LA Union Station Seating now only open to Amtrak/Metrolink passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calwatch

Lead Service Attendant
...within two hours of their departure time. So if you got booted off the Sunset Limited at 4 am and want to catch the first Surfliner or Coast Starlight, too bad. You'll have to stand for a few hours.

http://thesource.metro.net/2013/12/10/advisory-seating-area-at-union-station-now-open-only-to-amtrak-and-metrolink-passengers/

Los Angeles Union Station patrons may have noticed a change that went into effect Monday: the seating area at the front of the facility is now available only for passengers with tickets to board Amtrak or Metrolink trains within two hours of their departure times.

Union Station is owned by Metro and agency officials say the change was prompted by an increased number of homeless individuals who have been using Union Station as shelter — an average of 135 per night in recent weeks (numbers were higher over the summer). That, in turn, has at times created extremely unpleasant sanitary issues in the seating area that in some cases posed a health threat to passengers using the station.

Metro had been receiving complaints about the number of homeless in the station for quite some time and over the past summer began trying to find some remedies to the issue, said Ken Pratt, the director of Los Angeles Union Station Property Management for Metro. That has included bringing in workers from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority who have been meeting with homeless individuals to try to connect them to shelters, potential housing opportunities as well as psychological and medical care.

The new rules for the seating area are part of a pilot program. Security guards will be checking tickets in the seating area. The seats are not open to Metro riders because Metro bus and rail service at the station is frequent compared to long-distance and commuter rail offered by Amtrak and Metrolink.

The pilot program comes as Metro is beginning more work to restore Union Station, which opened in 1939. In coming weeks, some of the seats in the waiting area will be removed so that wood and metal materials can be reconditioned.

“All this really comes down to this question: who does Union Station really serve?,” Pratt said. “Our customers were being accosted and couldn’t even use the restroom at times because people have been camping in there. We really are trying to do this on two fronts — not just enforcement, but with outreach to homeless in the area surrounding Union Station to bring people to services they need and services to individuals. We are trying very hard to figure things out and working to solve this problem in the right way.”

Incindentally the restroom issue is irrelevant to this since it is still a public restroom. And Union Station is supposed to be closed at night ANYWAY, from 1 am to 5 am to allow for cleaning. What this does is just lead to increased harrassment, since the entire classic seating area, not just the area near the redcap section where it has always been limited to Amtrak customers, is now in the barrier zone.

Contact information for Board of Directors: http://www.metro.net/about/board/executives/

Contact information for MTA staff, including the heads of the group that decided on this: http://www.metro.net/about/contact/management-staff-directory/

Sounds like it is just an excuse to kick out the homeless, I doubt any passangers with a valid ticket during their layovers would be bothered.

The problem is that you have overzealous people who don't want to use discretion. Look at what we got with the poor woman with the folding bike. By being so specific with the "two hours" it seems like an opening for a security guard with a power trip. A same day Amtrak ticket should be sufficient, with closing the station down after the Sunset Limited and the late Metrolink to San Bernardino departs. I don't mind the person minding their own business in a seat, but aggressive patrolling of panhandling and harrassment of other passengers minding their own business is the biggest issue, which this puts an anvil on an ant.

We did have someone ask us for money when we were there. I can understand it if this is the reason of the new ruling.

calwatch... I hate to call you out but you just completely ripped your OP from this thread on Trainorders.

The only problem is that... while TO thread had a totally misleading headline... this thread's headline is COMPLETELY WRONG. No where in the article on Metro's The Source blog does it mention that LA Union Station is now only open to Amtrak/Metrolink passengers. The only thing being discussed is the seating being open to the public.

Back to the seating... click on the picture on the linked article... and you'll see the signs clearly say:

"For passenger travel within a three hour period and/or connecting to a later train."

That means you can sit there for three hours before your train is scheduled to depart (that's more than enough time). But MOST IMPORTANTLY if you arrive on an early Sunset and have tickets for a delayed you'd be allowed to stay there the whole time.

That being said... there are a lot of inconsistencies in the article. I've asked the author in the comments to clear up these discrepancies... we'll see where that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I posted this before the TO thread... And one of the photos on Twitter shows a two hour time frame, consistent with the news article. So who's calling who out? https://twitter.com/martinbeck/status/410090715616530432
May I point out that the photo above is for Metrolink pax and says two hours and the other photo for Amtrak pax says three hours. So in all likeliehood--

You're BOTH right and/or wrong!

And rickycourtney has a point about the title, the station is still open to the public... tourists and vistors and such, it is only the seating that is being reserved.

Actually I posted this before the TO thread... And one of the photos on Twitter shows a two hour time frame, consistent with the news article. So who's calling who out? https://twitter.com/martinbeck/status/410090715616530432
Henry,

My sincere apologies... I screwed up. You are correct... It appears you posted this thread here... and than it was copied word-for-word to Trainorders two minutes later. After calling out Steve Hymon for having inconsistencies in his article and not fact checking his blog post... I didn't fact check my post. I'm sorry.

It sounds like a portion of the Union Station waiting room will be set aside for Metrolink passengers (with a two hour limit) and another part will be set aside for Amtrak passengers (with a three hour limit or until a connecting to a later train departs).

And rickycourtney has a point about the title, the station is still open to the public... tourists and vistors and such, it is only the seating that is being reserved.
Well I ran out of space in the title. I would update it to say SEATING since my understanding is that all seating, inside the building, is now reserved for one group or another, If you want to buy something at Subway to eat you'll have to take it outside. Also, the Starbucks, which used to have the standard bar seating, removed theirs as well.

Aren't Metrolink tickets for any time in a day, or in a timespan, not for a specific train? How does a two-hour window work with that?

Well I ran out of space in the title. I would update it to say SEATING since my understanding is that all seating, inside the building, is now reserved for one group or another, If you want to buy something at Subway to eat you'll have to take it outside. Also, the Starbucks, which used to have the standard bar seating, removed theirs as well.
Another concern is for passengers using the long distance motorcoach services (Megabus or BoltBus). They too won't be allowed to use the seating in the waiting room.

This whole thing seems like a really inelegant solution to the problem of keeping the homeless people out. Stations around the world have figured out different ways of handling this problem... Without making customers with legimate buisness reasons for being in the station feel like criminals.

Aren't Metrolink tickets for any time in a day, or in a timespan, not for a specific train? How does a two-hour window work with that?
Most one way tickets are stamped with an expiration time... But all other tickets are valid for a day, week or month.

I guess it will be up to the passengers to present a ticket and tell the guard the train they intend to board.

So then if you're waiting for the 1:45 AM Ambus to Bakersfield then you have to wait outside?

So then if you're waiting for the 1:45 AM Ambus to Bakersfield then you have to wait outside?
One would imagine the Ambus is still a valid Amtrak ticket?
It is. However, there is also the claim that the station is now closed between 1 and 4 AM for cleaning. I also saw those signs over the weekend when I was in Union Station heading to the FlyAway bus to LAX.

Suppose somebody has to take the 0145 bus to Bakersfield and report back to find out, as you are closer I nominate you. :p

I have taken the late bus and there was a waiting area near the food court, with the rest of the station being cleaned by the janitor. Of course, they have removed the chairs near the food court since they obstructed the flow of passengers coming out of the subway.

Does New York allow the homeless to hang out in Grand Central or Penn Station? I don't recall that they do. I didn't see a bunch of homeless hanging around the Boston terminal either.

Another concern is for passengers using the long distance motorcoach services (Megabus or BoltBus). They too won't be allowed to use the seating in the waiting room.
Do Botlbus and Megabus pay for the use of Union Station? If not, why should their passengers get to use the services of Union Station without contributing to its upkeep?

Do Botlbus and Megabus pay for the use of Union Station? If not, why should their passengers get to use the services of Union Station without contributing to its upkeep?
The parasites should not! That is the business model of Megabus....to try to always locate their bustop near a facility their passengers can use, but not pay for it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back