Lake Shore first timers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

65Imperial

Train Attendant
Hi All, I have yet another question on the Lake Shore Limited. I know there is a change in Albany. Do we have to board another train??? I am assuming that we do since the Albany to Boston part of the trip I booked as Business coach. I was really hoping not to leave the train. What is the deal here??? Thanks, David

Yes, you have to leave the train, but in most cases, your connection to Boston is immediately across the platform, so you shouldn't have to go very far.

David, until a few years ago the Boston side of the LSL was a set of through cars that would be added or taken off the train in Albany. Because of the time it took to switch the cars, fleet shortages, and fun stuff like that they decided to just make the Boston side a stub train. This allowed them to have Business Class on the Boston side, allow both sides to have access to a lounge for the duration of the trip, and speed things up in Albany. They do typically have the trains right across the platform, although sometimes you might have to go upstairs and trek over to the other platform.

battalion51 said:
David, until a few years ago the Boston side of the LSL was a set of through cars that would be added or taken off the train in Albany. Because of the time it took to switch the cars, fleet shortages, and fun stuff like that they decided to just make the Boston side a stub train. This allowed them to have Business Class on the Boston side, allow both sides to have access to a lounge for the duration of the trip, and speed things up in Albany. They do typically have the trains right across the platform, although sometimes you might have to go upstairs and trek over to the other platform.
speaking of through cars, are there any other Amtrak trains that have through cars, besides the ones that are cut off from the Texas Eagle in San Antonio, and attached to the Sunset Limited onward to Los Angeles? i've kept wondering if there are any other trains like this, since i was aware that the Lake Shore(like you said) used to do this from Albany to Boston, and that the Desert Wind(before its elimination) had through cars on the California Zephyr that were detached in Salt Lake City, and ran on to Vegas and L.A.

reading your responce suddenly made me wonder about this, and i think its too bad that Amtrak hasn't investigated the possibility of starting new train service in unserved areas based on through car service(i.e. the suggestion someone on this board said recently of detaching/adding cars to the Cardinal in Cincinnati, and running service from there to St. Louis).

Well the Cardinal drops cars in Indianapolis three days a week. The Empire Builder splits into two sections everyday. The Builder drops coaches in Minneapolis seasonaly, as does the Eagle in St. Louis IIRC.

Guest said:
..........reading your responce suddenly made me wonder about this, and i think its too bad that Amtrak hasn't investigated the possibility of starting new train service in unserved areas based on through car service(i.e. the suggestion someone on this board said recently of detaching/adding cars to the Cardinal in Cincinnati, and running service from there to St. Louis).
In reality, Amtrak is currently prohibited from spending any money on new routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back