Lake Shore Limited, BOS-CHI assistance please.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BOS-T-Time

Train Attendant
Hello everyone,

I am currently booking a trip in a roomette from BOS-CHI on the Lake Shore Limited (LSL) and have three options presented to me depending on the day that I leave. I was curious as to your experiences and with which routing should be best.

(these are the prices for just the roomette, the base fare is $101 regardless).

#1 BOS-CHI on 449 in a roomette for $199

#2 BOS-ALB-CHI on 449 then switch to 49, both in a roomette for $234. <--- this is actually cheaper some days then booking 449

#3 BOS-ALB-CHI on 449 in coach then switch to 49 in a roomette for $179 <----this is the cheapest way to handle it.

The prices are not what I am curious about it is more about the sleeper location and anyone else's personal experience with riding on the BOS sleeper up front or the NYP sleepers in the back (closer to the diner etc.). I am aware that the train gets combined in ALB and that can play into the booking too if it is a hassel. Thank you for any insight, I very much appreciate it.

PS.. on the way back I am booking the Capitol Limited and a NER for fun, long way round but I enjoy the ride.

BOS-T-Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Option #1.

The cost difference is not that significant for the hassle involved.

The reason the prices are different is because the trains are booked separately and have different buckets.

Personally, I don't think its worth the hassle to switch rooms at ALB. I certainly wouldn't ride coach from BOS - ALB just to save $20. The only good thing about being in the NY sleeper is that it is closer to the diner. It is a VERY long walk to the diner from the BOS sleeper.

The ohter thing is that you do get a meal in the ALB - BOS section, so for $20 you are getting a meal and the comfort of the roomette for hours. That is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back