It's the ride, not the destination

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading and pondering all the posts and links shared earlier this week.

But in browsing the brochure and Amtrak travel website I see tours tours, hotels, restaurants, etc.

I have lived in a city all my life. I want to get away from cities! LOL

I know what I want, but I need your opinion..am I doing something unheard of? Crazy? Signing myself up for boredom?

Spending tons of money?

My purpose for looking into Amtrak is :

1)Going from Boston to Chicago

2)Picking up the Zephyr and traveling to California.

Then I want to travel in a circle and hop a return train going back to Chicago-Boston from another route.

I don't want to stay in hotels, do the night scene, go to museums, eat in trendy restaurants or hike mountain trails.

I want to ride ride ride far away from concrete , glass and elevators, contemplate,journal, photograph and simply enjoy the scenery I have never experienced in my lifetime..right in my own country.

I want to get a bedroom where I can shut the door and be around people in the lounge or dining room when I want, not when a group is assigned to do something together.

Is this possible, feasible, sensible, do-able? Do people do this or only travel to a final destination with the purpose of sightseeing in certain cities.

With me it's the solitude of theride, not the destination that I am seeking.

HONESTY, PLEASE!

People do do it, though I personally haven't yet.

As for a routing, if you didn't want to go back through Chicago, then you could take the Coast Starlight down to Los Angeles, then catch the Sunset Limited to New Orleans, then the Crescent as far as New York up the Northeast Corridor going on a regional or Acela the rest of the way back to Boston. The SSL and Crescent aren't the most scenic of routes, that award probably goes to the Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr and Cardinal, and you'd have to schedule around the 3-day per week Sunset Limited, but if you're just going to ride and want a change from the Northeast without "backtracking" through Chicago, it's certainly worth a look (and being an Atlanta boy, I'll definitely recommend the Crescent :p )

BTW-is it bad that even if I've ridden Amtrak very little, I could draw the route map and a good many stations from memory? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken the Sunset from LA to NOLA [one night hotel stay only because I had to]Crescent from NOLA to DC Capitol Limited to Chicago and finally the Chief from Chicago back to LA. Full circle. LOVED it. I want to do it again. Best vacation ever!

Teresa, this trip sounds heavenly! I see that you are a retired teacher, so I think you have earned and deserve this trip. Have fun and keep us posted.

Your trip sounds great, and I can completely identify with your goals. My only comment is the following:

Both here and in the other thread, you mentioned getting a bedroom. Having traveled in Amtrak sleepers pretty extensively, I would recommend against a bedroom for the solo traveler for the following reasons:

1) A bedroom can easily be 2-3 times the cost of a roomette.

2) The in-room shower and toilet are not particularly useful. Both the shower and toilet are squeezed into one tiny compartment smaller than a phone booth. I never take showers there, and always head for the public shower, which has at least 4 times the floor space, or 8 times the floor space if you count the changing room. Likewise, the in-room toilet is pretty pointless: you will have your own toilet in a Viewliner roomette anyway, and on a Superliner, there are 4 public bathrooms for 14 roomettes. This is an excellent ratio, the public bathrooms in sleeper cars tend to be quite clean, and have a lot more floor space than the tiny thing you'll have in your bedroom.

3) I actually find traveling solo in a roomette more comfortable than in a bedroom. You can sit in one seat and put your feet up on the other cushy seat facing you, as opposed to a poorly-padded fold-out chair in a bedroom. You also have armrests on both sides, as opposed to just one side when you sit on the big couch thing in a bedroom. The compactness of the roomette also feels cozier to me, and everything is within arm's reach.

4) Finally, I find the orientation of the beds in a roomette (parallel to the motion of the train) more natural and comfortable than in a bedroom (perpendicular to the motion of the train).

I'm jealous. Do it!

I recommend the Empire Builder and Cardinal for your return trip, but the Capitol Limited and Lakeshore Limited are nice as well.

With me it's the solitude of the ride, not the destination that I am seeking.

HONESTY, PLEASE!
Aloha

Except that this breaks the Solitude, Can I come with you? If only I had the time and money. What you want to do is Fantastic!!!

Hi,

Broadly speaking, how you live your life, and plan your trip, is in your own hands, now that your time is your own...

When you travel by public transport, you are not on a tour, you are on a journey, where you have to rely on your self, more than others, to achieve the result that is right for you.

I love the wide open spaces seen from Amtrak trains, I like the ambling pace of travel, I like the melting pot of "steerage" in coach class, and the slightly posh air of a roomette.. (not that I book a roomette unless it is at it's lowest price!)

I have taken many Amtrak rail trips with the older style rail pass, alone and with my young son, and an example trip starting in New York, have visited Washington, Chicago, New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Buffalo (Niagara Falls) and so back to New York..

The hotels are not important, but you will sometimes need to stop somewhere overnight between trains.. sadly, in America, this means in a major city, as you can only connect between trains there. I often stay in youth hostels (despite being 58, as they cater for all ages!) partly for reasons of economy, partly for the pleasure of being challenged to move outside my comfort zones, and meet new people..

You can travel to Sacramento on the Zephyr, overnight in a very handy hostel, take the train to Bakersfield, bus connection to Los Angeles, and catch the evening SW Chief train back to Chicago and so on to Boston.. Probably a bit too rushed, but avoiding most hotels! I find that the trains become a traveling "village community", so it is indeed "the destination" in some ways.

Other options would be to return home on the Sunset limited to New Orleans, then back via New York, or Chicago..

I like long distance train travel because it is a little bubble of "me" time, I am away from responsibilities, just watching the world go by.. my advice would be not to set too many pre conditions on achieving your enjoyment, travel light, and travel with the hope of fresh experiences, not fear of the unknown..

Depending on when you go, an off peak Jan or Feb round the country trip in a roomette would not cost the earth.. Chicago to

San Francisco, Seattle, or Los Angeles would cost around $260 to $300 each way for a roomette, plus the basic rail fare, or you could buy a rail pass to reduce the cost even more.

Even in economical coach, maybe not your scene, but you can read a book, listen to music on headphones, and stare out the window in peace.. it's not all a 24 hour party!

You could look at the schedules, timetables, and costs of fares, and see what you fancy.. you choose where to go, and what to see.. I think the Zephyr is my favourit route, with some stunning scenery between Denver and Sacramento.

Go for it!

Eddie :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do "circle trips" all the time!
biggrin.gif
(I can't remember the last time that I went from point A to point B without going via points R, S, T and U first!)

I also agree with the recommendation about taking a roomette instead of a bedroom. Especially if you are traveling solo.

Also, remember to register with AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards) within 90 days of traveling.
wink.gif
The reason for the 90 days is that there is a sign-up bonus for AGR, but you have to ride Amtrak within 90 days of registering to get it! Since you live near Boston, you could even take Amtrak one way to Providence - and take MBTA back - to earn the AGR sign-up bonus points!
biggrin.gif

Hi Teresea,

I am making a circle trip next week. Although I am making 3 stops on my 14 days trip, my trip is about the ride, not the stops. I am going from Orlando, taking the Silver Meteor to WAS, then the Cardinal to CHI, then the CZ to SAC (with an overnight in Denver); then CS to Seattle; then Empire Builder back to CHI (with a stop in West Glacier), then Capitol Limited to WAS, then the Meteor back home.

I will be in bedrooms on all trains except the Silver Meteor. I will be traveling alone, I like the comfort of a bedroom. I use the "in room" toilet and shower and find in very convenient. I am fairly small, so the size of the "bathroom" is not an issue for me.

I think your "requirements" are workable and I think you will have a great time taking a train trip.

PS - as for the cost, it is not cheap, but I made my reservations 11 months ago and got low bucket prices, and I used AGR points to pay for part of the trip.

PPS - I think women like bedrooms with private showers and toilets more than men do (however, I may be wrong)

I just completed the "Columbus Loophole," going from Kansas City to Chicago via Los Angeles and Portland and had the time of my life. It was so entertaining on the Chief when folks would ask where I'm headed and I would simply reply "Chicago." They would then get puzzled and try to explain I am on the wrong train. I would calmly reply "No I'm not, this is my train to Chicago." I would then eventually explain the Loophole, at which point you determined the real train folks from those just going from Point A to Point B.

Anyways, this trip was 5 days and 5 nights and went way too fast. Upon arriving in Chicago (about 5 pounds more of me than when boarding in KCY), I wished I could have just hopped the Cap or "Chicken Bone Express" and punched out another 5 days.

Have fun!

My wife and I are in our 60's and have taken most of Amtrak trains for many of the same reasons you list. I guess my only difference is that at destination (presumably west coast) it is nice to take a few days to see the sights and get a couple good nights sleep (there is so much to see on the train, it is hard to fully relax). It doesn't have to be the big city like LA of SF.

But, getting back to the trains. The trains with the best service and scenery would be: the Lake Shore Ltd from Boston to Chicago (you'll get to see the Bershire mountains and a pleasant ride along the Mohawk river). This is a good train but not in the same league as others. At Chicago try the Empire Builder to Portland, great service and scenery - goes through the wide open great plains, Glacier National Park and the Cascade Mtns. - good service. Connect same day to the Coast Starlight - a special lounge car just for sleeper passengers and superb scenery. Take this to Sacramento. Nice city (with the excellent California State RR Museum). Spend at least one night to catch your breath (the Vagabond Inn-Old Town is supposed to be convenient and inexpensive). Then take Amtrak's top rated train for scenery, the California Zephyr - through the Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains, Denver and on to Chicago. Return home on the Capitol Ltd to Washington and sample the high speed Acela service back to Boston. I agree that a roomette is the best accommodation for the single traveler.

On the train you will not be bored. We always have a book in progress, but very rarely are many pages turned. Too much scenery, interesting passengers (spend time in the lounge cars) and enjoying meals in the dining car. The food is maybe not fine dining, but good enough and more than compensated by having your meal with the countryside speeding by at 80mph.

I rarely advise others what to do in the way of travel, because so much depends upon individual taste. But in this case, since we seem to have some things in common - I'm a slightly older (but not yet retired) music-loving prof from New England - I'll venture the opinion that the trip you have in mind will be very pleasurable, and rewarding. It's neither "crazy," prohibitively expensive, likely to bore anyone with an interest in this country, or unheard of - I, for one, did something similar last year and am looking forward to another such trip this fall. In other words, it's both feasible and (since I've done it) eminently sensible.

I would, however, (a.) second the recommendation to take a roomette instead of a bedroom;

(b.) take a northern route back (e.g., Coast Starlight to Portland, Empire Builder to Chicago) - much better scenery than you'll get on the more southerly routes - if, like most people (New Englanders, at any rate), you find green/trees/mountains attractive and brown/barren/flat not;

and (c.), make room in your schedule for a least a couple of hotel nights - San Francisco for sure (there are "cities," and then there is S.F.); and Portland (just for scheduling peace of mind) - three straight nights on a train without a break is enough for most people, including those of us who love train travel; or, if it's scenery you want, consider breaking the longer trips, e.g., Truckee (Lake Tahoe) on the way out or Glacier on the way back.

Best wishes for an enjoyable, and well-deserved trip.

I can't wait to go on a trip like this. My 30th birthday is coming up and I keep wishing this was my present - but its not. I do hope to take a long journey like this before I am in my 60s, but if I don't have the time before then, it will be one of the first things I do after I retire.

I have lived in a city all my life. I want to get away from cities! LOL

1)Going from Boston to Chicago

2)Picking up the Zephyr and traveling to California.

Then I want to travel in a circle and hop a return train going back to Chicago-Boston from another route.

I don't want to stay in hotels, do the night scene, go to museums, eat in trendy restaurants or hike mountain trails.

I want to ride ride ride far away from concrete , glass and elevators, contemplate,journal, photograph and simply enjoy the scenery I have never experienced in my lifetime..right in my own country.
You'll probably enjoy the trip more if you build in a day or two of "slack" on the west coast, so that in the event of a very late train, you can relax, knowing that your outbound train is not until the next day. Plus you'll have a chance to sleep in a bed that is not moving! So you might accept a night in a hotel, in exchange for knowing your connections are secure.

Additionally, another option to consider if you choose the Empire Builder for the eastbound return leg would be to stop for a day at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex, MT along the southern border of Glacier Nat'l Park. There is no town to speak of there, so if you want to get away from cities, this is the place! The "inn" is mostly wood, with only 33 rooms, no TV, no A/C, no phones in the rooms--it is rustic, but in a refreshing way. I've stopped there a half dozen times, and always found it relaxing. Just make sure you reserve a "non-trackside" room if you stay there, since there are trains going by on the tracks during the night. And you could always rent a car there if you wanted to drive around to see mountains, even if you don't want to hike in them.

Going from Boston to Chicago to California...

and a return train going back to Chicago-Boston from another route.
Sounds like a great idea!

Is this possible, feasible, sensible, do-able? Do people do this or only travel to a final destination with the purpose of sightseeing in certain cities.
Absolutely! I've done that several times. You could look up my Trip Reports on this website. I always travel Coach, but if you want a Roomette or Bedroom for some or all of the Journey, that would be your decision. By booking well in advance, you get the best rates.

Here's how I personally would schedule such a trip:

Morning departure from Boston on a Regional Train to New York, then same day departure on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then same day transfer to the California Zephyr to Sacramento, which is a good place for a Hotel overnight (after three nights on the Train).

Next morning (or a day later if you want to enjoy Sacramento itself, with its outstanding RailRoad Museum, Old Town, and a decent Light Rail System) catch the Coast Starlight southbound, through the San Francisco Bay Area and along the scenic coast of Southern California (best odds for daylight would be between March and September), and overnight either in Los Angeles or (continuing by evening Surfliner train) in San Diego.

Next morning, if in San Diego ride the Light Rail or Coronado Ferry and then Surfliner to Los Angeles. If staying in Los Angeles, have a meal at Philippe's (near Union Station) and ride some Light Rail (eg to Pasadena). That afternoon, catch the SouthWest Chief to Chicago across the Painted Desert of Arizona and through the Indian Pueblos of New Mexico.

From Chicago, catch the Capital Limited to Washington. The connection would be more relaxed if you overnight in Chicago. From Washington, train to Boston depending on timing. If you use the notorious overnight train, be sure to travel Business Class.

Enjoy! And let us all know how it goes.

You may find this website helpful. There are interactive route guides for the Long Distance trains. There are some pictures & maps, to help you decide on where you may want to stop along the way. For instance, on the California Zephyr Route, there are two small towns in Colorado you may be interested in-Glenwood Springs & Grand Junction. Sounds like a fun trip to me! Even if I was traveling alone, I think I still would rather have a bedroom. Half the fun is deciding where you want to go!

Hi Teresa..... I am a late 20's young dude looking forward to his first cross country train trip as well and going solo too; in my case it will be Los Angeles- Chicago on the Southwest Chief then the Pere Marquette to Grand Rapids, Michigan, with my final destination being Muskegon, Michigan. 4 days later, I will return to Southern California leaving from Kalamazoo Michigan to Chicago via Wolverine ( i think that's what train 351 is called), then the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville, then an Amtrak Bus ride from there to Santa Barbara, and finally the Pacific Surfliner from there to Anaheim, where I will continue from there to home....Santa Ana, CA.

I will do the entire trip in coach class, with the exception of Business Class in the Wolvie and Surfliner, and this will be done in a month's time. Wow. You will enjoy long distance train travel....you get to see our nation in a way not possible by cars or planes, meet many interesting people, eat interesting meals in the diner, and if you have a sleeper, having sanctuary doing all of this adventure. It is doable, and I do actually enjoy the journeys on train rides as much if not more than my final destination itself. It's a rolling community. Enjoy it, and your plans sounds awesome .

Teresa, I think you have been given great advice! I love train travel ... and agree, it is more the journey, than the destination! I think that breaking the trips up is also a good idea ... your body will appreciate not having to "sit" any longer! We had a bedroom on our first trip ... and it was fine ... but since then we always get two roomettes ... that way we can see out of both sides of the train ... and no one needs to climb into the top bunk. The bedroom does have a larger bed on the bottom, that is a sofa during the day ... but we did not find the bedroom chair very comfortable. The shower/toilet was FUNNY! Think phone booth ... but whatever you decide you WILL have a great time. We have taken DVD players, tons of books, games, etc. -- but nothing seems to come out of our bags until late, late evening ... the view out of our window is just too mesmerizing!

Also, a second vote for the CS (Coast Starlight) and EB (Empire Builder) on your way home ... our FAVORITES!!

I hear the preferences for a roomette rather than the bedroom.

As I read those comments from those who opted and prefer the hall bathrooms, and w/o double checking the posts, I thought "That must be a male writing this post".

Women like their own bathroom. Especially women my age. I thank you for the comments..I am definitely going with a bedroom accom.

Palmland..your trip suggestion sounds superb! How long would a trip like that take?

Now, this being the first time planning something like this, not knowing time tables, train changes, etc, I would be reluctant to arrange for tickets online. Is it best to go to a travel agent just for tickets or does AMtrak have an option where one can go in and plan ..NOT standing in line at a window with a line of people waiting behind you?

I would go in, knowing from these posts what type of route, accomodations, etc, but would like to take time and talk with with some type of agent.

I really can't get over the enthusiasm from all the Amtrak enthusiasts on this forum! It's catchy isn't it, this train thing?

teresa:

There are several ways to plan your trip.IMO the best way is to gather your research materials (ie National Amtrak Schedule/go online and do test bookings for various days/routes/fares/rooms etc./you can also get Amtrak Vacations but this is usually more like a group tour with pricey hotels mincluded. I wouldnt use a travel agent since there are very few that know about Amtrak and you can do just as well or better yourself.

Ive ridden every LD route in this country except the Silver trains in the past year and as others have said the western Routes,ie CZ/CS/EB/SWC :wub: (in that order) are the best/most scenic trains we have. You can talk with an Amtrak agent on the phone 24/7 for no charge,

I wont attempt to recommend routings since others have given you grerat advice and tips! This is a wonderful idea, as Bob Dylan said: "..it can cure the soul,can make it whole.."

Please ask any questions you may have, as youve seen lots of expertise and friendly folks here! :) Jim

not knowing time tables, train changes, etc, I would be reluctant to arrange for tickets online.
You can learn all about these things first.

Click on amtrak.com and select "timetables", then click to download the "Amtrak system timetable". Or ask for a printed copy at your nearby Amtrak Station (eg South Station in Boston).

To test connections, you could practice making "dummy reservations" on-line, just not going so far as to enter your identifying and payment information. I think they want at least an hour between long-distance connecting trains, but two hours is certainly better. With a "guaranteed" connection, they will get you through even if by bus. Where this might prove disappointing, I would spend an overnight (eg eastbound through Chicago) to be sure of enjoying the Rail Journey.

Is it best to go to a travel agent just for tickets or does Amtrak have an option where one can go in and plan ..NOT standing in line at a window with a line of people waiting behind you?

I... would like to take time and talk with with some type of agent.
You could talk with a live Agent by phone (tell the recorded voice, "Agent") or in person at a staffed station eg Boston South Station. Between departures there should be plenty of times when there is nobody in line and they will have the time to discuss your plans and concerns, with no obligation... so you can think things over (and ask us here!) before you decide just what you'd like best.

I agree with Jim. Many travel agents do not know much about Amtrak. You can call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) 24/7 and speak directly to an Amtrak agent who can help you at no charge. (When "Julie" {the automated voice} answers, just say "agent", and you will be connected!)

Also if you have any question, ask us, and we can try to help you! (We don't bite - TOO much!
laugh.gif
) And most times we will even give you right answers too!
tongue.gif

I hear the preferences for a roomette rather than the bedroom. As I read those comments from those who opted and prefer the hall bathrooms, and w/o double checking the posts, I thought "That must be a male writing this post". Women like their own bathroom. Especially women my age. I thank you for the comments..I am definitely going with a bedroom accom.
I honestly never thought about room selection being gender specific. Personally I found the (deluxe) bedroom to be a huge waste of space for me. So was the family bedroom, but at least it had the benefit of windows on both sides of the train. The roomette was just the right size for me. I travel light so I'm not really needing or wanting lots of space for luggage.

I would go in, knowing from these posts what type of route, accomodations, etc, but would like to take time and talk with with some type of agent.
As already mentioned most local travel agents will not have much in-depth (let alone firsthand) knowledge of Amtrak travel. It's just not something they're likely to deal with very often and I don't think they make much (if any) direct commission off Amtrak sales. Some Amtrak stations do have staff that can help you plan and ticket a trip but you'll be conversing with a ticket clerk at the counter and not a sit-down travel agent. The travel agent system has largely been replaced by phone banks and websites as long distance travel became a commodity. In my hometown we still have a few travel agents around for those who really want them. Instead of receiving commission from the carriers they now charge the traveler a percentage of the booking fees for their services. They will do some minor investigating for you and then you'll pay them directly on top of the usual ticket fees and such. Personally I don't think they're worth the money and there is virtually no way they could offer better information than AU, but if you absolutely require a sit-down meeting in order to feel comfortable about your endeavor that might be the way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back