K-Falls to Pasco Bustitution

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdRain&Snow

Lead Service Attendant
As we await Amtrak’s announcement on how they’ll connect Trains 14 and 28 for Q1 2011, I have been thinking about the K-Falls to Pasco bustitution. I haven’t done it before but may have to soon, so I wanted to see if folks who have could share their experiences. Is there any scenic redemption along the way? Was it a nice ride or an uncomfortable one? Does the SCA save you a boxed dinner when you board at Pasco? Other observations?

I am trying to gauge whether or not I should adjust my plans if the bus bridge is announced. Putting aside the disappointment of lost train time in the Cascades and Columbia Gorge, is there anything redeeming about the KFS>PSC road trip, or should it be avoided at all costs? Thanks.

The Palouse country is interesting, but I'm not sure how much you would see from a bus. A night in Portland seems pretty appealing to me!

It's interesting but not really that scenic. You'll pass through lots of forest giving way to grasslands. I had never really been through that part of Oregon before. The busride was pretty long though, however it was comfortable.

With all due respect....

I can't imagine any redeeming qualities in riding a bus :wacko:
Certainly goes without saying though straying a bit off point. What I am hoping to learn is what the trip between Klamath Falls and Pasco is like, and whether or not it is so unpalatable that it warrants taking an earlier 14 to Portland in order to avoid it. Or perhaps the overall experience is not so bad and might even have an upside such as interesting sights and scenery along the way?

As we await Amtrak’s announcement on how they’ll connect Trains 14 and 28 for Q1 2011, I have been thinking about the K-Falls to Pasco bustitution. I haven’t done it before but may have to soon, so I wanted to see if folks who have could share their experiences. Is there any scenic redemption along the way? Was it a nice ride or an uncomfortable one? Does the SCA save you a boxed dinner when you board at Pasco? Other observations?

I am trying to gauge whether or not I should adjust my plans if the bus bridge is announced. Putting aside the disappointment of lost train time in the Cascades and Columbia Gorge, is there anything redeeming about the KFS>PSC road trip, or should it be avoided at all costs? Thanks.
I belong to the "avoid at reasonable costs" club.

The CS often gets into KFS ahead of its 8:25 a.m. scheduled time. If I recall correctly, the bus leaves for Pasco at 9:00, so you may start the bustitution by sitting and waiting to depart. The bus usually stops about an hour in for snacks at a convenience store and again about an hour for dinner at a diner along the Columbia River gorge. No food or food allowance is provided. Driver's have said they don't want the buses ariving in Pasco before approximately 8:00 pm for the 9:00 pm EB departure, so its is a very long day in a bus.

The scenery is not dismilar to Oregeon northbound scenery on the CS.

When facing the bus KFS-Pasco, I try to find an affordable hotel to overnight in PDX or SEA and take the next day's EB. Just say no to non-emergency bustitution.

I personally have not had the "pleasure" of the KFS-PSC bus, but I would rather take a train and stay overnight in PDX or SEA.

Remember that the Columbia River Gorge gets dark shortly after departure from PDX, and does not have a dining car. (You get a cold boxed dinner - which is VERY tasty - instead.) There is a Cascade that connects to the SEA section of the EB. The SEA section has a dining car, but no SSL until SPK.

Just Say No to non-emergency bustitution...That's classic. That's a good point about the darkness factor for the Gorge ride. But geez, a 9A to 8P road trip even in the midst of pretty scenery would be a long haul by bus. I suppose I'll wait for the announcement and leave LA a day earlier if bustitution appears imminent. Thanks as always for your helpful insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back