June Florida Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Metropolitan

OBS Chief
I would certainly think so, but in looking at them all, I'm getting overwhelmed!

Hopfully someone can talk some sense into me...

Here's what I'm dealing with:

Friend and I are taking her little sister to Florida after graduation in June. After 3 days there, we need to drop her off in to Grandparents in Raleigh or Durham on our own return to Baltimore.

The original (largely reserved, partially paid) plan was to:

Fly to Orlando on 6/19, rent a car, drop the car at Tampa on 6/22, then get rooms on the Silver Star for us all, and return via rail.

However, the price of the roomettes has increased before I reserved it (here's hoping they come back down) and now the price of all transportation is as follows: $192 air (paid) + $445 rail (us) + $216 rail (her) + $120 (rental) = $973.

Now, in the interest of saving funds, I've looked at a number of possibilities - each with its pros and cons, and I'm trying to figure the best course of action.

Reversed itinerary: (Train down 6/19, rental there, and separate flights for us and sister to our returning destinations): $622 Rail + $120 rental + $189 airfare (covered) = $931. Problems with this include the need to shift our hotel reservations (which could hamper the price), not to mention the inconvenience of getting TO the rental car. For all this, it doesn't save a lot.

Trip shifted up 1 day: $179 air (covered) + $377 rail (us) + $177 (her) + $120 rental = $852. Saves over $100 but could jeopardize the hotel rate, and cuts a little close to her sister's graduation.

Rent a car here, use AutoTrain down and drive back: $546 rail + $170 rental + $120 extra gas used = $836 not including a $192 air credit for future use. I thought I had found the answer here. Cheapest way, very cheap roomettes, get a chance to take AT and get the elusive AmSteak, and still have "money" for a future trip. Then my friend sobered me by telling me how "nice" the drive is from Florida to Baltimore, and how "nice" she'd be towards me following such an agonizing drive. Well, the second "nice" was enough to make me scratch this idea.

Ok, so rent a car here, and use Auto Train both ways, returning in Coach, putting Sis on the next day's Carolinian after we return. $861 AT Rail + $45 Rail (next day) + $160 Rental = $1046 not including Airfare credits. Actually works me in the wrong direction. Having the air credits is nice when I SAVE money, but impractical when I'm coming up paying more.

So how about incurring a drop charge? Don't ask - takes the cost of the trip to $1240. Definitely cheaper to just lug the car back aboard AT.

Then there's the last resort option - toughing out the return ride in Coach. Using the V630 code, it brings the trip cost down REAL fast: $192 air (paid) + $174 rail + $120 rental = $486. However, my friend and I have admittedly gotten a little bit hooked on the sleepers for trips like this (I'm becoming one of "them!" :p ), and I have yet to enjoy a ride in a Viewliner, so this would be a unique chance for me.

Still awake?!? Got any other ideas? I'm guessing I'll have to bite the bullet soon and just pull the trigger on the original option, but I wasn't sure if there were other possibilities to get some nice travelling in at a more reasonable cost. I did consider just booking the sleeper as far as Raleigh, then doing coach the rest of the way, but that seems a bit excessive. Besides, it will be neat to ride some of the NEC in the viewliner, and stepping off at Baltimore Penn from a Sleeper for the first time.

Not necessarily true. If you rent a car in say Washington, and say you're going to return it in Florida, then they'd have a hard time getting away with that. Most rental car companies are national, so long as you pay for the car, don't damage it, and return it when you say you will, it shouldn't matter where you take it.

That could get tricky. The $160 rental rate from BWI was on Hotwire, so I'd have no way of knowing which company I'd get, and what their terms would be until after I booked a non-refundable rate.

I *could* take my own car, BUT it needs some TLC, gets very crappy mileage, AND has no AC the moment - perfect for a June in Florida. There again I could take my car on AT, then rent a car when I get down there, but that really seems to be shamefully wasteful, not to mention that I'd likely have to pay to park my own car at the Orlando Airport in order to rent and drive another.

I will admit though - riding the AT is awful tempting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metropolitan,

I can't quite match the fares that you seem to be getting, but here's a few other thoughts for you to try, using the parameters that you're using to get the various fares.

First, consider the bus from TPA to ORL for #98. On the 22nd at least, that trip comes out cheaper than taking #92 direct from TPA.

Consider the Kid's Ride Free on the AT promo, code #H717.

Thanks Alan. When I look into the Meteor, it still shows $253 for the Roomette Charge. The other problem with the Meteor is that it doesn't stop in Raleigh, so we'd have to send her back down the line on #79. For that, we may as well take the AT.

Did see the H717 code and priced that into my comparisons.

I'll probably hold out until Wednesday and see if anything gives, as the price just jumped up last Monday or Tuesday. I'm sort of hoping that this was the result of someone(s) making a reservation that they won't pay for in time, and it will come back into inventory.

Will let you know what I finally do - thanks to all for the inputs!

Don't forget about the car rental that is restricted to the state and its surrounding states where you're renting from. It's in the car rental clause.
Thanks for the tip - I just checked with Hotwire and they told me cars rented from them include unlimited mileage and can be driven anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.

Suddenly, the Auto Train is getting MIGHTY tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back