Killing time in Pittsburgh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
I've got four hours to kill in Pittsburgh next month. I'm taking the Keystone from New York, Penn to Pittsburgh and connecting to the Capitol Ltd. The Keystone arrives in Pittsburgh at 8:00 pm and (assuming CSX hasn't done their usual magic) the Capitol Ltd. arrives in Pittsburgh at 11:55 pm. Any suggestions?

Rick

I've got four hours to kill in Pittsburgh next month. I'm taking the Keystone from New York, Penn to Pittsburgh and connecting to the Capitol Ltd. The Keystone arrives in Pittsburgh at 8:00 pm and (assuming CSX hasn't done their usual magic) the Capitol Ltd. arrives in Pittsburgh at 11:55 pm. Any suggestions?
Rick
The Keystones never arrive in Pittsburgh, they all terminate in Harrisburg. Only the Pennsylvanian, which just happens to be listed on the Keystone page, actually runs to Pittsburgh.

Depends upon how adventurous you are, Rick.

I forget off the top of my head (but I want to say the Renaissance) which hotel is catty-corner from the Pittsburgh Amtrak station, but that hotel has a decent restaurant that's good to kill some time while you wait for #29.

If you're more adventurous, walk a couple blocks, pick up the T, and head for Station Square. Riding one of the inclines is also an option, if you're so inclined. (couldn't resist the pun, sorry.)

I'd suggest taking a corridor train south to Washington and catching the Capitol Limited there.

Except for the bars and theaters, downtown Pittsburgh is pretty dead after 7:00pm. On weekends, unless there's a game on the North Side, it's worse.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is a self-guided walking tour. You should be able to walk out to Point Park and back. Keep in mind, however, that it will be or get dark, and you'll have to bring your carry-ons with you.

Actually, I've stored luggage at PGH's counter with no problems, and no charge whatsoever. They struck me as particularly nice there.

I'd tend to favor the Southside idea - when you arrive at Pittsburgh, head straight out the doors and to your left - you should arrive at an intersection between a busway dumping out to the street, and another street (Grant I think), cross the busway, and proceed straight two blocks or so, where you will see the Light Rail Subway stop called Steel Plaza, catch this two stops South to Station Square, where you'll find a number of restaurants as well as the Monongahela Incline, which you can ride to the top to the Mount Washington area for a dinner with a view. Returning to the station, you just reverse the process.

If it were during the day, yes. But at night, Station Square just has restaurants and bars. I also wouldn't call either of the inclines reliable.

You'd also want to closely consider how often the T runs at that time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back