Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB-BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Groundpounder

Train Attendant
Hello,

I'm debating taking the LSL between BOS and ALB next week just for the heck of it. I was thinking of going to NYP, but the round trip on the LSL (448) is cheaper than one way on a NEC train to NYP, and it is a route I haven't taken yet. I'll have to spend the night in ALB, but I have a gazillion hotel points I can use, so that's no problem.

My only issue is that I'll be taking the bus from NH to BOS, and the ETA of the LSL is 9:10pm, and the last bus northbound for where I want to go leaves at 10:00. Is that cutting it too close? My understanding from reading this board, its common for trains originating from Chicago to be very late. It's showing as on time for today, in fact the current status has it getting into BOS 1:19 early.

Re the bus - are you taking it to catch the LSL in Boston to go to ALB? I'm assuming the LSL will leave the next day, after servicing has been done on it.

As you can see, this train can and often arrives later than advertised. I would not count on it to be on time as anything can happen "up the line'.

If you need to get to NH you may need to consider alternatives. Can drive? There is a park n ride at Woburn (Anderson) that allows overnight parking. MBTA tarin to North Station from there.

Yes, I am taking the bus to BOS, taking the LSL to ALB, spending the night, then returning to BOS on the LSL, and taking the bus back to NH.

Ah, so you're concern is with catching the bus BACK to NH after arriving at BOS. I misread.

As you can see, this train can and often arrives later than advertised. I would not count on it to be on time as anything can happen "up the line'.

If you need to get to NH you may need to consider alternatives. Can drive? There is a park n ride at Woburn (Anderson) that allows overnight parking. MBTA tarin to North Station from there.
Ah, I forgot about commuter rail.....I could park in Lowell and take the T to North Station. I could either walk to South Station (20 min or so) or take the subway. The last northbound train leaves just after midnight, which gives me a bunch of time.

If you take the T (subway), you also can board/depart at Back Bay. The Orange Line has stations at North Station and Back Bay.

As far as the connection between the train and bus at Boston, I personally would not risk it. Even though both the train and bus are at South Station, the LSL can arrive late. The reason I don't take the LSL to BOS is that the last train south departs at 9:45 pm, and that is too close for me.

Well, I decided to change my trip. I'm still doing a RT from BOS to ALB, and still taking the LSL to ALB, but I am now returning via NYP. It is costing me $60 more, but I looked up the on time performance on train 448, and its 27%! If I miss all my connections home, I'd have to shell out way more than $60 to either sleep in Boston. So now I am departing ALB on the 0500 Empire Service, and the 0830 NEC train, getting back to BOS at 1250. An added benefit of this change is that most of my trip will be in daylight, and I can take the bus to BOS, saving me having to drive anywhere.

You say you are starting in NH, are there no trains to BOS? There are Northeast Regional trains from New Haven to Boston, actually several as a matter of fact. Then you can catch the LSL to Albany, Then the Empire to NYP and a Regional back to NHV or on to Boston and then bck to NHV.

I suspect OP lives in Manchester/ Nashua area as there are no Amtrak trains there. Nearest commuter would be Lowell or Lawrence areas in MA

The Downeaster passes thru south eastern NH stopping at Haverhill (MA) Exeter, Durham and Dover NH and travels to BON (North Station) which

is not physically connected to South Station except by MBTA subway or Trolley. Transfer between North and South stations has always been on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back