It summer, schools out, what are your rail plans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
What are your rail travel plans for this summer? B)

Next week I will be taking my first trip on the Downeaster between North Station and Portland. In August, I'm off to Chicago on the Capitol Limited (both ways) via Regional service from Boston. In between I hope to get in one or two more of my MBTA excersions. Expect full reports and lots of photos!!!

I probably won't get to do much in the way of rail travel, except maybe an NJ Transit Ride or two, but I will update my site, starting now.

Amfleet said:
What are your rail travel plans for this summer? B)
Next week I will be taking my first trip on the Downeaster between North Station and Portland. In August, I'm off to Chicago on the Capitol Limited (both ways) via Regional service from Boston. In between I hope to get in one or two more of my MBTA excersions. Expect full reports and lots of photos!!!
Well, "school's out" hasn't been relevant to me for over 20 years :rolleyes: but I am planning a round trip between Mount Pleasant, IA and Pittsburgh, PA in September. (see below) (Tickets were purchased during the rail sale.) Unfortunately, that's all I've got planned for a major trip in the near future. :(

I will be in Chicago at least once this summer and will be utilizing the CTA.

I'm sure there will various trainspotting activities during the summer, too.

seajay

Sept 12, 2003:

MTP-CHI via Train #6 - coach

CHI-PGH via Train #40 - Viewliner Std Bedroom #1

Sept 13, 2003:

PGH-CHI via Train #41 - Viewliner Std Bedroom #5

Sept 14, 2003:

CHI-MTP via Train #5 - coach

This will be my first trip on Viewliner equipment.

I personally am riding on a Wednesday-Friday regular, 98 up and either 91 or 97 back, and ocasionally I'll throw an extra trip in there too. Also, I will be taking Amtrak to Baltimore later this month. We leave Sunday the 29th on 98 with Room 2 in the 11 car. On the return from Baltimore on July 6, we will take Reigonal 195 from Baltimore to Washington, hang out in ClubAcela for a few hours, and the return on 91 in room 2 in the 10 car. While in Baltimore rail excursions include, a ride behind steam and in a doodlebug in Delaware, along with a tour of Amtrak's Locomotive "Maintenence" Facility in Wilmington (Maintenence is in captions because we are all convinced no real maintenence is done on our engines). Also I will ride behind to Pennsy E-8's on a trip through Pennsylvania on the NS freight only Port Road Sub. So all in all, an exciting summer for me. :D

Well, I got out of school about 40 years ago.

My plans are:

8/10 lv. ATl standard sleeper

8.11 ar WAS

8./11 WAS- BOS Acela first class

8/12 round trip Bos-Portland, business class

8/13 Bos-NY Acela business class

Intend to do some subway/commuter riding in NYC

8/16-17 NY-ATL delux bedroom

I'm off this weekend from Akron to Minneapolis on the Three Rivers and Empire Builder, and hoping to get some side trips in on Metra during my layovers in Chicago. Then in August a big trip from Akron to Granby, Colorado on the 3R and CZ to visit my brother. Haven't planned my July trip yet, but I see they just added some new rail sale routes.....

Coachclass

www.geocities.com/coachseats

Im planning to buy a couple of those E-bay tickets and ride to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited to visit my aunt and that big layout at the Technology Museum! Maybe even a trip to the top of the Sears Tower. I would also like to take a trip to New York. . . too bad those damn terrorists destroyed my favorite NYC landmarks of all time :( but theres other intresting stuff to do there as well!

My 7 year old daughter and I will be taking the Coast Starlight leaving June 26th, from Seattle to Oxnard, CA and returning the 28th of July. We are in a standard sleeper both ways.

We purchased the tickets in January and have been counting the days ever since and it's been pure torture for both of us. :D

Diane

Toronto, Winnipeg, Jasper, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Glenwood Springs, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington D.C., Boston, New York (city), Monreal, Quebec (city), Toronto.

First time travelling to all those places apart from Montreal. Am I crazy?

P40Power said:
Im planning to buy a couple of those E-bay tickets and ride to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited to visit my aunt and that big layout at the Technology Museum!  Maybe even a trip to the top of the Sears Tower. I would also like to take a trip to New York. . . too bad those damn terrorists destroyed my favorite NYC landmarks of all time :(  but theres other intresting stuff to do there as well!
P-40 Power,

I too will be visiting the giant model railroad layout at the Museum of Science and Industry in August, plus all the other cool exhibits there including a real live replica of the original Zephyr. Last year, they were in the process of building that layout so I missed it. Save your self the time and the money and go up the John Hancock tower. Though not as tall, the view was much better. However, if you want a stunning view of Amtrak's chicago yards, by all means go up the Sears Tower. Heck, do both. B)

Everyone else seems to have some pretty extensive trips planned out for this summer! :)

42 said:
Toronto, Winnipeg, Jasper, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Glenwood Springs, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington D.C., Boston, New York (city), Monreal, Quebec (city), Toronto.
First time travelling to all those places apart from Montreal.  Am I crazy?

Nope, you're not crazy. It sounds like a wonderful trip. :) I'm jealous! :lol: :D :)

Have fun!!!! :) :)

My company sent me to Chi-town next week, and I'll be round-tripping it on the LSL (yippee!), albeit in coach. :) The trip will begin, as usual, on NJT's Main Line.

As for the rest of the summer, I save my vacation time 'til the fall for football trips. Amtrak MUST serve Nashville some day.

Thanks for the advice Amfleet about going up into the John Hancock building. Now does the John Hancock have an open air observation deck? Most big buildings dont, the World Trade Center had a great one on its South Tower. The twin towers really had the most suitable design for observation decks since the roof floor was just as big as the ground floor since it didnt taper towards the top like almost all the taller buildings do. Ive been up in the Empire State Building before and it was really cramped on the 86th floor and even more on the 102nd! I prefered the WTC because of its spaciousness. Anyways gettin back to the trains, well Ive been lookin at tickets, mainly those E-bay tickets that have been going really cheap. A month or so back they were offering a ROUND TRIP ticket from Albany to Chicago on the LSL for 9 bucks!! Man that was a bargan!! Unfortionatly they were for dates not fiting my schedule! Now the cheapest I found were 49 bucks or so. Thats still pretty cheap but there arent enough tickets for sale for my family to go. Well I check Amtrak and for a round trip the price would be in the 600 dollar range for all five of us to chicago !! Well maybe we can work something out in July. A trip to New York City would be nice, especially if we could get a trip that uses the Turboliner. ALB-NYC isnt inexpensive either, but its fairly reasonable and gives a nice ride down the hudson. I was also thinking of a possible trip to my Uncle's in New Hampshire using 448 and switching to North Station via a subway transfer at Back Bay. Fron North Station ride the T up to Newburyport which is a short distance from his hometown of Seabrook, NH. Thats a relitively inexpensive trip. If I dont get to ride the train this summer, I will definatly get a chance this fall on this years Berkshire Foliage Flyer charter Amtrak train, but I would really love a long distance trip on the Lake Shore too . . .

P40, I just have to say this, in you signature

4,000 HP of Pure Passenger Pulling Power
It's more like 3200 once you take away the 800 horsepower or so that HEP uses. I just had to get that out of my system. :D

June 12: Capitol Corridor RT (Martinez -> Great America)

June 17: San Joaquin RT (Martinez -> Yosemite National Park)

June 18: Capitol Corridor RT (Martinez -> Six Flags Marine World/Vallejo)

June 19 (Today): Capitol Corridor RT (Martinez -> Great America). The CCJPA hosted a "rider appreciation day" with a summer beach theme on train 544 on my way home between Great America and Emeryville. There were free snacks (cheese, crackers, cookies, fruit, etc), a free raffle (in which I won a gift certificate for free Haagan Daaz ice cream), beach music, and free gifts (CC pencils, coffee mugs, pins, etc). LOTS of fun, esp. after a hot and exhausting day at the amusement park.

June 21: Capitol Corridor RT (Martinez -> Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk).

June 23: San Joaquin OW (Martinez -> Las Vegas via thruway from Bakersfield)

June 26: San Joaquin OW (Las Vegas -> Martinez via thruway to Bakersfield)

June 30: Coast StarLATE OW (Martinez -> Simi Valley) I might do this trip on the San Joaquin if the Starlate is running too late - we'll just have to wait to see.

July 4: Pacific Surfliner OW (Chatsworth -> Los Angeles)

July 4-6: Sunset Limited OW (Los Angeles -> Orlando) w/ deluxe room

July 18-20: Sunset Limited OW (Orlando -> Los Angeles) w/ deluxe room

July 20: Pacific Surfliner OW (Los Angeles -> Chatsworth)

July 22: Coast Starlate OW (Simi Valley -> Martinez)

and after that probably a few more trips to Six Flags Marine World and Great America from my home station of Martinez (I have the season passes and a ten-trip ticket for each)... we'll just have to wait and see, I haven't planned quite this far yet...

High school is finally over! :D I'll be starting at the University of Nevada/Reno on August 20.

Enjoy your summer! B) B) B)

P40Power said:
Too bad those damn terrorists destroyed my favorite NYC landmarks of all time :(
I know, the Twin Towers were my favorite landmarks in NYC, I went to the top 3 times, my last time it was about 3-months before the attacks, I shutter every time I think about it, but there is much more to see in NYC. But the greatest loss wasn’t the Towers, it was the people who were in them on that horrible day. :( :( :(

I'm new here but an avid rail fan (MS Train Simulator..and Aura's Trainz are on the computer). I plan to finally take that train from Chicago to Milwaukee and back. I know it's not a "glamour" trip but It's about the best I can do to make a one day round trip ride....atleast for now. Maybe the new high speed to downstate Illinois wiil change that :D . A while back when I was in school at University of Miami, I loved that ride from Miami to Chicago..going throught Wash. DC. There was about a 4 hour layover. I would grab a Metro for a quick trip to nowhere (LOL) and back to Union Station to continue my Amtrak ride. My one other goal is to get back to the eastcoast (on Amtrak) and ride the Acela..then head back to Chicago the next day. Crazy huh?...Just got alot of time and a few duckettes to spare. Any other intersting places to visit? . Let me know!!!

IGo

P40Power said:
Thanks for the advice Amfleet about going up into the John Hancock building. Now does the John Hancock have an open air observation deck? Most big buildings dont, the World Trade Center had a great one on its South Tower. The twin towers really had the most suitable design for observation decks since the roof floor was just as big as the ground floor since it didnt taper towards the top like almost all the taller buildings do. Ive been up in the Empire State Building before and it was really cramped on the 86th floor and even more on the 102nd! I prefered the WTC because of its spaciousness. Anyways gettin back to the trains, well Ive been lookin at tickets, mainly those E-bay tickets that have been going really cheap. A month or so back they were offering a ROUND TRIP ticket from Albany to Chicago on the LSL for 9 bucks!! Man that was a bargan!! Unfortionatly they were for dates not fiting my schedule! Now the cheapest I found were 49 bucks or so. Thats still pretty cheap but there arent enough tickets for sale for my family to go. Well I check Amtrak and for a round trip the price would be in the 600 dollar range for all five of us to chicago !! Well maybe we can work something out in July. A trip to New York City would be nice, especially if we could get a trip that uses the Turboliner. ALB-NYC isnt inexpensive either, but its fairly reasonable and gives a nice ride down the hudson. I was also thinking of a possible trip to my Uncle's in New Hampshire using 448 and switching to North Station via a subway transfer at Back Bay. Fron North Station ride the T up to Newburyport which is a short distance from his hometown of Seabrook, NH. Thats a relitively inexpensive trip. If I dont get to ride the train this summer, I will definatly get a chance this fall on this years Berkshire Foliage Flyer charter Amtrak train, but I would really love a long distance trip on the Lake Shore too . . .
I'm not sure if the Hancock had an outside observation deck or not. I forget. $600 for 5 passengers roundtrip is quite a deal if you compared that with the airlines prices. Anyway, it seems you have your options open. B)

42 said:
First time travelling to all those places apart from Montreal. Am I crazy?
Nope, I could get up on ALL THAT ALL DAY!!!!!! :D :D :D

I love those Canadian Trains with the dome cars. If you got the money, just DO IT!

I'm a teacher in Chicago, we finish Tuesday, and on Monday, June 30 my dad and I are going to Europe. And yes, I got some railroading lined up for this trip. I will do a trip report when I get back.

Well battalion, lets just say the 800 HP for the HEP is part of the passenger pulling experience! And Amfleet 600 isnt too bad, a little expensive though compared to them Ebay deals Ive been looking for! Maybe we will spend the 600 for the great trip. In 1998 on a trip to chicago it cost my grandparents over a grand to travel from Pittsfield to Chicago in a Viewliner, but then again it was a Viewliner. As for the Twin Towers, I agree that the greatest loss was the people but loosing the Skyscrapers themselves isnt no little loss. The city definatly doesnt look right without them and I still feel that they should be rebuilt just as they once were!

Just a suggestion, but you may want to take a Regional from Springfeild to Washginton DC then the Capitol Limited from Washington DC to Chicago. The price always seems to be less than a thru trip on the Lake Shore Limited, plus you get new miles on the Northeast Corridor and on the Capitol Limited route (assuming you have not traversed these routes yet). On top of that the Capitol Limited uses Superliners which are much nicer than the Amfleet II Coaches and complete access to the Sightseer Lounge.

You know what Amfleet, thats a pretty neat idea! I would love to see what the Superliners are like and ride on some untraveled territory! Hey do they still run thru trains from Springfield to Washington or are all the trains shuttles from SPG to NHV requiring a switch to a Boston Regional. I wouldnt mind taking a shuttle, but a thru would be more convienent then switching at NHV. I would also love to see what the train is like going over the 125 MPH Northeast Corridor (sure it isnt the Acela Expresses 18 Miles of 150, but 125 is pretty darn fast to me!) I also enjoy riding the rebuilt Amfleet Regional Coaches so I wouldnt mind them at all, I will definatly check out this trip.

jccollins said:
High school is finally over! :D I'll be starting at the University of Nevada/Reno on August 20.
JC,

Congratulations graduate! :)

Have fun in college, not too much fun, but enjoy it. :lol:

IGoDwnTwn said:
I'm new here but an avid rail fan (MS Train Simulator..and Aura's Trainz are on the computer). I plan to finally take that train from Chicago to Milwaukee and back. I know it's not a "glamour" trip but It's about the best I can do to make a one day round trip ride....atleast for now. Maybe the new high speed to downstate Illinois wiil change that :D . A while back when I was in school at University of Miami, I loved that ride from Miami to Chicago..going throught Wash. DC. There was about a 4 hour layover. I would grab a Metro for a quick trip to nowhere (LOL) and back to Union Station to continue my Amtrak ride. My one other goal is to get back to the eastcoast (on Amtrak) and ride the Acela..then head back to Chicago the next day. Crazy huh?...Just got alot of time and a few duckettes to spare. Any other intersting places to visit? . Let me know!!!
IGo
IGO,

Welcome to our forum. :)

If you come east to ride the Acela, I suggest taking the Lake Shore or the Three Rivers to New York. Then you can play in NY for a little while, before catching the Acela to Boston.

I recomend riding the Acela to Boston for two reasons. One the train only hits its top speed of 150 MPH between Boston and NY. It never goes that fast south of NY. Secondly, at present the Acela costs far less between NYP and BOS.

After arriving in Boston, stay overnight and play on some of the Boston trains, before returning on the Lake Shore from Boston. It makes for a nice round trip.

In the meantime any trip on Amtrak will do, even the short one you've already got planned. Have fun! :) :D :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back