Keeping my fingers crossed!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tourlink99

Train Attendant
I'm scheduled to travel on the Sunset 9/6, connecting to the CONO on the 7th then connecting to the Builder on the 8th. Is there any word yet on how bad the damage is to the tracks and stations in Louisiana and Missippi? Or will I have to change to the Silver Star and Capital?

Well there is nothing official yet, but I'm hearing reports already that say that many people won't even be allowed to go home till Friday at the earliest.

Power for some areas outside NOL could be out for 2 weeks.

So it might get interesting trying to get a train into NOL on 9/6, especially if those preliminary estimates get pushed further.

AlanB said:
Well there is nothing official yet, but I'm hearing reports already that say that many people won't even be allowed to go home till Friday at the earliest.
Power for some areas outside NOL could be out for 2 weeks.

So it might get interesting trying to get a train into NOL on 9/6, especially if those preliminary estimates get pushed further.
Right now for NOL there saying around 4 weeks for all the power to be turned on.

Yea, Im saying it is going to be difficult. I mean the tracks along the coast in some places were most likely underwater, not to mention the bayous and small rivers rising up over the bridges.

According to one news report I just read, the train station in Mobile Alabama is surrounded by water. They got a 12 foot surge of water in that area.

Not sure how fast that will drain away, but I'm betting that the tracks, signals, and other equipment in that area is all underwater. That alone could take a week or more to fix, especially depending on just how many other track areas are under water.

I'd call up and change your plans now. There's really no way to tell how this is going to pan out.

AND ........as of this morning, two of the levees did not hold and the French Quarter is filling up with water. This sets EVERYTHING back from what it was last night at bedtime

If I were you, I would change my plans now, without any further hesitation.

I also just saw a report that suggests the flooding is getting worse in NOL. On top of that, they are saying that the I-10 bridge between NOL and Slidell over Lake Pontchatrain is gone, not under water, but destroyed. The bridge that Amtrak's Sunset Limited needs to cross is less than 3 miles from the I-10 bridge. Therefore it's equally likely that bridge has at least been damaged, if not destroyed.

So at this point in time, I think that I would follow the advice of others and rebook your trip a different way. I wouldn't bet on the trains running by next week.

“We have to start the process of rebuilding the city,” he added, noting that most of the city's drinking water was contaminated, power could be out for up to six weeks and that a major bridge was wiped out.
Based upon the above statement from the Mayor of NOL, I would definately recommend finding another route. That quote comes from an MSNBC news story. If you follow the link, you'll note that the main picture shows much of NOL underwater. However, just to the far right of the picture you can just see part of the Amtrak yards.

From that picture, at least at that moment, it looks like only a small section of track on the left side is under water. However, we can't really see the far right side either, so there could be water over there. Additionally, if the water levels continue to rise, then all bets are off.

The Bayou Bouff Bridge at MP 73 on the BNSF Lafayette sub is out of service due to a Barge that hit the bridge and they will have to replace it so my line looks like no Eastbound trains from Lafayette to NOL for at least a week.They could run Amtrak on the UP Liviona Sub to NOL if that line is up and running.

Info from Amtrak

Service Alert: Hurricane Katrina Update - City of New Orleans, Crescent, Sunset Limited - Revised Service Information

August 30, 2005 9:30 a.m.

Due to Hurricane Katrina and severe damage across the Southeast, Amtrak continues to implement a revised service plan for its City of New Orleans trains, which operate between New Orleans and Chicago; the Crescent, which operates between New Orleans and New York; and the Sunset Limited, which operates between Orlando and Los Angeles via New Orleans.

Southbound City of New Orleans train #59 that departs Chicago will terminate in Memphis instead of New Orleans on the following dates:

Tuesday August 30,

Wednesday August 31,

Thursday September 1,

Friday September 2 and

Saturday September 3.

No alternate transportation will be provided between Memphis and New Orleans.

Northbound City of New Orleans train #58 originally scheduled to originate in New Orleans will instead originate in Memphis on the following dates:

Tuesday August 30,

Wednesday August 31,

Thursday September 1,

Friday September 2,

Saturday September 3 and

Sunday September 4.

No alternate transportation will be provided between New Orleans and Memphis.

Southbound Crescent train #19 that departs New York will terminate in Atlanta instead of New Orleans on the following dates:

Tuesday August 30,

Wednesday August 31,

Thursday September 1,

Friday September 2,

Saturday September 3 and

Sunday September 4.

No alternate transportation will be provided between Atlanta and New Orleans.

Northbound Crescent train #20 originally scheduled to originate in New Orleans will instead originate in Atlanta on the following dates:

Tuesday August 30,

Wednesday August 31,

Thursday September 1,

Friday September 2,

Saturday September 3,

Sunday September 4 and

Monday September 5.

No alternate transportation will be provided between New Orleans and Atlanta.

Westbound Sunset Limited train #1 originally scheduled to originate in Orlando will instead originate in San Antonio on the following dates:

Tuesday August 30,

Thursday September 1,

Sunday September 4,

Tuesday September 6 and

Thursday September 8.

No alternate transportation will be provided between Orlando and San Antonio.

Eastbound Sunset Limited train #2 that departs Los Angeles will terminate in San Antonio instead of Orlando on the following dates:

Wednesday August 31,

Friday September 2,

Sunday September 4 and

Wednesday September 7.

No alternate transportation will be provided between San Antonio and Orlando.

Amtrak will continue to monitor the storm and make further schedule adjustments if necessary.

Amtrak reservation agents are contacting passengers regarding the schedule adjustments. Passengers may also call 1-800-USA-RAIL for assistance with their travel plans.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I called Amtrak this morning and I was rebooked on the Star and the Capitol. Now I have to hope we make the connection in Washington! I did change dates to depart 1 day earlier just in case. They had a bustitution last week fom DC to Pittsburgh. Not my idea of fun. Hopefully a strong request for a hotel in DC will be honored in that event.

I went to the station to exchange my tickets today. The station attendent felt bad I had to change my plans for my long awaited trip. He upgraded me for free to a bedroom from a roomette. Im now in room A on a Star sleeper. I know that A is a little smaller then the other bed rooms on superliners. Does the same hold true on a viewliner. Frankly for what I paid for the upgrade, I wouldnt complain anyway.

tourlink99 said:
I know that A is a little smaller then the other bed rooms on superliners. Does the same hold true on a viewliner. Frankly for what I paid for the upgrade, I wouldnt complain anyway.
No, on a Viewliner there is no difference in size between the A room and the B room. That only happens with the Superliner cars.

Back