Just a hello

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocJohnB

Train Attendant
Just joined this forum yesterday and have spent a lot of time since looking around. Quite a nice site.

I am retired Navy, after having spent 28 years doing a job I loved.

My train travel is quite limited. First trip was from Geneva, IL to Detroit in 1956. I attended seminary that year and at Christmas break took the Chicago Northwestern into Chicago, then the NYC's Wolverine into Detroit. Returned on the reverse. Next came a really long 14 hour journey from Detroit to Great Lakes, IL, first on the Grand Trunk Western from Detroit to Chicago and finishing up on the old North Shore RR to Great Lakes. During my training (boot camp and tech school) I frequented the North Shore on liberty trips to Chicago and Milwaukee. On longer weekends, I would get on the NYC from Chicago to Ann Arbor (and return). Upon graduation from tech school, I boarded the Pennsylvania RR's Broadway Limited to New York City. Except for a couple of years in the mid 60's (once again from Great Lakes to Ann Arbor and return - the only difference being the the North Shore was finished and now the Chicago Northwestern provided service from Great Lakes - Chicago) that was the last of my train travel until about 1994 when my wife and I took Amtrak's Lakeshore Limited from Toledo to Boston (and returned). Actually caught a connector in Ann Arbor via Detroit to Toledo. No more trips until about 5 years ago when we did a round trip from Boston - Washington on Amtrak.

I have just scheduled a round trip from Boston - Florida (Deerfield Beach) (Silver Meteor) next January and not only am I looking forward to that, but also to all the interesting tidbits I will be able to pick up on these forums.

BTW, as seems to have been brought up in various and sundry posts I am one of the anti-acronym folks. I know I can go to Amtrak's site and find the city codes, but I guess I will just have to slog through the others until I learn 'em. <_<

:hi: Welcome to the Forum! We have several Members that are Retired and Ex-Navy including me , so am sure you know that a LD Train is Not a Land Cruise! :lol: Thanks for your Service, nice Trip, Please feel free to ask any Questions you may have, we have many Opinions and Ideas here, Some of them are even True! :lol: Look forward to your Trip Report, Im riding the Train to the East and Florida (Deerfield Beach! ^_^ ) and back for NTD in May, wish it was tomorrow!

If ya'll are not yet members of Amtrak Guest Rewards, please read the Info on their Web Site and consider Joining, its Free! :cool: and has Lots of Benefits! Id be glad to Refer you if you send me a Personal Message on here and include your e-mail address. If you ride with in 90 days of Joining you get your Double Points Plus 500 Bonus Points and So Do I!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the civilized way to travel!
hi.gif
And thank you for your service to all of us!
hi.gif

As far as the codes, many are the same as the airports (BOS, ALB, EWR, SEA, MSP, MIA. LAX, etc...), some are abbreviations (CS = Coast Starlight, CZ = California Zephyr, NTD = National Train Day, etc...) and many you'll learn. If you don't know, just ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I travel on the Silver Meteor more than any other train. I am sure you will enjoy your trip.

I am A newbie but I have alot of knowledge of both SEPTA And MTA subway systems. :hi:

Back