Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I am considering a trip from Lamy, NM to Boston this summer. We will be in sleepers on the LSL, but it seems after the split, the sleepers must go to New York and we will have to move to coach. Is that correct?

Also, how do we go about making that move? Will they take us back to the coach or will we have to get off and back on after the split?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

They do noo serve dinner out of Chicago do they?

The train to Boston is a separate one, so you will need to leave your sleeper and cross the platform to 448 and ride coach to Boston. If you have checked baggage, they will transfer that for you as well and then you claim it from the baggage car at South Station.

You may have the option for Business Class, however when I boarded last July, I was informed they didn't have a BC car (no explanation either as I was holding a BC ticket), so I was in a refurbished Amfleet I for the trip. My car was maybe 1/3 full, so I was able to sprawl out among two seats which helped make up for not having BC--that and getting a credit for future travel after I called Amtrak later on.

They should have a lounge car as well on this train for getting some food once you are underway to BOS.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not serve dinner out of Chicago do they?
Sleeper passengers board early and have a wine and cheese tasting before the train leaves. Or, you can just go to bed and be well asleep when the train leaves. Noe evening meal served, though.

The train to Boston is a separate one, so you will need to leave your sleeper and cross the platform to 448 and ride coach to Boston. If you have checked baggage, they will transfer that for you as well and then you claim it from the baggage car at South Station.
You may have the option for Business Class, however when I boarded last July, I was informed they didn't have a BC car (no explanation either as I was holding a BC ticket), so I was in a refurbished Amfleet I for the trip. My car was maybe 1/3 full, so I was able to sprawl out among two seats which helped make up for not having BC--that and getting a credit for future travel after I called Amtrak later on.

They should have a lounge car as well on this train for getting some food once you are underway to BOS.

Hope this helps!

Dan
Can Lake Shore sleeper passengers use the lounge at Boston, or are you just a coach passenger until Albany?

Hope this helps!

Dan
Can Lake Shore sleeper passengers use the lounge at Boston, or are you just a coach passenger until Albany?
Technically, yes, if you have a same-day sleeper ticket, you can use ClubAcela at Boston, even though it departs from a connecting city. However, many lounge agents seem to be unaware of this policy and may turn you away. If you run into any trouble, the lounge agent should be able to see the policy in Amtrak's internal mainframe (ARROW) which explicitly allows you to use the lounge. :)

Hope this helps!

Dan
Boston does not have a Club Acela.

Hope this helps!

Dan
Yes it does, I've used it many, many times personally. BOS, NYP, PHL, and WAS.

Hope this helps!

Dan
Oops. My mistake. I was looking at the Metropolitan Lounge listing.

We would be in sleepers from Chicago until Albany, then you lose the option for sleepers going on to Boston. I assume that is because there are no sleepers, correct?

Someone said it would be a different train. Is that true or is it just split off cars from the 48 original train?

We would be in sleepers from Chicago until Albany, then you lose the option for sleepers going on to Boston. I assume that is because there are no sleepers, correct?
Someone said it would be a different train. Is that true or is it just split off cars from the 48 original train?
It is a different train.

It's a different train (448 I think) from Albany to Boston.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers

Chris
Well it's always had a different train number, even back when they used to actually split the train in Albany. But the spliting stopped about 3 or 4 years ago now. So now those going to/from Boston must physically switch trains in ALB.

Cheers

Chris
The Train will be waiting on the other side of the platform when you arrrive. No other passengers from the station are allowed to board yet till the passengers from the LSL are transfered over at least that is what happened when I took the Boston train. I had no problem using Bostons Acela lounge though if memory serves me right, it is a huge lounge, that hardly anyone was in, so I went back to the station to watch the activity of people.

Bill

Hope this helps!

Dan
I'll second that and add that it probably is the nicest on the system.

Hope this helps!

Dan
I'll second that and add that it probably is the nicest on the system.
I rode 448 on monday from ALB to Worcester. The train did have a Business Class Section (1/3 of a café car) but no café attendant, so no food service.

Also, looking at the timetable, if 448 or 48 is late at ALB, the train may arrive at BOS after the club Acela has closed.

Rick

I rode 448 on monday from ALB to Worcester. The train did have a Business Class Section (1/3 of a café car) but no café attendant, so no food service.
Also, looking at the timetable, if 448 or 48 is late at ALB, the train may arrive at BOS after the club Acela has closed.

Rick
It seems to me they are quite inconsistent with this. One train has BC and food service, another will have only food service, and another has just BC and no food service. For this being a relatively short run from ALB to BOS, you would think they could be a bit more consistent with offering these amenities.

Dan

Thanks for all the info. Did not realize they did not split the train anymore. I would have liked to see that.

Just booked Lamy, NM to Boston for this summer (SWC-LSL) and looking forward to my first single level Amtrak ride since when I was 7 (1979).

Thanks for all the info. Did not realize they did not split the train anymore. I would have liked to see that.
Just booked Lamy, NM to Boston for this summer (SWC-LSL) and looking forward to my first single level Amtrak ride since when I was 7 (1979).
I hope your trip goes well. Last summer was my first trip ever in the Viewliners and I really enjoyed the experience! Be sure to let us know how it went.

Dan

Technically, yes, if you have a same-day sleeper ticket, you can use ClubAcela at Boston, even though it departs from a connecting city. However, many lounge agents seem to be unaware of this policy and may turn you away. If you run into any trouble, the lounge agent should be able to see the policy in Amtrak's internal mainframe (ARROW) which explicitly allows you to use the lounge. :)
Is there anything I could take and show them this policy? Some printed material rather than asking them to look it up?

I would like to be able to use the lounge on our return trip where we will depart Boston on 449 and connect to 49 with sleeper tickets.

Is there anything I could take and show them this policy? Some printed material rather than asking them to look it up?

I would like to be able to use the lounge on our return trip where we will depart Boston on 449 and connect to 49 with sleeper tickets.
Page 122 of the timetable, under the Amenities section.

I want to say Springfield, Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Toledo (although Cleveland may be also). My general rule of thumb is whenever there is an Engineer change, but there are a couple of extras (like Springfield).

I want to say Springfield, Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Toledo (although Cleveland may be also). My general rule of thumb is whenever there is an Engineer change, but there are a couple of extras (like Springfield).
Well... let's put Springfield there with an asterisk which reads in small print at the bottom, "Never turn your back on a loaded train."

For an explanation, click here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back