Lake Shore Limited Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I don't think the Star/Meteors consists fluctuate. Probably the Star/ Crescent share consists.
Yes... that's what I said.
Is there any operational advantage in Star and Crescent switching consists, other than to get the Crescent consist down to Hialeah for servicing and maintenance?

Is there any operational advantage in Star and Crescent switching consists, other than to get the Crescent consist down to Hialeah for servicing and maintenance?
I would imagine that they can swap consists if one isn't turned in time, but I would doubt that consists are purposefully swapped on a regular basis. More likely it's just the usual shuffle of cars. Benefits? They certainly could send a Crescent car down to Hialeah for service (in fact I saw the Crescent running with an Amfleet I Café and a Silver with a deadhead Amfleet II Café the same day, most likely illustrating the aforementioned situation). Also, from getting 30th Street consists for the last 6 weeks, it appears that the Crescent will sometimes swap out its diner so it can be sent to Hialeah for whatever reason.

Hialeah is home to the Viewliners only. Other than a major overhaul or wreck repair, the bulk of the needed work on a Viewliner is done at Hialeah. All 92 day inspections and I believe the major annual inspections are done at the Hialeah shops.

Hialeah can fix other cars that come in with problems encountered enroute, but otherwise neither Amfleets nor Heritage cars are sent to Hialeah for repairs or maintenance. AMF's and Heritage cars would go to Bear most likely, assuming that the local base cannot handle the issue, or Beech Grove for something major. And Bear would remain the first choice for AMF's, Heritage cars seem to go to BG more often than not; especially for heavy overhauls.

Now I have heard stories about Sunnyside sending out cars with problems that they didn't want to fix to other bases so as to get it out of their hair, however those cars would not go out as deadheads because Sunnyside would not be able to claim that the car was working for them. They need it to at least try to appear that the car failed enroute.

Hialeah is home to the Viewliners only. Other than a major overhaul or wreck repair, the bulk of the needed work on a Viewliner is done at Hialeah. All 92 day inspections and I believe the major annual inspections are done at the Hialeah shops.
Hialeah can fix other cars that come in with problems encountered enroute, but otherwise neither Amfleets nor Heritage cars are sent to Hialeah for repairs or maintenance. AMF's and Heritage cars would go to Bear most likely, assuming that the local base cannot handle the issue, or Beech Grove for something major. And Bear would remain the first choice for AMF's, Heritage cars seem to go to BG more often than not; especially for heavy overhauls.

Now I have heard stories about Sunnyside sending out cars with problems that they didn't want to fix to other bases so as to get it out of their hair, however those cars would not go out as deadheads because Sunnyside would not be able to claim that the car was working for them. They need it to at least try to appear that the car failed enroute.

I don't believe Heritage cars are serviced in Bear. Most times it will be Beech Grove for overhauls and major inspections.

Well, heck. I'm going to be on the LSL in mid-Oct for CHI-BOS, but it sounds like they won't have the diners ready by then.
According to today's #49 crew, employees were told to prepare for the diners' return in mid-November.

Well, heck. I'm going to be on the LSL in mid-Oct for CHI-BOS, but it sounds like they won't have the diners ready by then.
According to today's #49 crew, employees were told to prepare for the diners' return in mid-November.
Fap! I'll be on it Tuesday. :(
I really want to eat in the prototype diner so bad... dare I try for a short-turn?

Me too. I also need to get on a train again and this could be a good opportunity.

It should also be noted that the Diner-Lite food in the Amfleet Diner-Lite (or Diner-Lounge, depending who you talk to) car has gotten much better in the past year, so if you haven't ridden it recently, it may be better than what you remember.
Rafi

Quite right. It was much better than it was on my last trip. Now that they've finally gotten the hang of working the car, they'll have to go back to the diner. Interesting.

Has anyone heard any more news on the return of the regular dining car? I'm going to be riding this train in late November/early December and would like to know if there is a chance I might get a better dining experience.

It should also be noted that the Diner-Lite food in the Amfleet Diner-Lite (or Diner-Lounge, depending who you talk to) car has gotten much better in the past year, so if you haven't ridden it recently, it may be better than what you remember.
Rafi

Quite right. It was much better than it was on my last trip. Now that they've finally gotten the hang of working the car, they'll have to go back to the diner. Interesting.
Well, yes and no. Once the diner returns (mid-Nov, apparently), the plan is as follows:

NYP-ALB, section carries a diner functioning as such

BOS-ALB, section carries a diner lite functioning as such

ALB-CHI, train carries both, with diner as diner and diner lite as lounge (and maybe overflow diner?)

So the diner lite crew will still prepare some meals in the car; their experience should make this transition go pretty smoothly, I hope, and then the Boston section will be better fed than it's ever been under Amtrak. (At least, I don't think the Boston section has ever had hot meals from its own diner....)

Considering how much better Dining service was on the Silver Service trains this last weekend, I would even consider a short ride on the LSL when it gets its Diner back. On the Silver Star I got to experience a spotless clean Temoinsa Diner (ex-PRR car) with color coordinated curtains at every window, and a great service crew. They even served Dinner after we passed Baltimore on the way back to New York on the Star! From the crew I heard a rumor that the interior of the Viewliner Diner would be appointed somewhat similar to the Temoinsa Diners, which they seem to like. Intriguingly they seem to be already calling the Temoinsa Diners Viewliner Diners. Go figure!

Oh and the crew.... they seem to have completely missed the army boot-camp part of their training, where they traditionally learn to say in a gruff voice "you vill sit there!" and such pronouncements. All meals, even those with reservations, were essentially free seating. If a space is open feel free to sit there even if another table has open space. I was impressed. Was almost reminded of the Canadian from that angle. Needless to say, I was a very happy camper able to sit by an window for every meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering how much better Dining service was on the Silver Service trains this last weekend, I would even consider a short ride on the LSL when it gets its Diner back. On the Silver Star I got to experience a spotless clean Temoinsa Diner (ex-PRR car) with color coordinated curtains at every window, and a great service crew. They even served Dinner after we passed Baltimore on the way back to New York on the Star! From the crew I heard a rumor that the interior of the Viewliner Diner would be appointed somewhat similar to the Temoinsa Diners, which they seem to like. Intriguingly they seem to be already calling the Temoinsa Diners Viewliner Diners. Go figure!
Oh and the crew.... they seem to have completely missed the army boot-camp part of their training, where they traditionally learn to say in a gruff voice "you vill sit there!" and such pronouncements. All meals, even those with reservations, were essentially free seating. If a space is open feel free to sit there even if another table has open space. I was impressed. Was almost reminded of the Canadian from that angle. Needless to say, I was a very happy camper able to sit by an window for every meal.

Well that would be odd looking if it got a Temoinsa kit :huh: . It will have to be something else, or a modified kit.

I believe a Horizon cafe will also be run with the Viewliner Diner to/from NYC.
Not unless the plan has changed in the last few months.

Besides, two cafe cars for the LSL would be overkill and a waste of food service staff, something that runs contrary to the demmand from Congress to cut food service losses.

Well that would be odd looking if it got a Temoinsa kit :huh: . It will have to be something else, or a modified kit.
It would also be impossible, since the Viewliner cars are modular cars and the Temoinsa kits are not modular.

I suppose that they could try to base the module’s design on ideas from the Temoinsa package, but that's about it.

Besides, two cafe cars for the LSL would be overkill and a waste of food service staff, something that runs contrary to the demmand from Congress to cut food service losses.
What they really should do is run both the Amfleet II lounge and the diner NYP-CHI, and limit the Horizon café to BOS-ALB operation. That may, however, be difficult given that the Horizon only operates because it's what Chicago could come up with. I'd imagine that basing it in ALB or BOS would "disrupt" (as an attendant on the LSL a month ago put it) the Amfleet fleet in the NE.

What they really should do is run both the Amfleet II lounge and the diner NYP-CHI, and limit the Horizon café to BOS-ALB operation. That may, however, be difficult given that the Horizon only operates because it's what Chicago could come up with. I'd imagine that basing it in ALB or BOS would "disrupt" (as an attendant on the LSL a month ago put it) the Amfleet fleet in the NE.
The point of sending the Amfleet II cafe to Boston is that it's a Diner-Lite car and it can provide cooked meals to the Boston sleeping car passengers. The Horizon cafe cannot do that, so right now sleeping car passengers get a cold meal.

Sending the AMF II to NY and keeping the Horizon in the Boston section would not improve things for the Boston sleeping car passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would also be impossible, since the Viewliner cars are modular cars and the Temoinsa kits are not modular.
I suppose that they could try to base the module’s design on ideas from the Temoinsa package, but that's about it.
I don't think they were alluding to using Temoinsa kit in Viewliners. They were alluding more to the way the kitchen is laid out etc., which as we all know was a disaster in the original Viewliner Diner. As for color of wall paneling etc., that is easy to adjust to whatever, and if they so choose they could make the interior look similar (but clearly not the same) as that of Temoinsas.

BTW Alan, how many booths does the Viewliner floorplan have in it? Is it 10 or 12?

Fantastic! So it looks like the new Diner car will be open by Thanksgiving. The dinner wasn't bad in the Diner Lite car... but the breakfast left a lot to be desired. Also, the many boxes thrown on top of seats and tables used for storage was a little crazy. I wonder if I will actually be able to take a shower this trip... or will the shower in the Viewliner be used for storing boxes as well. haha

BTW Alan, how many booths does the Viewliner floorplan have in it? Is it 10 or 12?
There are 12 booths, however at least one if not two of the booths will be missing a bench seat on one side to allow for a wheelchair to be pulled up to the table.

Who came up with that nutty idea? I'm all for ADA compliance and all, but the standard vestibule width, not to mention the aisles on trains, can't accommodate wheelchairs. Perhaps the one person in the Viewliner sleeper H room directly across from the diner. I'd hope it is at most one.

You can't pretend that a handicapped person can do everything or go anywhere a non-handicapped person can. Sure, they can do many things. Sure, they can live on their own with limited assistance. It doesn't mean you have to have life without living. But come on.

Its like pretending there are no difference between men and women in capability- there are. Or pretending their are no characteristic difference between people of differing race. Your breed of human comes from a different place, you have developed differently, both physically and culturally, to best suit that environment- indeed, skin colour is one clearly visible example of that. It is not coincidental that there are more black males in the sports super-star arena, for example.

To do our best, as a society, to allow people of any group to overcome unfair disadvantages (the poverty and limited education afflicting many minority groups, for example) is important. Helping any person perform and contribute to the best of their personal capability, to the best they can achieve, is a worthy goal, and one we don't work hard enough at.

I'm handicapped, both mentally and physically. I have a bum leg that has, over time, caused everything on top of it to be thrown off physically- my back, my neck, my shoulders - due to the fact that I walk in a way the human body was not meant to do. Every step I have ever taken since I started walking is accompanied with physical pain ranging from unpleasant to excruciatingly painful. When I was a child a doctor told my mom I'd never walk. I ran a marathon once.

But I'm not going to pretend there are things I simply can't do as a result of my having surgically-compensated CP. I can't really run anymore. I limp, sometimes pretty bad. I stopped being able to play American Football when I was about 18- I used to really enjoy it, too. I can only play real football on a really good day- and I usually can't play a full game, my ankle gives out too quickly. I carry a cane in my car because once in a while, I actually need it. Sometimes going up stairs, which I stubbornly always do if its 2 floors or less, and sometimes when its more, I need to use my upper body more than my lower body, hauling myself up by the banister.

I have doctors who are amazed how well I have adapted to a sever physical handicap. But even my astronomical share of pure mulish stubbornness can't stop it from being limiting. I hate it when the world pretends that it is possible to remove all limitations for handicapped people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back