Lake Shore Ltd Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Before I retired I had built up frequent flyer miles on a few different airlines. I have some I need to use before they expire. I would like to take the LSL from New York to Chicago, or Chicago to New York and fly the reverse to get back home. Some questions from you folks if I could:

What is the on-time performance (average) for the end of Feb in each direction. I won't be making any connections so that isn't a problem. More a curiosity question.

The west bound, #49 arrives Chicago, per the schedule, at 8:45 AM. Do they serve breakfast before the arrival?

Same question with #48 which is to leave at 7:35 PM. Diner served?

Do you get both breakfast and lunch, then, the next day, since it is a mid-afternoon arrival?

What could I expect in the way of the coaches being full or could I expect to have a seat to myself? In pricing this oneway trip, even with my senior discount, it is about $245 for a sleeper and meals. I wouldn't mind the coach since it is only one night and then just pay for the meals (I love eating in the diner!)

Anyone have an idea of what the upgrade to a sleeper might be if it was available and I did it on the train?

Does either Chicago Union Station or NY Penn staation have any facilities for passengers to rent to take a shower, etc, upon arrival?

Thanks for the input.

Tom

I think in this case I'm tempted to advise MrFSS to travel to D.C. & catch the Capitol Ltd. That train has a much better rep than the Late for Sure Ltd. Plus, Superliner equipment. I've also had the experience of more customer-oriented crews aboard the Capitol. I'm sorry to say that the crews aboard the LSL have the reputation of being a law unto themselves.

The puctuality of the trains depends upon the weather, and also on the dispatching of the landlord, "host" railroads. Again the Capitol has the better reputation of punctuality than the LSL. We also have no real effective way of telling how full the train is going to be, or if you will have a seat to yourself. Both the Capitol & the LSL have the reputations of being busy trains. The Sleeper aboard the Capitol is usually less expensive than the sleeper aboard any of the single-lelvel equipment, such as the LSL has. However, this may not be to your advantage as you would have to travel between D.C. & NYC to get the Capitol, so there might not be a difference in the total cost.

The sleeper passengers have their showers aboard the train itself. I don't know about NYC, but I can state with some degree of certainty that there are no shower facilities at Chicago.

WICT106 said:
I think in this case I'm tempted to advise MrFSS to travel to D.C. & catch the Capitol Ltd.  That train has a much better rep than the Late for Sure Ltd.  Plus, Superliner equipment.  I've also had the experience of more customer-oriented crews aboard the Capitol.  I'm sorry to say that the crews aboard the LSL have the reputation of being a law unto themselves.  
Actually, I have to disagree with you on the customer service aspect. The worst dining car crew I've ever had while riding Amtrak was on the Capitol. Oddly enough Superliner Diner hit that very same crew several months after I did. Additionally Steve4031 also just had a not so good dining car crew on the Cap this month.

While I can't swear that you won't hit a bad crew on the LSL, thankfully I've never hit one, unlike the Cap. In both my case and Superliner Diner's, we were headed out of Chicago on the old schedule that saw the train leaving at 7:00pm. The dining car crew dragged their feet horribly getting the diner open, waiting till 9:00 or so before starting to serve.

Then once you got into the diner, the crew was very slow to wait upon you. Additionally in my case, they actually served me the wrong food and then had the nerve to tell me that I was wrong.

WICT106 said:
The Sleeper aboard the Capitol is usually less expensive than the sleeper aboard any of the single-lelvel equipment, such as the LSL has.  However, this may not be to your advantage as you would have to travel between D.C. & NYC to get the Capitol, so there might not be a difference in the total cost.
Here I will agree, the Cap should be cheaper for a sleeper than the LSL. The extra cost to get from NYP to DC would be negligable, if you book the reservation properly as one complete trip. My guess is maybe 30 or 40 bucks more, than a ticket out of DC to Chicago would cost. Amtrak does not charge normal NEC fares, when you are connecting to a LD train.

WICT106 said:
The sleeper passengers have their showers aboard the train itself.  I don't know about NYC, but I can state with some degree of certainty that there are no shower facilities at Chicago.
There are no shower facilites in any of Amtrak's stations, so if you want a shower, get a sleeper.

MrFSS said:
The west bound, #49 arrives Chicago, per the schedule, at 8:45 AM. Do they serve breakfast before the arrival?
Same question with #48 which is to leave at 7:35 PM. Diner served?

Do you get both breakfast and lunch, then, the next day, since it is a mid-afternoon arrival?
Last I knew, they did serve a very abreviated breakfast, but this may have changed. If they are still serving it, you will have to be in the diner by 7:30 AM at the latest.

They do serve diner outbound on 48. You will also get breakfast and a very shortened lunch. Basically unless the train is running late, they'll serve a limited lunch selection between 11:00 AM and Noon. So have an early breakfast if you want lunch.

Lunch has to be over by the time the train arrives at Albany. The diner is closed south of Albany.

Well - after all I had considered, I just made a reservation on the Cardinal from NY Penn Station to Indianapolis for a trip next week. I was able to make my fequent flyer miles workk from Indy and we have family there. My wife will stay with them while I'm out running around the countryside. I will fly into NYC the day before and stay at the Pennsylvania Hotel across from Penn Station. I have a roomette in car 5100.

Question - how do I get credit fro the Guest Rewards (I'm a member) just show my card when I pick up my ticket? Or, did I miss someplace putting the number in on the website when I reserved?

Any other info anyone has about this train is appreciated.

Tom

Yes, definitely show your card, make sure to tell them you forgot to indicate it when you made the reservation and ask them to add it to the reservation. Make sure you hang on to your ticket stub until the points are reflected on your account so that if there is a discrepancy you have proof that you were on board.

battalion51 said:
Yes, definitely show your card, make sure to tell them you forgot to indicate it when you made the reservation and ask them to add it to the reservation. Make sure you hang on to your ticket stub until the points are reflected on your account so that if there is a discrepancy you have proof that you were on board.
Make sure that it is printed on the ticket, before you leave the counter. Your number should appear on the ticket stub, directly below your name and slightly offset to the right. If it's not on that stub, then you will have to contact guest rewards later to get the points.

MrFSS said:
Question - how do I get credit fro the Guest Rewards (I'm a member) just show my card when I pick up my ticket? Or, did I miss someplace putting the number in on the website when I reserved?
Sadly, you missed it when you made the reservation. The field for your number should have been right at the end of the row where you provided your name.

As for the Cardinal, you'll sadly hit the most scenic area, New River Gorge, after dark. IMHO this is probably the best scenery east of the Mississippi. That said, you should still have a nice trip and there are some sights to see along the corridor.

Also after you depart DC and exit the tunnel, you can get some nice views of DC. The Jefferson Memorial will be on your right, the Washington monument should be visible also. The DC Metro's Yellow & Blue line will be to your left.

Oh, and be sure to take advantage of the Club Acela Lounge while in NY.

Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's Club Acela lounge in NY. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms.

The lounge in NY can be found to the far left of the NJ Transit ticket windows as you face them. Walk past the West Gate for tracks 7 & 8 on the left side of the escalator and you will see a sign on the corner of the wall. There is a doorbell to the left of two gold doors. Ring the bell and wait for the click to open the door. Note: In NY there is no pre-boarding ahead of the regular passengers, but they usually do announce your train in the lounge before they announce it in the main station. This means if you don’t dilly-dally, you can generally be near the head of the line at the escalator.

I have to humbly submit that the very worst service I've ever had traveling Amtrak was on the LSL. In fact, it has happened more than once in the diner. People will jump all over me for this but, I once attributed the rudeness to the fact that the diner people were from New York.

You sure about the lack of showers in Chicago? I saw them on a trip back in '89(didn't bother looking for them this last time)-as I recall they were downstairs, there were easily 100+ stalls....

1989 was a long time ago. I think Chicago Union Station went through a massive renovation in the early 1990s.

In any event, I have never seen any showers nor any other evidence thereof, and I have gone through Chicago Union Station several times a year the last three or four years.

The lavatories in Chicago Union Station (the old ones, downstairs) do have showers. There was an attendant who handed out locker keys, bath towels. slippers and bath mats as well as kept the place clean. The facility was 'legacy' from the days of transcontinental travel and the trains did not have showers. And, as I recall offered free of charge, at least to sleeper passengers.

Once the Superliners came online, Amtrak deemed it prudent to close the facilities - both to make sleeper travel more enticing and sellable, and as part of a general face-lift of Union Station. It also produced a cost-saving of some amount. So they built the current restroom facilities and closed the old ones. They are phisically blocked off behind a false wall. I don't remember when this all happened, but it was some time ago. I availed myself of the service at least as late as 1990...

Back