Lake Shore Limited discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than engines and cab cars, I don't believe Amtrak equipment has any security cameras.
Oh I should have quoted who was answering with the camera comment, I was replying to leaving luggage in the Chicago Metro Lounge self service luggage room. That is where I noticed a camera, in the Metro Lounge luggage room. :)

Boston section question: What is the food situation like for sleeper passengers lunch westbound? Order off the cafe menu, or something else? Also, are the Boston Viewliners the newer or older models? Room 7 will be on what side of the train (westbound)? IIRC, the scenery west of Springfield has good views on both sides of the train.

Boston section question: What is the food situation like for sleeper passengers lunch westbound? Order off the cafe menu, or something else? Also, are the Boston Viewliners the newer or older models? Room 7 will be on what side of the train (westbound)? IIRC, the scenery west of Springfield has good views on both sides of the train.
It’s normally a new Viewliner 2 right now but it can be subbed with an old. You are correct on the scenery west of Springfield - very underrated pretty ride - in my opinion the most scenic part of the route if traveling Boston - Chicago.

Last edited:
My experience last November: Westbound Departing Boston, I was given a choice of a Cafe meal for lunch (I took the burger) [Note there is no diner on this section, so no Flex meals are available} After joining the NYC section in Albany, you have access to a Dining car and Flex meals for dinner and meals there on. On the Eastbound train, I was asked for my Dinner meal preference at lunch time, and the Flex meal was handed off to the Cafe car in Albany, and served to my roomette.

Last edited:
I amended my previous post - I was under the impression that it was flex meals both ways but I found out I was mistaken on the westbound lunch part. I’d go with the previous post. I believe they are correct - you get a choice of cafe entree, a snack item, and a beverage. I was correct on the eastbound dinner.

I was just on that section, departing from BOS last Friday. You may have anything you like from the cafe menu for lunch, but it takes a while after the 12:50 departure before the cafe will be open. Seemed like it was close to 2pm. I had a bagel with me, and ate that after I boarded, then had the Greek Salad and a brownie, both very good.

My car was a Viewliner II, first time I've had the restroom down the hall. The sink is nicer, and the finish of the room seems nicer, but my big suitcase no longer fits down flat on the backwards-facing seat. I was in Room 2, and it was on the left (south) side.

20240209_124406.jpg20240210_071300.jpg20240210_092713.jpg

We will be taking the LSL from Albany to CHI and then catching the SWC. I'm concerned about our luggage. Is there no luggage rack in the sleeper cars? We have a roomette. I'm afraid that if we check out suitcases and arrive very late we will have to get on the SWC before we can pick up our luggage. (I realize that is a 1 in 100 chance...) Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

We will be taking the LSL from Albany to CHI and then catching the SWC. I'm concerned about our luggage. Is there no luggage rack in the sleeper cars? We have a roomette. I'm afraid that if we check out suitcases and arrive very late we will have to get on the SWC before we can pick up our luggage. (I realize that is a 1 in 100 chance...) Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.
They will transfer your checked bags to the SWC in Chicago. Unless you'll need access to the bags on the SWC, or your destination does not have baggage service, just make sure the baggage person at Albany tags the bags for your final destination.

Our SCA stored another passenger's bags in an unused roomette. I don't think that strategy works if the rooms are all booked. There is luggage storage above the hallway, accessible from your roomette, but you have to climb two steps (as if you were going to the upper bunk), and then lift the bag up to slide it into the cubby. It's big enough to hold two medium suitcases.

Our SCA stored another passenger's bags in an unused roomette. I don't think that strategy works if the rooms are all booked. There is luggage storage above the hallway, accessible from your roomette, but you have to climb two steps (as if you were going to the upper bunk), and then lift the bag up to slide it into the cubby. It's big enough to hold two medium suitcases
The SCA will do that if the passenger didn't use the Checked bag service at the station. I'm sure some number of first timers don't realize that full sized luggage does not fit well in roomettes. And the SCA does what he can.

Back in November, there was a flat wheel on the end of the Boston sleeping car, and it made quite the racket. I noticed that several of the roomettes on that end were full of various supplies. I don't know if they did that on purpose or opportunistically.

I was just on that section, departing from BOS last Friday. You may have anything you like from the cafe menu for lunch, but it takes a while after the 12:50 departure before the cafe will be open. Seemed like it was close to 2pm. I had a bagel with me, and ate that after I boarded, then had the Greek Salad and a brownie, both very good.

My car was a Viewliner II, first time I've had the restroom down the hall. The sink is nicer, and the finish of the room seems nicer, but my big suitcase no longer fits down flat on the backwards-facing seat. I was in Room 2, and it was on the left (south) side.

View attachment 35765View attachment 35766View attachment 35767
These roomettes also have storage space in the big area that extends over the center of the train, accessed by standing on the seats.

I see that 448 was apparently suddenly canceled today east of Albany by "scheduled track work." Maybe it was suddenly scheduled track work. There is nothing on the Amtrak website about a service alert but Amtrak evidently issued a special alert courtesy of Elon Musk:

ALERT: As of 9:03 am ET, Due to scheduled track work along the route, Lake Shore Limited Train 448 will now terminate at Albany (ALB). Alternate transportation will be provided to Boston (BOS). For assistance, please call/text 1-800-USA-RAIL.

We have been roomettes 5 & 6 booked in car 4911 for a trip from New York, NY to Sandusky, OH. On the Amtrak site it states that the rooms have been updated with new bedding, but has anyone been in either of these rooms lately? I can’t tell if car 4911 is still one of the older sleeping cars. Thanks for your help!

We have been roomettes 5 & 6 booked in car 4911 for a trip from New York, NY to Sandusky, OH. On the Amtrak site it states that the rooms have been updated with new bedding, but has anyone been in either of these rooms lately? I can’t tell if car 4911 is still one of the older sleeping cars. Thanks for your help!
4911 is supposed to be the first sleeper behind the diner car, and the last I have heard and when I was on LSL a year and a half ago it was a Viewliner 1, so not the newer Viewliner 2 like the the 4912 was.

I wonder if the new bedding statement were some better mattresses and blankets or something like that 2-3 years ago. I don’t pay much attention to upgraded mattress talk myself so others can fill in better on that. I can be happy sleeping on the floor as long as it’s not too cold/hot.

As of last year, both sleepers on the NY section were the older VL1's (with toilet en suite.) The VL2 was reassigned to the Boston section.

Saw the eastbound Boston leg of the LSL yesterday (March 13) approaching State Line, Mass., with three locomotives pulling a typical consist: VLII sleeper "Rapidan River," Amfleet lounge and two coaches. The entire consist was quite noticeably covered in dust and dirt. If there were people aboard, I couldn't see them, and they could only see me through the film of dirt on all the windows. Give that train a bath!

(On the plus side, it was within 10 minutes of the schedule.)

Last edited:
I see that todays 448 due in Boston will not arrive until about 1:21 a.m. tomorrow which is about 5 hours late I believe.
As is typical of late trains, it got worse and the train arrived at 2:44 a.m., more than 6 hours late. The delay as I understand it was a hot bearing on a locomotive somewhere in Ohio so it appears the delay was due to Amtrak and not the host railroad. Corrections would be welcome.

At the time of arrival, I believe public transportation in Boston would have ceased and anyone hoping for bus connections would be out of luck. Passengers in the know would know that they were entitled to a bench in South Station for the night. Those passengers not in the know would have to fend for themselves since there would be no Amtrak station personnel on duty to provide any assistance. But of course Amtrak is just providing transportation which it did with its 2:44 a.m. arrival.

Back