Jump in fare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redsandal

Train Attendant
I'm hoping to make a trip to BUF from ABQ (switching trains in CHI) in the fall. The prices seem to have gone up and I'm wondering if there are cheaper travel days than others.

I'm hoping to make a trip to BUF from ABQ (switching trains in CHI) in the fall. The prices seem to have gone up and I'm wondering if there are cheaper travel days than others.
This fall as in really soon or next year? If next year unless your traveling on major holidays already book I'd imagine there are still the lowest bucket fares still out there almost a year in advance. Which trains were you looking at and what kind of Accommodations were you thinking? Best advice try leaving on a tuesday or something as weekend departures are more popular.

This fall as in really soon or next year? If next year unless your traveling on major holidays already book I'd imagine there are still the lowest bucket fares still out there almost a year in advance. Which trains were you looking at and what kind of Accommodations were you thinking? Best advice try leaving on a tuesday or something as weekend departures are more popular.

Next fall. I tried end of Sept first of October (1 1/2 weeks) taking the SWC out of ABQ, then the LSL from CHI to BUF. Looking for roomette for 2. You might be right about Tuesdays I put that in for a trip in the Spring and noticed it was cheaper. Leaving toward end of October and returning early in November is possible too, but they don't have the November calendar "working" yet.

Next fall. I tried end of Sept first of October (1 1/2 weeks) taking the SWC out of ABQ, then the LSL from CHI to BUF. Looking for roomette for 2. You might be right about Tuesdays I put that in for a trip in the Spring and noticed it was cheaper. Leaving toward end of October and returning early in November is possible too, but they don't have the November calendar "working" yet.
I was actually looking at booking something far out in advance as well and its much more expensive then a trip you can book for something in the next few weeks and appartntly were not alone the thread is

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=25319

My usual trip ALC to NYP going onto train 42 at PGH is 66 one way, as it was last year, as it is in one month, and as it is in many other dates I plug in.

My usual trip ALC to NYP going onto train 42 at PGH is 66 one way, as it was last year, as it is in one month, and as it is in many other dates I plug in.
How far into the future did you try it? Just wondering If you have a second try your trip on 10/30/09 and see because everything looks way more expensive that far out for some reason

How far into the future did you try it? Just wondering If you have a second try your trip on 10/30/09 and see because everything looks way more expensive that far out for some reason
Aloha

That may be a characteristic of how hotels do inventory management. As a room gets added as available it go into inventory at its "rack rate" as they don't sell the booking rate goes down until the start to sell, then as the hotel starts to fill up the rates go back up, sometimes above "rack rates". To the best o my knowledge a canceled room never goes to back to its originally sold rate but becomes available at current room rates.

This might be what your seeing.

Select Service Departs Arrives Duration Amenities Seats/

Rooms

$66.00 30 Capitol Limited

Alliance, OH

(ALC)

3:25 am

30-OCT-09 Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

5:30 am

30-OCT-09 2h 5m Dining car, Lounge, Onboard wheelchair ramp 1 Reserved Coach Seat

42 Pennsylvanian

Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

7:20 am

30-OCT-09 New York, NY

- Penn Station

(NYP)

4:54 pm

30-OCT-09 9h 34m Snack car 1 Reserved Coach Seat

Rooms

Alliance, OH

(ALC)

30-OCT-09 Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

30-OCT-09 2h 5m Dining car, Lounge, Onboard wheelchair ramp 1 Reserved Coach Seat

42 Pennsylvanian

Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

30-OCT-09 New York, NY

- Penn Station

(NYP)

Well then write me down as jealous I just cant believe that the train I want to take to the Gathering already sold more seats then then the train i book lasted week that leaves in 3 weeks. I wish I understood the bucket system lol

Rooms

Alliance, OH

(ALC)

30-OCT-09 Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

42 Pennsylvanian

Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

30-OCT-09 New York, NY

- Penn Station

(NYP)

Well then write me down as jealous I just cant believe that the train I want to take to the Gathering already sold more seats then then the train i book lasted week that leaves in 3 weeks. I wish I understood the bucket system lol
Crap happens. I tend to think I am well versed in the bucket system. Hopefully one day I'll be lucky enough to find a $4 roomette!

Rooms

Alliance, OH

(ALC)

30-OCT-09 Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

42 Pennsylvanian

Pittsburgh, PA

(PGH)

30-OCT-09 New York, NY

- Penn Station

(NYP)

Crap happens. I tend to think I am well versed in the bucket system. Hopefully one day I'll be lucky enough to find a $4 roomette!
What route has $4 dollar roomettes? I looked at some short trips in California OXN to LAX and event thats an 80 dollar roomette (cheapest i found looking quickly)

What route has $4 dollar roomettes? I looked at some short trips in California OXN to LAX and event thats an 80 dollar roomette (cheapest i found looking quickly)
I think you get that if coach is already in the high bucket and the roomettes are still in the bottom one. Since adding a sleeper puts your coach fare back into the low bucket, which is then added to the sleeper cost, with both of them in the low bucket, the whole thing ends up at only a bit more than the high-bucket coach fare.

So it's not really $4 roomette, but a roomete for only $4 more than than the (expensive) coach fare.

I think you get that if coach is already in the high bucket and the roomettes are still in the bottom one. Since adding a sleeper puts your coach fare back into the low bucket, which is then added to the sleeper cost, with both of them in the low bucket, the whole thing ends up at only a bit more than the high-bucket coach fare.

So it's not really $4 roomette, but a roomete for only $4 more than than the (expensive) coach fare.
That is the jewel of the bucket system.

That is the jewel of the bucket system.
Ohh okay yeah I wasn't looking at it that way I thought you meant a $4 dollar accommodation charge and I was like whoa thats a steal seeing as drink 2 waters would already make you your money back lol thanks for making it more clear and your right that would be an amazing steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back