Lake Shore Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdon

Train Attendant
Am I right in thinking that the Lake Shore does not serve dinner on departure from Chicago?

Thanks

No dinner service on leaving CHI east-bound. Sleeper passengers are invited to a wine and cheese tasting as they board, but Coach passengers do not have meal service aside from the Cafe car which opens briefly after the train departs.

Yes. There is a wine and cheese tasting before departure for sleeper passengers though.
How does this compare to the Empire Builder wine-and-cheese tasting? And does it also feature regional selections?
Yes, it features regional selections. The region is Australia. :lol:

We were served a pretty nice individual cheese plate with grapes and crackers. There was liberal pouring of several selections from Penfolds of Australia, I think I had the Shriaz. I was on the LSL because I mis-connected with the Capitol Limited and I was rather missing my dinner.

It's more of a wine-and-cheese reception than a tasting. Not much in the way of Oenophilia and my fellow passengers were a pretty glum bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can anyone be glum after having wine and cheese? Yum! :)

my fellow passengers were a pretty glum bunch.
Then you had no AU members in that group! We are never glum!
laugh.gif

It's more of a wine-and-cheese reception than a tasting. Not much in the way of Oenophilia and my fellow passengers were a pretty glum bunch.
Agreed, it's much more like a party than a "wine tasting". Yes, you are tasting a wine, the one that you pick and your choice is white or red, or if you prefer there is a non-alcoholic cider. But you don't sample multiple wines; the crew doesn't talk about the wines or cheeses provided, much less where the grapes come from either; they don't give away bottles of wine or ask trivia questions.

In some sense it could be considered a way to divert your attention from the fact that the train isn't moving yet. :lol:

I thought it was to divert your attention from your missing dinner :angry2:

the_traveler said:
1327961092[/url]' post='343821']
reefgeek said:
1327957344[/url]' post='343812']my fellow passengers were a pretty glum bunch.
Then you had no AU members in that group! We are never glum!
laugh.gif
It would have been a PARTY with the AU crowd instead of the American Gothic couple and silent Cal Coolidge.

Big Iron: LSL out and CL back sounds like a great way to go!

When we did Wine and Cheese on the Lake Shore last year, the turnout was small and the crew was doing everything they could to get rid of the wine, cheese, crackers and grapes. We were given a heaping plate of grapes to take back to the room and when I asked the server if he had any more Blue Cheese, he gave me a whole 8 ounce package of it! I ate what I could and stashed the rest in the fridge on the deadhead Lounge for later :lol:

Yeah, they'll happily give you "extra" cheese, crackers and grapes. When I was on last week, they were also happy to provide unlimited sodas to those of us who refrain from Ambooze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back