Kingman Shuttle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dburden

Train Attendant
My wife and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas in a month or two so will be doing the Kingman/Las Vegas shuttle. Any big updates? It looks like an easy connection both ways. Getting into LV at 3am will be fun (!), but we'll just make a long day of it.

Thanks,

Dave

The bad news is we have not done the shuttle yet (soon to do), the good news is my research is positive.

The service is provided by "Commuter Services" and they utilize large passenger van with a baggage trailer. Based on a message left with them and a call back to confirm with them, they will wait/ time the train arrival in Kingman to have someone there at arrival or shortly after, not to say that Kingman at 3 am would not be an interesting place to hang out. Also the feedback is very positive on their drivers and compared to the other option out of LA it is said to work well.

In the travelogue / Trip Reports section "Southwest Chief, April 2014" by Michigan Mom gives a thorough account of this experience.

We are going out (NPV-KNG-LAS) at the end of April (26th) on this trip and due to the late/ early arrival in Las Vegas we booked the time share for Monday into Tuesday. Not knowing how we will feel at that time we would rather have place to lay down even though we are not getting most of that night for the room, a 4 pm check is a long time to hang around, of course it is Vegas so I'm sure you can find a way to win some money or lose your time!

I have used this shuttle several times. I have always had a good experience.

My tip, be sure and use the restroom before getting on the shuttle. If they don't stop in Laughlin on the way to Vegas, it is a long ride.

A follow up to the Kingman Shuttle (KNG-LAS)

I called Amtrak to make a departure end station change and the rep. mentioned the change in itinerary and if I was notified?

I did not recall any notification of the change being sent.

Seems some type of what I'll coin an "Arizona time" rule 69 glitch:

This location does not observe Daylight Saving Time. Schedule times at
this station will be ONE HOUR EARLIER beginning with the Spring time
change on March 8, 2015.

Instead of the short 10 minute layover the system implement a 24 hour and 10 minute one, I explained to my understanding and research that this is not a "Greyhound" scheduled bus type connection and the shuttle waits for the train. She spoke to her "Help Desk" and she was able to changed it.
In saying all this, because of the type of operation the Commuter Service shuttle operates, they would have let us on that night but the thought of 24 plus hours waiting in Kingman would have been lengthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back