Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That says the rear car of 48 was a dining car. Was that a deadhead move? I thought the rear car of 48 was normally the New York City baggage car.

The article also seems to think that the operating crew of the train is incapable of detaching a car from the back of their train. Is that really true?

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to stop and report the accident for sure. Otherwise the crew would lose their jobs. The issue with derailments that involve passenger equipment is they have to make sure ALL the equipment is still road worthy. If you put something on the ground, no matter where in the consist, 9 times out of 10 that trainset is toast until it can get looked at by mechanical in the proper facilities.

Right if it was really the last car of the train the conductors are trained to uncouple cars, so they could have just popped if off and continued.
I don't know about the deadheading question, but if they did "just popped it off" and continued, wouldn't that be considered leaving the scene of an accident?
im sure there's rules that have to be followed before popping it off and going. they have to make sure there's no damage to the other train or the tracks. then once the train is cleared to continue the RR will take the car that derailed and will be re-railed and tow it to a shop. but it would be stupid to evacuate a whole train just cause 1 empty car derailed and no other cars jumped the track and the train was safe to continue.

Deadhead-- hmm, kinda quirky story, is he trying to make trains sound like flesh hungry monster?
Hum? Either they must have changed the article by the time I read it or you must have quite a colorful imagination!

monster3.jpg
FLESH EATING MONSTOR TRAIN

Be interested in knowing if it was a real dining car or a diner-lite. If it is a real one, I am thinking one of two things. They are preparing to put them back on the LSL OR they are just taking one to NY for one of the Silvers or Cresent.

I cannot image it was 8400.

That says the rear car of 48 was a dining car. Was that a deadhead move? I thought the rear car of 48 was normally the New York City baggage car.
Viewliner diner 8400 ??? :lol:
The Diner involved was Heritage Diner 8531 according to a report on the Trainorders board. According to reports only one axle derailed.

LSL arrived NYP a bit over 4 hours late as a result of this incident.

Thanks. Still like to know what they were doing with it.

It is a shame to have a perfectly nice diner on the rear end and have to eat in a Diner-lite.

Kind of off topic, but the article includes this: "In February 2005, Victoria Doyle, 38, of Johnstown, was killed driving over the tracks in Fonda. Officials said Doyle died that day because a train engineer hit the wrong button and raised the warning gates that prevent motorists from crossing over the tracks when a train is coming."

I have a picture of the engineer in the moving train pushing the button. It seems that overriding the automatic gates should only be possible from the ground, though, kind of like how someone climbs down with a flag at every crossing where the gates are broken.

Anyone know more about how this works?

I just came here to post the same question - based on my understanding of how things work, this can't be possible.

Based on the understanding of the media's understanding of railroads, I suspect that I'm right.

Ferry to SSDY from the Grove apparently.

It is a shame to have a perfectly nice diner on the rear end and have to eat in a Diner-lite.
If only Diners could serve food in the absence of a cook and a server and of course provisions :p

If only Diners could serve food in the absence of a cook and a server and of course provisions :p
I thought diner-lites have a cook. Otherwise, who is that heating the meals?

Is SSDY Schenectady? If so, know why they are taking it there?

I thought diner-lites have a cook. Otherwise, who is that heating the meals?

Is SSDY Schenectady? If so, know why they are taking it there?
it means sunnyside yards

Last edited:
I used to live in that area, right between what were then the north and south New York Central tracks.

That was 1945 thru 1948. Don't recall any derailments or accidents during that whole time period. Of course there was no TV and I could barely read. It is actually a few miles West of Amsterdam.

The flesh eating train monsters were supposed to keep us kids from playing on the tracks. Didn't work very well, stupid grownups thought they could fool us.

Living between the two railroads, with the barge canal in between it is a wonder any of us kids survived.

Right if it was really the last car of the train the conductors are trained to uncouple cars, so they could have just popped if off and continued.
The Conductors are "trained" to uncouple cars? While that statement is true... that is one of the kinda basic jobs of train operating crews... to couple and uncouple equipment.

Deadhead-- hmm, kinda quirky story, is he trying to make trains sound like flesh hungry monster?
in case you don't know deadhead is a rail term for moving cars or locos on trains that either do not have pax or are not powered up and are being transfered either too shops or rail yards ETC.
I'm aware of what a deadhead is.

I was commenting on the writing of the story, not defining the term deadhead.

in case you don't know deadhead is a rail term for moving cars or locos on trains that either do not have pax or are not powered up and are being transfered either too shops or rail yards ETC.
I'm aware of what a deadhead is.

I was commenting on the writing of the story, not defining the term deadhead.
I assume KISS_ALIVE meant the plural sense of you, as I suspect there is at least one guest reading this thread who didn't know what the term means.

The Conductors are "trained" to uncouple cars? While that statement is true... that is one of the kinda basic jobs of train operating crews... to couple and uncouple equipment.
Uuuh: If one of the cars involved is derailed it may not be all that simple. And, if you are not certain what will move where when the pin is pulled, if the pin is not jammed so it won't pull, you may not want to uncouple until you scope out the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back