It summer, schools out, what are your rail plans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P40Power said:
You know what Amfleet, thats a pretty neat idea! I would love to see what the Superliners are like and ride on some untraveled territory! Hey do they still run thru trains from Springfield to Washington or are all the trains shuttles from SPG to NHV requiring a switch to a Boston Regional. I wouldnt mind taking a shuttle, but a thru would be more convienent then switching at NHV. I would also love to see what the train is like going over the 125 MPH Northeast Corridor (sure it isnt the Acela Expresses 18 Miles of 150, but 125 is pretty darn fast to me!) I also enjoy riding the rebuilt Amfleet Regional Coaches so I wouldnt mind them at all, I will definatly check out this trip.
Regional #143 is a thru train from SPG to WAS and #146 is a thru train from WAS to SPG. Both trains allow plenty of connection times to/from the Capitol Limited. Riding an Amcan at 125mph is still and experience, but I'll say nothing more. Superliners are awsome too, even if you do not have a sleeper. Seats seem to be nicer than the Amfleet II Coaches, and the ride is definetly smoother by beeing on the upper level.

amtrakadirondack said:
I know, the Twin Towers were my favorite landmarks in NYC, I went to the top 3 times, my last time it was about 3-months before the attacks, I shutter every time I think about it, but there is much more to see in NYC.
One week before they came down, I was in the basement switching from an E train to the Path trains.

While they were quite a landmark no doubt, I'm also old enough to remember when they weren't there. As a child growing up in NJ, I watched the towers go up. So for me the ultimate NY landmark has always been the Empire State Building.

Alan, with my memory span the Empire State Building was hard to beat, also------my first memories of it were in the old "King Kong" black and white movie. .

Oh The Empire State Building is amazing as well! Its definatly the heart of New York City. But dont forget King Kong scaled the Twin Towers in the 1976 remake! :D But I would say that the Twin Towers obtained great landmark status in New York, I mean they made the lower Manhatten skyline what it is, which is probably the most famous skyline in the world. Anyways I would love to see how the "Amcans" (I actually like Amfleet Cars though) ride down the famous corridor. The only through train from Springfield leaves at 6 AM for DC so I would definatly have enough connection time. Well the Superliners must be great then if they are more comfortable then Amfleet IIs because I always thought Amfleet IIs were extremely comfortable! I would love to ride in an Amfleet II that has been refurbished into concept 2000 with the better colors for the interior, from what I understand most of the fleet has been upgraded to it.

Amfleet said:
I'm not sure if the Hancock had an outside observation deck or not. I forget. $600 for 5 passengers roundtrip is quite a deal if you compared that with the airlines prices. Anyway, it seems you have your options open. B)
Yes, the John Hancock building has an outdoor section. It's not very big and is screened off but you get a nice breeze, that's for sure. I agree that the overall view is much nicer than you get at the Sears Tower, particularly because of the better north and south view of the lakefront.

seajay

seajay said:
Amfleet said:
I'm not sure if the Hancock had an outside observation deck or not. I forget. $600 for 5 passengers roundtrip is quite a deal if you compared that with the airlines prices. Anyway, it seems you have your options open. B)
Yes, the John Hancock building has an outdoor section. It's not very big and is screened off but you get a nice breeze, that's for sure. I agree that the overall view is much nicer than you get at the Sears Tower, particularly because of the better north and south view of the lakefront.

seajay
I went up the Hancock as the sun was setting and it was absolutely stunning. Seajay, after reminding me I do remember the walk ways and I think the Sears was set up somewhat similar.

Just finished the California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento.

(you can see my photos of this trip on my website (link below))

Going to ride the Crescent from ATL-New Orleans in 18 days

Riding the Capital from Sacramento to Martinez-about 25 days

Riding The Crescent from ATL-New York Standard bedroom-44 days

:D . All of your trips sound awesome!

Have a great time!!

Well let's see. I've got a round trip on the Lake Shore Limited between New York and Chicago in mid-July, and riding quite a few CTA, South Shore, and METRA trains in between the two trips.

Other than that, just day trips or short overnights within the Northeast Corridor. I'd like to go up to Lowell, MA and ride the trolleys at the National Historic Museum there. I have also been meaning to take trips to two big trolley museums I've never been to, in Kennebunkport, ME and Washington, PA (south of Pittsburgh).

Other than that, I am a little too busy this year to take the traditional late June trip that I've taken the last several years when my son gets out of school.

Next weekend I'm riding the Kentucky Cardinal from Lafayette to Louisville and back. Late July I'm riding the Capitol from Bryan, Ohio to Chicago and back for a weekend trip. Early August I'm riding the Lakeshore from Waterloo to Boston, a combination of trains down the NEC to visit friends, and the Capitol back from D.C.

I've been out of school since 1965. But that's beside the point.

My next scheduled trip is on Saturday, July 26:

Pacific Surfliner 774 from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles Union Station.

The Pasadena Gold Line on its opening day.

Pacific Surfliner 775 from Los Angeles Union Station to Santa Barbara.

You can all expect a very pictorial trip report.

In 12 days my two kids, my wife and I will be leaving on the Sunset Limited for Orlando. We've got a family bedroom reserved (bought the tickets in December, so we got a good deal). We're stoked!

AlanB said:
One week before they came down, I was in the basement switching from an E train to the Path trains.
While they were quite a landmark no doubt, I'm also old enough to remember when they weren't there.  As a child growing up in NJ, I watched the towers go up.  So for me the ultimate NY landmark has always been the Empire State Building.
A week before they came down?! That would be to close for me! I thought 3 months was close, now I feel very lucky!

Since the subject came up:

During winter recessin 1993 I spent a day in lower Manhattan and was eating lunch in the Sbarro in the food court right near the PATH entrance in the WTC exactly one week to the second the truck bomb went off talk about luck.

In 2001 I spent a week attenting a class at NY Law School about 8 blocks north of the WTC and I ate lunch every day in the shops at WTC. This was 3 months before they came down. I was living in Sac just over one month when everything happened, not a fun day to say the least.

I don't remember NYC without the WTC, and I always perferred the ESB to them because my grandfather directed traffic in front of it back in the 1930's. It is still weird to go to the city and see lower Manhattan without it but such is life I guess.

Greetings. Thought this would make a good first post.

July Vacation

July 12th – Rochester NY – Eastman House(Dryden Theatre) to see the “North by Northwest”.

July 13th – Cambridge Springs PA visit my father and most important;) take a ride on the Oil Creek & Titusville excursion train.

July 17th – Amtrak to Utica station – Adirondack Scenic Railroad to Old Forge – Amtrak to Syracuse stop(not to be confused with a station such as Utica has).

July 21th – Amtrak to Boston – hopefully early enough to attend a Red Sox game.

July 22nd – Downeaster to Portland for a concert(Schooner Fare). Probably not enough time for the Narrow Gauge Museum/Excursion Train(bummer).

July 23rd – Downeaster to Boston and a Boston Red Sox's game.

July 24th – Boston to New York, check out a few sights.

Jult 25th – New York to Syracuse.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Sounds like fun!!!!!!! :)
Should be. My only worry is the Thursday from Syracuse to Utica on the Late Sure Likely since it has been running 1+ hours late. Oh well.. check how late it is and then drive instead of taking the train.

Well.. I leave for New Orleans on the Crescent tommorow morning. I will board in Atlanta, Georgia. I am so excited!!!!!! :D

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Well.. I leave for New Orleans on the Crescent tommorow morning. I will board in Atlanta, Georgia. I am so excited!!!!!!   :D
May the road crews and freights move aside for your conveyance in honor of who it bears within its mighty structure ;) .

Have a safe and fun trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back