LA Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowergirl

Train Attendant
Will be arriving at LA Union Station on Starlight and will need transportation to hotel which is 17 miles away and not in an area served by the Surfliner or commuter trains.

1. Where is the taxi stand located and has anyone used it? LA taxi service is a little confusing to me, since the taxis opperate in zones. Called Super Shuttle and they do pick up at station. Called one of the taxi services, and if I understood correctly, they could take us outside zone to our destination but could not return to pick us up. Since exact arrival time is an unknown, it would be kind of nice to go to a waiting taxi on arrival...or not? Any recommendations welcomed.

2. We will be leaving LA on the Southwest Chief which leaves at 6:50 p.m. Will dinner be served onboard or do we need to plan on eating before boarding?

Guess this might be an additional question...but any suggestions on navigating the station would also be appreciated. Arrived there four years ago on Sunset and deboarded on platform outside and boarded a southbound Surfliner on adjoining tracks. Easy. Saw other passengers going down steps to enter station. Returning to station on Surfliner, we deboarded inside and just missed a tram rolling past us. Walked and walked and walked before finding lobby and check-in desk/counter. Didn't move from lobby once we found it. Didn't see a redcap at all until we were called to line up for boarding Sunset. Signage was very poor back then. Can't find a website for the station. Been to DC Union, NYC Penn and Boston South with no problems getting around, but I'm dreading LA.

1. Straight out the front door, to the left. Super well marked. Don't know anything about zones, we just took a cab downtown and it was about 10 bucks.

2. You'll get dinner after you leave.

Don't worry about the station, it's pretty easy to get around - its BIG and really beautiful inside and out. Layout is straightforward, and it's well marked.

you might have to call a cab that serves the area the hotel is in to take you back to the station if the other won't pick you up.

Ryan pretty much answered your questions but I have a suggestion: 17 miles is a loooooooooong way in LA traffic, unless you have a great deal on your hotel (roundtrip cab fare could be expensive in LA!) consider staying downtown,there are lots of deals on hotels, the Metro Plaza is across the street from the train Station, and while not fancy it's a good deal, and you can walk there! Lots of members have stayed there, I thought it was fine! There are also quiet a few hotels downtown from flop houses to botique, very expensive joints but yall could probably find a deal on line or from one of the travel service (Orbitz works great for me, Priceline etc.)sites!

As Ryan said, just go downstairs, follow the tunnels to the lobby, the luggage check place is too your right when you enter the main lobby, Amtrak ticket desk to your left and there is an Amtrak info desk right in the middle on your left as you enter from the tunnel from the tracks! The Redcaps are very good here, just ask! Hope this helps!Unfortunately the bathrooms can be grim, everyone in LA can use them, it's a real slice of life but a beautiful setting as Ryan said and as you saw!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be arriving at LA Union Station on Starlight and will need transportation to hotel which is 17 miles away and not in an area served by the Surfliner or commuter trains.
1. Where is the taxi stand located and has anyone used it? LA taxi service is a little confusing to me, since the taxis opperate in zones. Called Super Shuttle and they do pick up at station. Called one of the taxi services, and if I understood correctly, they could take us outside zone to our destination but could not return to pick us up. Since exact arrival time is an unknown, it would be kind of nice to go to a waiting taxi on arrival...or not? Any recommendations welcomed.

2. We will be leaving LA on the Southwest Chief which leaves at 6:50 p.m. Will dinner be served onboard or do we need to plan on eating before boarding?

Guess this might be an additional question...but any suggestions on navigating the station would also be appreciated. Arrived there four years ago on Sunset and deboarded on platform outside and boarded a southbound Surfliner on adjoining tracks. Easy. Saw other passengers going down steps to enter station. Returning to station on Surfliner, we deboarded inside and just missed a tram rolling past us. Walked and walked and walked before finding lobby and check-in desk/counter. Didn't move from lobby once we found it. Didn't see a redcap at all until we were called to line up for boarding Sunset. Signage was very poor back then. Can't find a website for the station. Been to DC Union, NYC Penn and Boston South with no problems getting around, but I'm dreading LA.

You didn't say in what direction the hotel is. Where is it located? There might be alternative to taxi/shuttle service. At that distance shuttle is almost certain to be cheaper and there is the possibility of subway/light rail.

As our sleeping car attendant told us on our first arrival into LA Union Station, "the Redcaps here are the best in the world!" And by now, I believe her! We've always been able to catch a Redcap's attention as soon as our train arrived, and they bundle you and your luggage onto their carts and whoosh you right into the middle of the station (or, in your case, to the taxi rank outside). In fact, ours have always told us where to meet him at a certain time before our connecting train, and he's whooshed us right back out to our sleeping car.

Great -- and friendly -- service! Don't worry -- you'll do fine if you've navigated NY Penn :blink: with no problems!

When your train ride into the platforms. The front of station is on your right, in the direction of train travel. Go down the ramp into the tunnel and follow the throngs of Amtrak travelers. There's a large hall of waiting room with those "royalty" seats. Keep going toward the front doors. Once you're outside, I think the cabs are on the left, or it may on right. I don't remember. They're usually waiting at the curbs, just like at the busy airports.

The dinner will be provided on Southwest Chief.

I've seen the layout of that station but I couldn't find the website. Even the search machine wouldn't show it. I hope one of the frequent posters has a link.

Carl Morrison over at TrainWeb.com included a photo showing the layout of LA Union Station during National Train Day activities. His travelogue had a lot more photos and other detail.

Even so, that map isn't perfect for day-to-day use. It doesn't depict where ticking and baggage claim are (although ticketing would be in the top right part of the map and baggage claim would be in the top left). Also, it shows parts of the station that are normally closed to the public (namely the main concourse and Fred Harvey areas).

Good luck.

So, if I had gone beyond the little room that sells gifts and snacks on the left, I would have come to the street entrance? Once we found the lobby that day, I ddn't want to venture anywhere else.

Yes, I know downtown would be more convenient. We did get a great deal on the hotel, but the main reason we are staying so far out is that we are traveling with our two teenagers, who want to be near the teen/fun stuff. So to appease them--since they are not quite as excited about the trip as my husband and I are--we let them pick the location. On previous visits, we've stayed in Orange County, so this will be different.

This information about the station is very reassuring. I had read somewhere the taxi stands were on the northside of the station. Had no idea where that was. Thanks everyone for these very clear directions.

Sue, I was really dreading NYC Penn station, but knew from the book "USA By Rail" that the taxi stand was on 32nd Street. As soon as we came into the lobby, I saw the sign for 32nd Street. And that's where we found the taxis. A super nice Red Cap named Greg helped us with boarding when we returned the next day.

Not sure what direction you are 17 miles from LAUS at a hotel, but Jim Hudson is correct: that is a long distance and VERY expensive cab ride. SuperShuttle would be much, much cheaper and just as reliable, if not more so. LA residents tend to avoid taxis like the plague because they get caught up in traffic just like every other vehicle and the meter still runs and runs and runs.

Don't dread L.A. If I can't find something I ask people around me.

I have used Prime Time shuttle from L.A.'s Union Station to hotels by LAX, Long Beach, Disneyland and back. They are always on time, no hassles. I have been told not to use taxis in L.A.(for price). I don't know about Super Shuttle but on Prime Time's website you can put in your arrival and departure destinations and it will give you prices ( it has a long list of hotels). I always call to book though, to make sure my reservation is right.

If you use a shuttle, Prime Time picks up on the opposite side of the taxis. If you go out the front doors of the station, the shuttle pick up is on the right. It's a loading zone for cars also.

I imagine you can just call a shuttle with no reservations. My first ride on the shuttle, the driver received a call to pick up someone at his apartment, so we all went, it was on the way. You could have other people with you or I believe you can have a private van but costs more.

Hope this helps.

Don't dread L.A. If I can't find something I ask people around me.

I have used Prime Time shuttle from L.A.'s Union Station to hotels by LAX, Long Beach, Disneyland and back. They are always on time, no hassles. I have been told not to use taxis in L.A.(for price). I don't know about Super Shuttle but on Prime Time's website you can put in your arrival and departure destinations and it will give you prices ( it has a long list of hotels). I always call to book though, to make sure my reservation is right.

If you use a shuttle, Prime Time picks up on the opposite side of the taxis. If you go out the front doors of the station, the shuttle pick up is on the right. It's a loading zone for cars also.

I imagine you can just call a shuttle with no reservations. My first ride on the shuttle, the driver received a call to pick up someone at his apartment, so we all went, it was on the way. You could have other people with you or I believe you can have a private van but costs more.

Hope this helps.
I'll second that on Prime Time. I have used both Super Shuttle and Prime Time and never use the Super Shuttle any more because Prime Time has been much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back