Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcnews

OBS Chief
In the past, we have taken the Capital Limited and the Cardinal route to go west from Virginia. Made a switch for our next trip.... I think it is that photo in the timetable of the Lake Shore Limited on the the Hudson River that has always captured my imagination. Also, in my limited experience of traveling along the Hudson River Valley, I was always a bit impressed with the scenery, the mountains and rocks. Add the history of that area, as well as the railroad line (the former New York Central mainline), it just beckons our call...

So I was recently looking for availability to go west, for a 3 day excursion to Chicago and back, from Ashland, VA (near Richmond), and one of the first options offered by the Amtrak website was a NE Regional to NYP connecting to the LSL. If I used AGR that would mean BC to NYP (nice) and a Roomette on the LSL to Chicago. The schedule was perfect. A short stint in NYC and then off to the midwest.

Anyway, after some thought - we decided that we would actually prefer to board in Culpeper, VA (at 8 AM) on the Northbound Crescent, which will arrive in NYC at 1:45 PM. LSL departs at 3:45 - a perfect schedule, and a good use of 20,000 points (2 zone Roomette award). Then return via the Cardinal in a BR (30,000 award). I seem to have more AGR points than time to use them, so this is about my last chance to do anything much until maybe February or March.

In the past we would not have hesitated - and simply booked the Cardinal. But the upgrade in services available on the LSL + Crescent - as well as an 8 AM departure on the Crescent, just seemed like more quality time on the train.

But how would you rate the Lake Shore Limited? This is our first trip on the train.We realize that the two trains will score better than the Cardinal - when it comes to services, but what about the scenery along the route?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think that the LSL is a very nice ride, however it is critical to get a room on the correct side of the train. That means an odd numbered room most of the time. I will also say that coming east is actually the better ride, at least in the summer months with longer daylight hours. Coming east you'll get to see both the Erie canal and the Hudson River. Going west you only get the Hudson River, it's dark by the time you get to the canal.

On the other hand going west gets you dinner & breakfast, while coming east only gets you breakfast & lunch along with the wine & cheese party in Chicago.

That train has had a spotty reputation perhaps, but I rode it in a sleeper Boston to Chicago in February and everything was fine. I have ridden it out of New York before, but had never been on the Massachusetts section, which was beautiful in winter, away from highways. While those Viewliner sleepers are not exactly the most pristine of equipment, being rather battered looking, my car was comfortable and both the car attendant, dining car crew and food were more than acceptable. We even arrived Chicago on time!

Funny - you mentioned the age of the Viewliners, we had a trip on the Silver Star and on that trip I could notice that the cars are getting some wear. However, on the Cardinal - which has only one Viewliner on each trainset, there is a Viewliner called the "Mountain View" that is really pristine. Very much like the feeling when you enter a nice private Jet or twin engine aircraft. When you first come on board the "Mountain View", it compares to that same feeling. It must be a rebuilt Viewliner - or maybe it had a "makeover".

Personally I think that the LSL is a very nice ride, however it is critical to get a room on the correct side of the train. That means an odd numbered room most of the time. I will also say that coming east is actually the better ride, at least in the summer months with longer daylight hours. Coming east you'll get to see both the Erie canal and the Hudson River. Going west you only get the Hudson River, it's dark by the time you get to the canal.

On the other hand going west gets you dinner & breakfast, while coming east only gets you breakfast & lunch along with the wine & cheese party in Chicago.
Thanks! I agree - one day we will go east on the LSL - but for this trip, I really needed to keep it short (3 day/2 nights) and the AGR worked perfect westbound on the LSL, with the Crescent at 8 AM in Culpeper, 2 hours to change in NYC, and the 3:45 PM departure from NYP. The Eastbound will not get us back to Virginia. You can only use it to go from Chicago to Washington. If you desire a point south (Culpeper, VA or Ashland, VA) then you have to go Cap Limited or Cardinal. Our car will be in Culpeper. Plus - the Cardinal is so good going east. All daylight after Huntington, WV as you head east.

The two routes make a perfect loop from VA for 3 days. LSL west/ Cardinal east.

Funny - you mentioned the age of the Viewliners, we had a trip on the Silver Star and on that trip I could notice that the cars are getting some wear. However, on the Cardinal - which has only one Viewliner on each trainset, there is a Viewliner called the "Mountain View" that is really pristine. Very much like the feeling when you enter a nice private Jet or twin engine aircraft. When you first come on board the "Mountain View", it compares to that same feeling. It must be a rebuilt Viewliner - or maybe it had a "makeover".
Suffice it to say that no specific Viewliner car is assigned exclusively to any train. Viewliners get shuffled from one consist to another all the time, specially as they go through their maintenance and inspection cycle. The same car may be on Cardinal one week and on the LSL the next week. Just having found a specific car on a specific train on one day is no guarantee that it will be there even next week.

We're thinking of going west from Springfield, MA to Northeast Ohio. We would need to rent a car when we got off the train. We could get off at either Erie, PA (1:45 AM stop) or Cleveland, OH (3:45 AM stop). Which would you recommend? I realize at that hour we wouldn't be able to rent a car, but would probably need a taxi to a hotel and then pick up the car. What would you experienced travelers recommend?

We're thinking of going west from Springfield, MA to Northeast Ohio. We would need to rent a car when we got off the train. We could get off at either Erie, PA (1:45 AM stop) or Cleveland, OH (3:45 AM stop). Which would you recommend? I realize at that hour we wouldn't be able to rent a car, but would probably need a taxi to a hotel and then pick up the car. What would you experienced travelers recommend?
No contest, Cleveland hands down! Erie doesnt have a whole lot going for it, while Cleveland is a Major City with lots of attractions,(Google em up!) downtown has really been improved in the past few years! :cool: You are correct about the rent car, youll have to pick it up during business hours but I recommend spending a day or so in Cleveland to see the attractions, you wont need a car, then you can drive to your destination in NE Ohio!

I thought the scenery up the Hudson was quite lovely on the LSL. I watched the sun set over the river while having dinner!

As Alan mentioned, though, the view is only out of one side of the train. The view out from my sleeper was like of a concrete wall covered with graffiti for what seemed like hours - while the glorious Hudson was on the other side of the train.

Hi,

How about out of CHI to NYP in a sleeper, views of the Erie Canal and Hudson? Do you know by any chance?

Bob,

Since you're in a Bedroom you can actually see out of both sides of the train. On one side the window is within your room, on the other side you have to look out your door and across the hall to the window. However, the best of the scenery will be to your right and the side where the window in your room is the one you'll need to look out of. That side will have the Hudson River & Erie Canal.

If you're up early enough you might be able to see some of the Great Lakes out the left side of the train.

Bob,

Since you're in a Bedroom you can actually see out of both sides of the train. On one side the window is within your room, on the other side you have to look out your door and across the hall to the window. However, the best of the scenery will be to your right and the side where the window in your room is the one you'll need to look out of. That side will have the Hudson River & Erie Canal.

If you're up early enough you might be able to see some of the Great Lakes out the left side of the train.
Thanks very much AlanB. The reason we are going eastbound is to see the Erie and Hudson during daylight.

And I think it is worth the reminder that if one's room is on the wrong side of the train, those views can be had from the cafe car too... I for one rarely can afford the room on the LSL even at low bucket - I save up for the roomettes on the western trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back