Just saw one of "these" on the NE Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
I work next to the NE Corridor in Newark, NJ.

On my way to the convenience store for my morning latte, I saw a lone engine backing toward the Newark Airport Station.

I know this is a Amtrak engine based off of a freight design, but I've never seen one on the East Coast.

Any idea on what it was being used for and the frequency of these units on the east coast?

Thanks

Same type of engine different location

That would be a P-32-8 Amfleet Fan. Those engines are the switcher/MOW workhorse for Amtrak. Amtrak has made a select few DASH 8's the new NEC MOW engines (with the retirement of the E-60's). The engines had cab signals installed, and are probably seen all over the corridor now.

battalion51 said:
That would be a P-32-8 Amfleet Fan. Those engines are the switcher/MOW workhorse for Amtrak. Amtrak has made a select few DASH 8's the new NEC MOW engines (with the retirement of the E-60's). The engines had cab signals installed, and are probably seen all over the corridor now.
Really I gotta get to the Corridor now and see this. :lol: :p

These are fairly common out here on the West Coast and work as spare power on the Capitols and San Joaquin trains. They can also be found in the Portland and Seattle areas as well.

The DASH8's can also be seen pullin the K-Card (or whatever they call it now). The DASH8's are a mainstay in Sanford and JAX as switchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back