Lake Shore Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just on 48/448 from Toledo to Boston. It was substantially cheaper to change rooms in Albany as I was in room H on the Boston section. Also in Worcester they are building a new platform that will allow 2 trains at the station at one time.About 1/2 the platform is complete and the other half has the bases in place. This will be a big improvement when completed.

It will be a big improvement. I have been on 448 when it arrived in the city of Worcester and then stopped short of the station, waiting for the lone platform to open up. Worse, in those cases it wound up trailing an all-stops commuter local from Worcester to Boston, which is a good way to turn the last 60 minutes of the ride into 90 minutes.

If we ever get a couple of additional Boston-Albany trains, it will help them too.

It will be a big improvement. I have been on 448 when it arrived in the city of Worcester and then stopped short of the station, waiting for the lone platform to open up. Worse, in those cases it wound up trailing an all-stops commuter local from Worcester to Boston, which is a good way to turn the last 60 minutes of the ride into 90 minutes.

If we ever get a couple of additional Boston-Albany trains, it will help them too.
One one trip I had on 448, they went past the station, which was occupied by an MBTA set, backed into the station track and platformed at the old low level platform.

Having the ability to platform MBTA and Amtrak at the same time will be a big improvement.

Hi, I'm a total newbie to this board. Thanks for all the insight! I've been reading this thread because I'm traveling on the LSL to Chicago next week, and I wanted to get a river-facing roomette in a V2 if possible.

I just called Amtrak, and the agent said there are only 2 sleeping cars: 4910 and 4911. Both had 12 roomettes, so I'm guessing V1. I wonder if maybe 4912 was full (so she couldn't see it). or else things have changed from what I've been reading on this forum a few months ago...

Either way I'm in an even-numbered room on 4911, so I'm guessing that will be river-facing, even if not a V2!

Hi, I'm a total newbie to this board. Thanks for all the insight! I've been reading this thread because I'm traveling on the LSL to Chicago next week, and I wanted to get a river-facing roomette in a V2 if possible.

I just called Amtrak, and the agent said there are only 2 sleeping cars: 4910 and 4911. Both had 12 roomettes, so I'm guessing V1. I wonder if maybe 4912 was full (so she couldn't see it). or else things have changed from what I've been reading on this forum a few months ago...

Either way I'm in an even-numbered room on 4911, so I'm guessing that will be river-facing, even if not a V2!
Hope you have a nice trip and please post a report of your trip in the Travelogue section if you can.

You should be on the side that faces the river. The trade-off is that, in order to sit facing forward, you will be sitting in the narrower seat that is adjacent to the toilet. For this reason I usually go with an odd-numbered roomette and sit in the lounge while traveling along the river.

Greetings one and all!
On 49 as of this writing. I can confirm the even-numbered roomettes are on the Hudson River side of the train. I am in Room 5, so no river view this time ☹️
Depending on the time of sunrise, I might have a view of Lake Erie once we pass Elyria, OH.
Also, there are three (3) sleepers on this train - 4910, 4911 and 4912. All VL1 I believe but will confirm.

Greetings one and all!
On 49 as of this writing. I can confirm the even-numbered roomettes are on the Hudson River side of the train. I am in Room 5, so no river view this time ☹️
Depending on the time of sunrise, I might have a view of Lake Erie once we pass Elyria, OH.
Also, there are three (3) sleepers on this train - 4910, 4911 and 4912. All VL1 I believe but will confirm.
4912 is actually a VL2! 4910 & 4911 are VL1. I’m in 4911.

Despite the efforts of three (3) different crew members, the right seat in my Roomette in 4911 would not let down to form the lower bed. So, my SCA moved my wife and I into the handicapped room in 4912. Wow, this room is so spacious! A very nice upgrade on the house from Amtrak! 😊
The same thing happened to me in February. I was in 4911 Room 1.

I'm currently waiting at the NYP lounge for the 3:40pm 49 train to CHI. It was nearly canceled because of the freight train derailment in upstate NY. Now scheduled to leave on time. Agent said the train will proceed all the way through giving me the impression that the tracks are clear.

I'm currently waiting at the NYP lounge for the 3:40pm 49 train to CHI. It was nearly canceled because of the freight train derailment in upstate NY. Now scheduled to leave on time. Agent said the train will proceed all the way through giving me the impression that the tracks are clear.
Well I was too optimistic. On board now and they are saying we will be taking the bus from Albany to Syracuse.

Despite the efforts of three (3) different crew members, the right seat in my Roomette in 4911 would not let down to form the lower bed. So, my SCA moved my wife and I into the handicapped room in 4912. Wow, this room is so spacious! A very nice upgrade on the house from Amtrak! 😊
We had the handicapped room NYC-Chicago after my wife was in the hospital (leg break). Sadly, the handicapped room in Viewliner II was ruined by putting the toilet next to the bed rather than in the (wide-door) large bathroom. The Viewliner I also had a window opening on the corridor side right across from an outside window, so although our outside windows did not face the Hudson, we still enjoyed looking westward across that great river thanks to the (Viewliner I) design, and at night we simply pulled down the shade on the aisle side. From Chicago to Saint Louis our handicapped bedroom was bad because I had nowhere to sit but in the wheelchair! My wife needed to keep her leg up on the facing seat and there are just the two small seats. Unlike the Viewliner I there was no bathroom door (although a curtain).

I find it interesting the NY section as as many sleepers as coaches. It was that way both times I rode that train in the last couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back