Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought diner-lites have a cook. Otherwise, who is that heating the meals?
That is the point. On that train it is the Diner-Lite that had the cook, the provisions, etc., not the Diner that was being ferried.

Is SSDY Schenectady? If so, know why they are taking it there?
No. Sunnyside. It was being taken there so that it could be placed into the consist of one of the Florida trains or the Crescent I would presume.

That is the point. On that train it is the Diner-Lite that had the cook, the provisions, etc., not the Diner that was being ferried.
Sure, but is there any good reason they couldn't have switched the real dining car into the position in the consist where the revenue pretend dining car normally goes, put the pretend dining car on the back of the train for that particular run of #48, and then when they got to Sunnyside moved the pretend dining car back into the place in the consist where the pretend dining car is normally supposed to go?

I guess the downside is the extra switching work, and it's not clear there'd really be all that much benefit to the passengers, plus in hindsight had the Heritage diner been in the middle of the train and derailed it probably would have caused much greater problems.

Is SSDY Schenectady? If so, know why they are taking it there?
No. Sunnyside. It was being taken there so that it could be placed into the consist of one of the Florida trains or the Crescent I would presume.
Damnit... when does the next one roll out? It belongs on a LSL consist!

Another question occurs to me: if Amtrak were to decide that, in the event of a bad-ordered Heritage Diner, that a pretend dining car is a suitable last minute replacement for any route, could they move any spares to the LSL and convert the LSL to normally having Heritage Diners starting, like, tomorrow or so?

Kind of off topic, but the article includes this: "In February 2005, Victoria Doyle, 38, of Johnstown, was killed driving over the tracks in Fonda. Officials said Doyle died that day because a train engineer hit the wrong button and raised the warning gates that prevent motorists from crossing over the tracks when a train is coming."

I have a picture of the engineer in the moving train pushing the button. It seems that overriding the automatic gates should only be possible from the ground, though, kind of like how someone climbs down with a flag at every crossing where the gates are broken.

Anyone know more about how this works?
Off topic, but I live an few miles away....

Three track go thur Fonda at that point, Only one bridge over tracks, two grade crossing. Two main lines, One yard lead.

Train was going to be parking on the yard lead, but had set off the grade crossing. (common) Crew member got down and opened up control box for grade crossing gates. Three tracks, Three switchs. Turn off the grade crossing gates for the track he was parked on, but nothing happen. So he turn off all three switchs, gates when up. Car drove thur open gates on to the crossing and got hit by another CSX train. CSX payed out an bit of cash for that mistake.

Kind of off topic, but the article includes this: "In February 2005, Victoria Doyle, 38, of Johnstown, was killed driving over the tracks in Fonda. Officials said Doyle died that day because a train engineer hit the wrong button and raised the warning gates that prevent motorists from crossing over the tracks when a train is coming."

I have a picture of the engineer in the moving train pushing the button. It seems that overriding the automatic gates should only be possible from the ground, though, kind of like how someone climbs down with a flag at every crossing where the gates are broken.

Anyone know more about how this works?
Off topic, but I live an few miles away....

Three track go thur Fonda at that point, Only one bridge over tracks, two grade crossing. Two main lines, One yard lead.

Train was going to be parking on the yard lead, but had set off the grade crossing. (common) Crew member got down and opened up control box for grade crossing gates. Three tracks, Three switchs. Turn off the grade crossing gates for the track he was parked on, but nothing happen. So he turn off all three switchs, gates when up. Car drove thur open gates on to the crossing and got hit by another CSX train. CSX payed out an bit of cash for that mistake.
Thanks for the info, this makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crew member got down and opened up control box for grade crossing gates. Three tracks, Three switchs. Turn off the grade crossing gates for the track he was parked on, but nothing happen. So he turn off all three switchs, gates when up. Car drove thur open gates on to the crossing and got hit by another CSX train. CSX payed out an bit of cash for that mistake.
I'm amazed that such a grade crossing gate design would be considered safe enough to be allowed at all.

I also think we should be trying to phase out all grade crossings that have more than one track. There are all these issues with one train passing through the crossing and then another train coming along on another track in a way that isn't expected by people on the road (a child was killed in Massachusetts within the last few years because he figured that once the train went by the double tracked at grade crossing, crossing the two tracks was going to be safe), and if a crossing actually has enough trains for one track to be insufficient, perhaps it also has enough trains that getting the trains out of the way of the road users has value.

Crew member got down and opened up control box for grade crossing gates. Three tracks, Three switchs. Turn off the grade crossing gates for the track he was parked on, but nothing happen. So he turn off all three switchs, gates when up. Car drove thur open gates on to the crossing and got hit by another CSX train. CSX payed out an bit of cash for that mistake.
I'm amazed that such a grade crossing gate design would be considered safe enough to be allowed at all.

I also think we should be trying to phase out all grade crossings that have more than one track. There are all these issues with one train passing through the crossing and then another train coming along on another track in a way that isn't expected by people on the road (a child was killed in Massachusetts within the last few years because he figured that once the train went by the double tracked at grade crossing, crossing the two tracks was going to be safe), and if a crossing actually has enough trains for one track to be insufficient, perhaps it also has enough trains that getting the trains out of the way of the road users has value.
Good luck with that!

Trains always have the right of way and in MOST cases the line was there before the road was there-- You're talking about a lot of overhaul that would cost an astronomical amount.

Good luck with that!

Trains always have the right of way and in MOST cases the line was there before the road was there-- You're talking about a lot of overhaul that would cost an astronomical amount.
I doubt that fully grade separating all the Interstate highways that we've managed to fund has been any less expensive.

The difference though is that the railroads are privately owned, whereas the roads and highways are publicly owned. When the interstates are built or a new road crossing a highway built these costs are built in to the cost to build the thing. Not so much with railroads and grade crossings...

On the other hand, I wonder how many double (or more) track grade crossings there are in the US. Probably an awful lot less than the total number of places where any Interstate highway crosses any other road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back