Just bought my rail pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gone fishig

Even though my travel is not for 2 months I felt I had done enough research that I could at least get started.

I did this in a small staffed station and had a wonderful experience. The agent had many years in 2 much bigger stations and explained several things about the pass I was unaware of. I was the only one in the station for the hour of personal information and assistance I received.

When I left I had the first and last legs of my journey in ticket form because these can sell out with instructions on the best way to fill in the remainder of my trip or change the tickets I had already.

If this is your first time on a LD train you should take a drive to a secluded station where you will get individual service from an agent that loves their job without getting stressed out by too many people in a hurry

I travel exclusively by rail pass. I love it, I can go all over the country and saves me lots of money. I am curious about what you learned you did not already know about the rail pass.

Hi June,

I knew you would respond to this because I know you love this mode of travel.

The agent kept my ID in front of him most of the time he checked the current and possible future of my travel. He was concerned about the flexibility of my trip. I could tell he really wanted for me to enjoy my trip in my own way so I would become a life long fan.

The main things he emphasized was the fact it wasn't very convenient to change the existing tickets. He also showed how I could look at where the different routes crossed paths and make more decisions as to stops, train changes, hotels, and even route changes at those junctures. Example Sac, Emy, etc. He quickly looked up my entire itinerary and only suggested to get the first and last leg and I would be ok to wait for quite a while on the rest as it is a ways in the future and he said travel was lighter when I go. Thanks for your input, Bill

What station did you get this excellent service at? You should take a few moments and send good words regarding this Agent to Amtrak Customer Service.

His name was Rod and this was in Columbus, Wi. about an hours drive from my home where I plan to end my trip. He is an Amtrak lifer and has worked in Chi and Mke. Moved to Columbus to raise a family. When I get off at the end of my trip he was very interested in hearing from me. This post will reach certain ears and yes I will find the right contacts for this great guy!

Hi June,

The agent kept my ID in front of him most of the time he checked the current and possible future of my travel. He was concerned about the flexibility of my trip. I could tell he really wanted for me to enjoy my trip in my own way so I would become a life long fan.

The main things he emphasized was the fact it wasn't very convenient to change the existing tickets. He also showed how I could look at where the different routes crossed paths and make more decisions as to stops, train changes, hotels, and even route changes at those junctures. Example Sac, Emy, etc. He quickly looked up my entire itinerary and only suggested to get the first and last leg and I would be ok to wait for quite a while on the rest as it is a ways in the future and he said travel was lighter when I go. Thanks for your input, Bill
I found that they always want to book you thru Sacramento if you are heading north on the Coast Starlight from the CZ. I always change in EMY, not only because the wait is shorter, but the station is more comfortable for me being a single older disabled woman. The only really good thing about SAC is they have red cap service and at EMY, I have to wait for the ticket attendant who takes me out to the train.

Hi June,

I found that they always want to book you thru Sacramento if you are heading north on the Coast Starlight from the CZ. I always change in EMY, not only because the wait is shorter, but the station is more comfortable for me being a single older disabled woman. The only really good thing about SAC is they have red cap service and at EMY, I have to wait for the ticket attendant who takes me out to the train.
I would take SAC over EMY any day based on the neighborhood that EMY is in.

Did you get the 15, 30 or 45 day pass? Where are you starting/ending?

I'm hoping you go someplace warm in March.

My most recent Amtrak trip was only 4 segments and was cheaper to book with regular fares (me Senior and wife on AAA) instead of Rail Passes.

Our route in December was Chemult Oregon (CMO) to Sacramento (SAC) overnight then SAC all the way to Burlington IA (BRL).

We spent 10 days with a rental car getting as far east as Baltimore. MD. Returned the car to Burlington and returned on the same route.

I got 2000 Amtrak Guest Reward points on the car rental.

If you have not already done so, join Amtrak Guest Rewards and get your member # printed on the tickets.

I'm also a senior and my 15 day trip would still be well over $450 even with the winter fare sale. I'm buying the first segment from Mke - Chi for $20.40 The pass starts in Chi

Chi-Sac overnight

Sac-Slo on the CS overnight

Slo-Olt PS 5 nights

Olt-Pdx PS CS overnight

Pdx-Spokane-Columbus

This will leave me 2 segments in sunny California. Maybe some wine? To do this I would have to cut the 5 days in Olt some

CHI to SAC is TWO overnights. You may feel like a pretzel by the time you get to Sacramento. When I have enough time and segments, I like to stay overnight in Glenwood Springs. My last trip was straight through each way.

The Pacific Surfliners are cheap enough that you might want to head up to Santa Barbara early morning and return on your own dime not using any Rail Pass segments.

My favorite lodging in Sacramento within walking distance of the station is the HI Hostel on the NW corner of 10th & H. It is the second oldest Victorian mansion in the city.

There are two HI hostels in Portland. The one on Glisan is walkable

Good to see a topic on railpasses... I would not mention that you were the only customer for an hour... that might get someone thinking of staff cuts...

Nice to get an old hand who could spend time and give advice,

Have a great railpass trip,

Ed. :cool:

I think there are certain satellite stations that Amtrak needs for maintenance purposes. Track and bridge repair etc. The track here crosses a main road that connects the state capitol with the fox cities and Green Bay. To me it is the perfect retirement station. It's like being a postmaster in a small community. They run all the jobs from all the unions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back