Just coming aboard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grounded flyboy

Service Attendant
New guy coming aboard today. 30 years seeing the country from 35,000 feet... retired. Took up bicycling and saw a lot of the country at 15 mph... got fat, tired, and mostly lazy. Took a couple of train trips and figured out I really like seeing the country from the window of a train. Just found AU and look forward to talking and learning from all of you.

New guy coming aboard today. 30 years seeing the country from 35,000 feet... retired. Took up bicycling and saw a lot of the country at 15 mph... got fat, tired, and mostly lazy. Took a couple of train trips and figured out I really like seeing the country from the window of a train. Just found AU and look forward to talking and learning from all of you.
Welcome Aboard Flyboy! :hi:

What prompted you to try the trains?

What trains have you taken so far, & any opinions on the train rides?

Welcome!
hi.gif

I agree that the view is MUCH better at 3 to 15 feet than it is at 35,000 feet!

we are a varied bunch.
Some more varied than others!
laugh.gif

I live near Carbondale, Il and my brother lives in Ann Arbor. A few years ago Amtrak put on a 'student' commuter train to cater to the college student between SIU, U of I, and Chicago.

I figured out right away that taking the Saluki to CHI and the Wolverine to Ann Arbor was cheaper and MUCH more relaxing.

Trains so far: CONO to New Orleans. Crescent to D.C.(wonderful food) Texas Eagle from STL to Dal and San Antonio.(very friendly ride-- twice) Coast Starlight LA to San Francisco.(awesome scenery)

Empire Builder CHI to PDX and Coast Starlight to SAC coming up in early May... any scheduling or trip suggestions? (Thinking about stopping for a day in Whitefish for a trip break and what must be wonderful scenery)

I live near Carbondale, Il and my brother lives in Ann Arbor. A few years ago Amtrak put on a 'student' commuter train to cater to the college student between SIU, U of I, and Chicago.

I figured out right away that taking the Saluki to CHI and the Wolverine to Ann Arbor was cheaper and MUCH more relaxing.

Trains so far: CONO to New Orleans. Crescent to D.C.(wonderful food) Texas Eagle from STL to Dal and San Antonio.(very friendly ride-- twice) Coast Starlight LA to San Francisco.(awesome scenery)

Empire Builder CHI to PDX and Coast Starlight to SAC coming up in early May... any scheduling or trip suggestions? (Thinking about stopping for a day in Whitefish for a trip break and what must be wonderful scenery)
Assume that you HAVE already signed up for Amtrak's Guest Rewards program, to earn fee trips. One of the best if you can use the points, and in the midwest, several routes only require 1,000 points....

Book a roomette or bedroom, especially on the Coast Starlight. This gives you meals, beverages for free. The sleepers have a coffee station with coffee, juice, bottled water & sometimes fruit/snacks. They may also offer you a champagne split, too. The sleepers have showers, towels, etc. If you haven't had the opportunity to enjoy the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight, you will be in for a real treat. Of course you'll have the free coffee & juice, available in the Parlor Car too, but in addition there's a bar & they will make you Cappucino or Expresso if you want. You will pay for bar & specialty coffees. They also serve a slightly different menu than the diner. There is a wine & cheese tasting every afternoon for $5, can be quite fun. They do the same thing on the the Empire Builder, too. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for all of the good info, sunchaser. I am definitely going the roomette route and have taken notes on the other 'niceities' you mention... wish I was leaving today!

I have a few specific planning questions for my trip in May... think I will make my first venture into the main discussion forum for that.

Thank you for all of the good info, sunchaser. I am definitely going the roomette route and have taken notes on the other 'niceities' you mention... wish I was leaving today!

I have a few specific planning questions for my trip in May... think I will make my first venture into the main discussion forum for that.
In case you haven't seen this link yet, you may find it helpful to compare pricing for different days for your trip. All you need is the three letter codes to use it, as in CHI, PDX & SAC. We really enjoyed our rides on the Starlight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back