eateries if you want a change of pace from the hotel restaurant; for more choices and activities you will need to drive the 30 miles to East Glacier or West Glacier (the Inn is almost exactly midway between the two park entrances).

YellowstoneTrip2011224.jpg

The Inn as seen from the pedestrian bridge over the BNSF tracks. Please note that there are no grade crossings on the main line anywhere near the Inn, so whistle noises are seldom heard, and the Inn is set far enough back from the main line that the train noise stays well into the background.

YellowstoneTrip2011173.jpg

The Flagstop Bar in the basement. You can use wi-fi here whether the bar is open or closed.

YellowstoneTrip2011172.jpg

The antique jukebox (there's a modern CD jukebox at the far end of the room as well). Bring plenty of half dollars or dimes!

YellowstoneTrip2011169.jpg

One of the Great Northern guest rooms on the first floor, with queen and twin beds.

We had a great time at the Izaak Walton, and I would love to return there some day...hopefully via Amtrak!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I hear, there's a brand-new ADA-compliant concrete platform at Essex now!

And I really love the Izaak Walton ... it's a wonderful place to get away from the world. The only caveat I have is a reminder of how remote the place is ... there's not really a "town" there, per se, so the hotel is pretty much it. No other shopping or dining options, no place to go unless you have your own car. With a car, you're 30-45 minutes from the closest town, and even those places are extremely small.

There's great cross-country skiing there in the winter, and a couple (fairly strenuous) hikes from there in the summer, and of course great railfanning. There's a very limited schedule of full-day Red Bus tours through Glacier, only during the peak summer months. Having a car there helps a lot, and without it some people might go stir-crazy, unless you're there for the cross-country skiing or just want to spend the day on the hotel porch watching trains.

My wife, mother-in-law, and grandmother-in-law stayed in the GN 441 locomotive for 2 nights last summer. It was superb! I can confirm that there is an ADA-compliant concrete platform at the station, which is a quick walk (or van ride) around the bend just past the hotel. The food at the restaurant is great, and the train-watching is excellent! I'm a technophile, so being without a constant internet or cell connection was difficult at first, but the relaxing scenery made up for it after a while.

The GN 441 is an expensive room, and a bit cramped for 4 (there's a bedroom and the couch pulls out into a queen-size bed), but there's a beautiful full kitchen with granite tops and stainless appliances, and the loco cab is fully original (the horn doesn't work, sadly - though I'm sure the hotel patrons appreciate that!). I spent lots of time sitting in the engineer's seat fulfilling my childhood fantasy of driving a train. :)

Highly recommended, at least for a few days, during any Glacier vacation.

That place just moved to the top of my bucket list. Thank you so much for the description and pictures. It sounds like a perfect place for a vacation. Plus, I've been eager to take the EB for a while.

I'm going to talk to my boyfriend and see if we can go next year. :)

FWIW, there was an article in Trains magazine within the last year or so discussing the conversion of GN441 into a room. I can't remember which month t was, but the owner and his wife (he's with BNSF)purchased the loco from a scrapper, and had all the exterior work and cab recon done at a locomotive contract shop in Alba IA. From there, it was shipped by rail to the inn, where the interior finish was done. The cab is fully restored with all the appropriate seating, gauges, and the like, and is aimed at the tracks. One side of the locomotive has one or two panels that open electrically to picture windows, or close so it looks original. The article has lots of pictures of the whole conversion process and finished product. Would be well worth checking out if you're headed that way.

The route guide says the inn is a "flag stop". Is there a platform/shelter near the tracks, or do we just stand by the side of the tracks and look adorable?

Edit: Never mind. Reading comprehension fail. Someone mentioned the platform up there. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
The route guide says the inn is a "flag stop". Is there a platform/shelter near the tracks, or do we just stand by the side of the tracks and look adorable?

Edit: Never mind. Reading comprehension fail. Someone mentioned the platform up there. :blush:
There is a concrete platform; no shelter, but you can wait for the train in the hotel van.

In addition to the 441 and the cabooses, I've heard that the Izaak recently purchased an old Great Northern streamlined sleeping car, which in coming months will be rehabbed to provide yet more railroad-themed lodging.

Look for the PBS series "Historic Railway Lodges Of The West". One episode features the Izaak Walton Inn. Watch that episode and you will most definitely choose to stay there.

Who is (or was) Izaak Walton, you may ask.

Wikipedia: "Izaak Walton (9 August 1593 – 15 December 1683) was an English writer. Best known as the author of The Compleat Angler, he also wrote a number of short biographies which have been collected under the title of Walton's Lives."

I have always heard of him in the context of being an early authority on fly-fishing, and I imagine that the Inn is named for him in that connection since, if I understand correctly, there is some great fishing to be found in Glacier.

Anyone here taken the train to Glacier with their flyrod with them? How was the fishing?

The conductor has what is called a manifest. Which shows how many passengers boarding and detraining at each station. When a flagstop has passengers boarding and detraining the conductor will notify the head end to stop there. eTicketing will provide up to the minute manifests. Unlike the current.

I have stayed there several times I spent 5 days there at the end of July 2010 The Red Cars up to the divide are a must You can rent a car at the Inn go to their website to make arrangements I had a rental and that worked well will be back there next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back