Jogger Hit by Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwschenk

Train Attendant
San Diego County authorities say a jogger is expected to survive after he was struck by an Amtrak train and thrown 40 feet off a bluff into rocks and brush below.

KNBC-TV reports the collision happened Friday on tracks that run along the ocean in Del Mar.

Officials say the southbound train was traveling about 50 mph when the engineer spotted the jogger on the tracks.

Investigators say the man apparently didn't know the train was coming until it hit him.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-jogger-amtrak-train-20160313-story.html

No comment! But now I know why the 579 was an hour late last Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
"the jogger on the tracks"

So, he was jogging on the tracks?
Doh.gif

When I lived in San Diego it was not unusual to hear on the news of people apparently committing suicide by standing on the tracks,

their backs turned toward oncoming trains.

Wow. He gets hit by a train at speeds close to 50mph and survives the Nestea plunge into rocks and brush, 40 feet below. He's like a human rabbit's foot...with less brain power, of course!

My empathy is for the crews on trains which folks decide to use to take their own lives. The Check Out Gang should just let their cars run in the garage

Daring Dives Defy Death, Train Rules : Thrills: Officials can't stop youths who dive from railroad trestle in Carlsbad as the train speeds by at 90 m.p.h.

August 10, 1992|JOHN M. GLIONNA | TIMES STAFF WRITER

"That kid had to pass 17 'No Trespassing' signs to reach that spot," Martin said. "What can we do? We've tried everything. The only thing that stops them is when they get too old for it and move on to something else."

For some, trestle jumping in the path of a passenger or freight train has become some perverse rite of passage.

"Well, there's other ways to prove your manhood, biological ways," Martin said. "Even if we installed an electric fence, had television monitors or an army of security out there, those boys would find a way to test their limits.

"They just don't know what they're playing with. I'd defy any of these kids to be able to tell me, when they gaze into a train's headlights, how fast that train is traveling. It's fast. And it's going to catch one of those kids one day."

The trestle-jumping fad is the latest of a number of games of chance teen-agers have played with trains over the years.

For the Record

Los Angeles Times Tuesday August 11, 1992 San Diego County Edition Metro Part B Page 2 Column 2 Metro Desk 1 inches; 22 words Type of Material: Correction

Trestle jumpers--A story Monday about youngsters jumping off a train trestle into a lagoon misnamed the lagoon. The correct name is Agua Hedionda Lagoon.

Jogging, trestle jumping, all part of the Surfridet experience

Give the jogger a break. After all, he is jogging for his health. He wants to live a long, fruitful life.

Exercise improves your brain power. Some need it more than others.

The jogger would have won the race. The train cheated. It pushed him out of the way.

You guys do know that people who chose to commit suicide are not thinking clearly. Most likely are suffering depression. And, yes, I have suffered clinical depression and am thankful it never got bad enough for me to consider suicide, but it was still not something I'd want to experience again.

Also, please be aware that there may be members here, or guests, who have loved ones that have committed suicide. Please consider their feelings.

You guys do know that people who chose to commit suicide are not thinking clearly. Most likely are suffering depression.
I'm never more depressed than when I'm thinking clearly. ;) Sometimes I wonder if the folks jogging into oblivion are the lucky ones. :mellow: I have no intention or expectation of dying in a weird or curious manner, but if I do I hope someone I've never met can get a laugh or chuckle out of it. :hi:

I actually appreciate Devil's Advocate's sense of... humor or cynicism. Or both. Kindred spirit, perhaps...

We have way more than our fair share of mental illness among my family and friends, and I know lots of people who have been suicidal due to muddleheadedness and been talked out of it. Also people who managed to get themselves killed in stupid accidents due to muddleheadedness.

And I also knew someone who chose to commit suicide rather than suffer further with a permanent incurable degenerative illness. I respect her choice.

Soooo... I guess I'm saying don't make assumptions about people's feelings about this. Some of us don't have the feelings about death which Hollywood expects us to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back