Just like to say Hi :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredandgingermad

Train Attendant
I'm new around here so just thought i'd say hi and introduce myself :)

I'm Katharine and i'm a UK based Amtrak fan :)

i've only travelled Amtrak four times (on 5 different routes) and my first (and second) trips were both last year in 2010 :)

This year i'm being slightly more ambitious (or brave) and taking my 4 year old daughter (by myself) from New York City to Los Angeles via

Washington DC

Chicago (layover)

Omaha, NE

Galesburg, IL (layover)

Kansas City, MO

Los Angeles

Independence, MO

and then back to Los Angeles

Looking forward to it, the whole trip's spread out over 3 weeks from the end of June to the middleish of July to coinside with the centenary of Ginger Rogers :)

I'm new around here so just thought i'd say hi and introduce myself :)

I'm Katharine and i'm a UK based Amtrak fan :)

i've only travelled Amtrak four times (on 5 different routes) and my first (and second) trips were both last year in 2010 :)

This year i'm being slightly more ambitious (or brave) and taking my 4 year old daughter (by myself) from New York City to Los Angeles via

Washington DC

Chicago (layover)

Omaha, NE

Galesburg, IL (layover)

Kansas City, MO

Los Angeles

Independence, MO

Looking forward to it, the whole trip's spread out over 3 weeks from the end of June to the middleish of July to coinside with the centenary of Ginger Rogers :)
Nice trip! :cool: Welcome to our forum, please dont hesitate to ask any questions, lots of knowledge and good folks here, always glad to help! Please read all the old posts on here when you have time (children make you have so much free time eh? :lol: ) , you can learn alot from other peoples posts!

Kansas City, MO

Los Angeles

Independence, MO

the whole trip's spread out over 3 weeks
Welcome!
hi.gif

The trip sounds great, but seems a bit much - especially with a small child.

One question: You have Kansas City (KC), then Los Angeles (LA), then back to Independence, then back to LA. Is there a specific reason you want to do it this way?
huh.gif
If you are not aware, there are 2 travel nights between KC and LA and 2 more travel nights between LA and Independence and 2 more travel nights between Independence and LA - and Independence is just to the east of KC. Just this travel uses up almost 1 week of your holiday.

Kansas City, MO

Los Angeles

Independence, MO

the whole trip's spread out over 3 weeks
Welcome!
hi.gif

Aloha

I think your daughter will love the travel. When my daughter was 4.5, I took her with me as I worked backstage with Ice Capades. She was in 16 cities in 5 months. My daughter forgot much of what she saw, but also remembers much of the tour. She has turned just as crazy as I am, and now has a daughter, now 9 that also loves trains.

Welcome!

One question: You have Kansas City (KC), then Los Angeles (LA), then back to Independence, then back to LA. Is there a specific reason you want to do it this way?
huh.gif
If you are not aware, there are 2 travel nights between KC and LA and 2 more travel nights between LA and Independence and 2 more travel nights between Independence and LA - and Independence is just to the east of KC. Just this travel uses up almost 1 week of your holiday.
The main reason for this trip is because it's the centenary of Ginger Rogers this year, her birthday is 16th July and we're spending that in Independence which was Ginger's birthplace, because i wanted to spend slightly more than 4 days in Los Angeles and the restrictions on the amtrak travel pass i got, i made the decision to go from Omaha to Kansas City (where we spend a day) then on to LA where we spend 4 days and then to Indpendence (for two days and Ginger's birthday and then back to LA and another 4 days. If it wasn't for wanting to spend more time in LA i would have stayed in the East/Midwest for longer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely fantastic trip :) think my 4 year old enjoyed all the train travel more than i did! Amtrak were also very helpful when she got sick whilst on the train and didn't charge any extra for us to continue our journey two days later after we had to detrain (had ambulance at station and everything :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely fantastic trip :) think my 4 year old enjoyed all the train travel more than i did! Amtrak were also very helpful when she got sick whilst on the train and didn't charge any extra for us to continue our journey two days later after we had to detrain (had ambulance at station and everything :( )
Sorry your kiddo got sick but good to hear the trip went well and she enjoyed the journey! When you can we look forward to sharing your trip through a Trip Report Please!! ^_^

Back