Lake Shore Limited question!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
Could someone quickly refresh my memory as to what trains combine into the LSL going to CHI? I think it will be easier for me to find out from Julie if the LSL will be departing ELY close to the scheduled time if I also checked on the other train(s). I hate to get up in the middle of the night only to find out the train is running 2 hours late and am thinking I could plan a little better if I knew how the other train(s) were running.... (although, maybe not...!)

Oh, and is the A/C on the LSL usually working properly?

Well, the LSL is train 49 going westbound. It does not really combine, but meets train 449 (from Boston) in Albany (they wait for each other).

Is that what you needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the LSL is train 49 going westbound. It does not really combine, but meets train 449 in Albany (they wait for each other).
Is that what you needed?
Correct,

if you're heading in the direction of Boston, you will have to transfer across the platform in Albany to train 449. If you're heading in the direction of New York, you simply stay on the train 49. ;)

Well, the LSL is train 49 going westbound. It does not really combine, but meets train 449 in Albany (they wait for each other).
Is that what you needed?
Correct,

if you're heading in the direction of Boston, you will have to transfer across the platform in Albany to train 449. If you're heading in the direction of New York, you simply stay on the train 49. ;)
Actually, Eastbound to New york is 48 and Boston is 448. 49 & 449 are Westbound.

I hate to get up in the middle of the night only to find out the train is running 2 hours late and am thinking I could plan a little better if I knew how the other train(s) were running.... (although, maybe not...!)
Your attendant can wake you when you are within 30 minutes of your station, or whatever interval you specify. This way you do not wake up unnecessarily early.

Could someone quickly refresh my memory as to what trains combine into the LSL going to CHI? I think it will be easier for me to find out from Julie if the LSL will be departing ELY close to the scheduled time if I also checked on the other train(s). I hate to get up in the middle of the night only to find out the train is running 2 hours late and am thinking I could plan a little better if I knew how the other train(s) were running.... (although, maybe not...!)
Oh, and is the A/C on the LSL usually working properly?

I've heard of the Boston stub train being bustituted because the A/C wasn't working in at least one coach car on a hot day (last year, I believe). I assume this means it does usually work.

If the train is running late and you decide to arrive at the station later as a result, be careful not to cut things too close. Some of the time in the schedule is based upon how long it actually takes the train to travel from one station to the next when everything is going well, and some of that time is padding. If a train experiences a delay, but then after that delay everything goes well, the train may make better time than you might expect, and its only obligation is to not depart ELY before the time published in the timetable for ELY. The conductor is probably going to be much more interested in making up the time for those who boarded before ELY than in making sure that passengers boarding at ELY who noticed the train was delayed don't miss the train.

The only other train that combines with #49 is #449 (from BOS), but that takes place in ALB. It is possible that #49 would gain (or lose) time in the next 10+ hours to ELY! There really is no way to know in advance if it will arrive on time in ELY without checking in the middle of the night.

I wouldn't depend too much on the times that are given by Julie or station agents. I overheard amtrak employees at SDY complaining about an upstream station manager, "She never puts anything in the computer, I have to call to find out if the train has left ... She must know somebody to keep her job."

So much for the myth of the railroads precision timing. I wonder if it was any different in the old days when they would telegraph arrivals and departures.

The LSL draws from New York's pool of Viewliners, Amfleet IIs, and occasionally Horizon cars. Therefore, it is entirely possible that the car you are in was in Florida a few days ago (although not likely). Sunnyside Yard (the New York yard that the LSL is serviced at) is known for breaking up consists. The trains that draw from this pool are the Cardinal, Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, Silver Meteor and Silver Star. I forget exactly which trains run Amfleet II coaches, but I assume they transfer as well.

Usually consists just turn as one another, but not always. I assume the A/C works. If it doesn't, ask your car attendant about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back