Lake Shore Limited - running Superliners now?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could Superliners run from Albany to Boston?
jb
As long as no one needs to board or disembark at Boston South Station I suppose, provided there is enough catenary clearance. High Level Plaforms and Superliners don't play well together. I suppose they could run to Back Bay since the Worcester Line AFAIR is neither electrified nor high level platform there. But beyond that I don;t know if there is enough clearance under the catenary to somehow get the consist to Southampton St. Yard without short circuiting something.

Anyway, no Lake Shore Limited will run Superliner for a while given the relative shortage of Superliners to equip trains fully that are Superliner trains.

As long as no one needs to board or disembark at Boston South Station I suppose, provided there is enough catenary clearance. High Level Plaforms and Superliners don't play well together. I suppose they could run to Back Bay since the Worcester Line AFAIR is neither electrified nor high level platform there. But beyond that I don;t know if there is enough clearance under the catenary to somehow get the consist to Southampton St. Yard without short circuiting something.

Anyway, no Lake Shore Limited will run Superliner for a while given the relative shortage of Superliners to equip trains fully that are Superliner trains.

Back Bay is low level for tracks 5 and 7 with a mini high. I don't know if they could turn a train there though.

Worcester would be an issue since with the new construction there is no longer a low level platform available and I suspect after the new construction is finished that will still be true as none of the plans show it.

There have been a few times when there was a major delay into Chicago that they would run the LSL with Superliners to Albany, and you would have to switch to another train the rest of the way. Chicago doesn't have enough spare equipment to make up a single-level LSL if the train from New York is really late. I remember reading about it before, but it is really rare. Maybe once every 10 years. The Cardinal has also run with Superliners to Washington a few times due to a late arriving train from New York.
Probably happened a very long time ago since it’s now impossible to go east of buffalo depew with superliners since Rochester, Syracuse and Albany all have hi-level platforms now making it impossible for a superliners to stop.

Back