Jets on Rails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
After alighting the Silver Star at 4:00pm at Baltimore from a nice weekend in Raleigh, I headed out to catch my #11 bus where I noticed 5 Academy coach buses waiting on the bridge just above the bus stop. Minutes later, the doors of Penn Station open to reveal a steady stream of mostly males rather quietly exiting the station and boarding the buses. At further glance, a couple of people were milling about with glossy photos of New York Jets and one had a miniature helmet plaque.

It then finally dawned on me that these were in fact the staffers and some players of the New York Jets, some of whom had Jets backpacks. Apparently, the fans gave up on seeing who they were looking for and resigned to returning to their hotel, thus one may assume others came by methods other than the Acela Express these folks came from. (Maybe some made special arrangements on the Silver Star?)

Still, of all the teams one would expect to see on the rails, the Jets might be the last based solely on their team name!

I read the bit about the jet backpacks and thought of...

photo_xalwaysnext%5B1%5D.jpg

After alighting the Silver Star at 4:00pm at Baltimore from a nice weekend in Raleigh, I headed out to catch my #11 bus where I noticed 5 Academy coach buses waiting on the bridge just above the bus stop. Minutes later, the doors of Penn Station open to reveal a steady stream of mostly males rather quietly exiting the station and boarding the buses. At further glance, a couple of people were milling about with glossy photos of New York Jets and one had a miniature helmet plaque.
It then finally dawned on me that these were in fact the staffers and some players of the New York Jets, some of whom had Jets backpacks. Apparently, the fans gave up on seeing who they were looking for and resigned to returning to their hotel, thus one may assume others came by methods other than the Acela Express these folks came from. (Maybe some made special arrangements on the Silver Star?)

Still, of all the teams one would expect to see on the rails, the Jets might be the last based solely on their team name!
Obviously the Jets arriving to play the Ravens on Monday Night Football pre-season. This happens all the time in the corridor. It's much easier for the teams to use Amtrak and let the players stretch out than to board a plane for a short flight. good business for Amtrak.

Most of the NY-Bal- WAS sport teams travel by train when playing each other. A few years ago the Caps (Washington's Hockey team for the sports impaired people) train broke down late one night on the way back from NY. They sat outside Newark, DE for 3 hours.

Most of the NY-Bal- WAS sport teams travel by train when playing each other. A few years ago the Caps (Washington's Hockey team for the sports impaired people) train broke down late one night on the way back from NY. They sat outside Newark, DE for 3 hours.
Did Joe Biden invite them over,then give them a ride on his Acela the next morning to WAS? :lol:

jet-train.jpg

Yes, this really happened.

The "Black Beetle" was an experimental jet powered that reached a record 183 mph in 1966.
Was Captain Midnight the engineer?Bet George Lucas might have seen this one as a kid and remembered it when he started making sci-fi movies! :lol:

Great pic,I bet this was a real HSR ride!(But how did they stop it???? :lol: )

Was Captain Midnight the engineer?Bet George Lucas might have seen this one as a kid and remembered it when he started making sci-fi movies! :lol: Great pic,I bet this was a real HSR ride!(But how did they stop it???? :lol: )

There was one on the other end facing the other direction. :eek:

For all the NIMBY's who complain about train horns, wait til they get a load of this!

Also, I'd like to see that thing take Horseshoe Curve!

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the NIMBY's who complain about train horns, wait til they get a load of this!Also, I'd like to see that thing take Horseshoe Curve!
The advantage of powering the train with 1960's era axial flow jet engines is that they could save money on the train horn. Would not need the horn when the train approches grade crossings because people would have a hard time hearing the horn over the roar of the engines. :blink:

jet-train.jpg

Yes, this really happened.

The "Black Beetle" was an experimental jet powered train that reached a record 183 mph in 1966.
the most significant point made in the linked arcticle is that after forty-three years, the record still stands. I consider that both remarkable, and yet at the same time a sad reflection on over four decades of development (or lack thereof) in this country.
Yeah its like the stories from the good ole days when steamers and streamliners hit 100mph+ and made LD runs quicker than today!Seems like tech progress applies to most things except passenger rail in this country!Its not a pipe dream to expect 21st century trains in the 21st century but guess Ill settle for matching the 30s and 40s crack trains with modern/safe equipment!Now is the time,lets keep the heat on WAS and our state and local politicos

while the getting is good! :) (and while were at it improve the food in the diners and cafe cars!

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the NIMBY's who complain about train horns, wait til they get a load of this!Also, I'd like to see that thing take Horseshoe Curve!
The advantage of powering the train with 1960's era axial flow jet engines is that they could save money on the train horn. Would not need the horn when the train approches grade crossings because people would have a hard time hearing the horn over the roar of the engines. :blink:
volkris should be interested in this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back