Its Done!!!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
i finally made up my mnd.Im going to take the SWC WB to LA..I will have a roomette for the trip out West.Once there i will take Coast Starlight with a roomette for the trip to Emeryville. Once im in Emeryvile will stay a extra night at the Washington Inn In Oakland.THen Im off onboard the CZ back home Phila. I hope this trip is great.I have been reading alot about theses two routes for awhile .I hope im a not disappointed My dates Our Oct 19-26.Thanks again to the people who helped out with this trip.Im been looking forward to this trip for a very long time.Hope that this is not my last one

Greg

Sounds like the perfect time of year! Love the Coast Starlight. One of our favorite spots on the Zephyr was the canyon on the right hand side of the train outside of Colfax. Look for it... it's amazing.

If you are seated in the Sightseer Lounge Car on the CZ between Sacramento and Reno, you will likely hear a docent describe the route over the P.A. system. This docent monologue previously was broadcast throughout the train over the P.A., but has been limited to the lounge car for the past six months or so.

Tamarask along the banks of the Colorado River between Westwater, UT and Dotsero, CO may still be in their fall colors (a subtle salmon) during the week of your trip. And early snows be dust the peaks of California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.

Well, it's good you've done your "research", just bear in mind, Amtrak is no land cruise, not even CLOSE. Except for the scenery. You could get a train with a great crew and chef, or not.

You could have a trip free of mechanical malfunctions, delays, and other technical gobbledygook, or not.

With the right attitude, (think car-camping vs. 4-Star hotel), you will be alright.

Shouldn't have to be that way, but that's reality.

Well, it's good you've done your "research", just bear in mind, Amtrak is no land cruise, not even CLOSE. Except for the scenery. You could get a train with a great crew and chef, or not.
You could have a trip free of mechanical malfunctions, delays, and other technical gobbledygook, or not.

With the right attitude, (think car-camping vs. 4-Star hotel), you will be alright.

Shouldn't have to be that way, but that's reality.
Car Camping - I like that!

As long as it's not Sightseer Lounge car camping!
DITTO!!!
But taking a late evening nap in the PPC is allowed! They are such a classic and historic car you want to enjoy as much time in there as you can before they are gone.
Yeah, I can see your point, but I've seen many folks waiting for an empty seat while people are sleeping or reading, not even using it to sight see!!! I even had a guy say he was saving the seat next to him for his daughter who had gone to the room to take a nap!!!

I don't know how "inexpensive" you mean, but if you want convenience, you can't get more convenient than (I think is is) the Hyatt House! Go up the stairs or elevator to the bridge over the tracks at the end of the platform, walk over the bridge - and you're there! Some rooms even overlook the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back