just confirming

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
AGR points are based on dollars spent and not ,milage, right? or do i have that wrong?

its 3,000 for a free RT ticket from PVD to NYP?

Yes, two points for every dollar spent on a ticket for all tickets over $50 in value.

And no, it's 3,000 points for a one way ticket.

ok so the other thing I have been wondering is should I get the student discount card which gives me 20% off fares. Of course I'd lose some points that way.

Actually I believe that it's only 15% off, but if you plan to ride on Amtrak more than 2 or 3 times a year, then it's probably worth it. Even if it does decrease your points a bit. And the Student Advantage card is good for other things besides Amtrak too, so that also helps.

ok so the other thing I have been wondering is should I get the student discount card which gives me 20% off fares. Of course I'd lose some points that way.
You'd also lose points by not buying round trips for the heck of it, for not taking Acela Express first class, etc.

Don't forget there is a 100 point minimum earned per segment. So if the one way trip is $49 on a regular fare or $41 with SA, they both earn 100 points! ;)

I can ride from KIN-OSB for about $40 round trip - and earn 200 points! PVD-BOS IIRC is $12 O/W (before discounts). A round trip would earn 200 points!

Back