Lake Shore ltd

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
Which is more scenic, taking the the LSL eastbound from Chicago to NYP or Westbound from NYP to Chicago??

Also, do they serve dinner on the LSL when it leaves Chicago?

Which is more scenic, taking the the LSL eastbound from Chicago to NYP or Westbound from NYP to Chicago??

Also, do they serve dinner on the LSL when it leaves Chicago?
"Scenic" certainly depends upon your point of view (do you love natural vistas, but hate urban squalor, or enjoy it all?) and time of year. (foliage, snow, barren trees, hours of day light, etc., etc.)
I prefer the Westbound, as you get to travel north along the Hudson River, right ON the river's edge for a good portion of it. I also like coming into the Windy in the AM, prefaced by the farmland and rolling hills of Ohio and and northern Indiana.

EDIT: btw, don't believe that the LSL serves dinner out of Chicago anymore, departure is too late.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No dinner on the Lake Shore Limited leaving Chicago, but there is a wine and cheese tasting before departure for sleeping car passengers.

I prefer the LSL eastbound because it gives you both the Mohawk and the Hudson valley in daylight hours. Westbound it is usually too dark by the time you get to Mohawk Valley, which has a charm of its own.

Unfortunately Sandusky Bay is in darkness both ways, and west of that there is not much to see unless you love urban ruins of steel mills and such :)

Unfortunately Sandusky Bay is in darkness both ways, and west of that there is not much to see unless you love urban ruins of steel mills and such :)
Unless your late! I was on #49 on 7/24-25 and by the time we got to Ohio we were running about 3 hours late, so it got light going into Cleveland. Sandusky Bay was very pretty in those early morning hours.

Speaking of the LSL, any ideas why it's OTP is way down? Last month it was 36%. Every time I've taken it last year it was on time. Today, for instance, it's running 4 hours late. Yesterday it was something like 2 1/2 hours late. It seems the problem is that it's leaving Chicago late and it gets further and further delayed as it goes along.

I'm on this in late and it's the wife's first trip, so I really would like to see it on time or no more than 45 minutes late into NYP. Hopefully it will break this depressing trend!

It was three hours late for me as well, meaning that I woke up in Cleveland. And yes, Sandusky Bay was amazing...even if it was a bit disconcerting to cross one or two short bridges there where all I could see out my window was water.

Does anyone know if the Westbound has been running late? Does it typically leave NYP on time?

If we get delayed in route heading west - I'm OK with having more daylight time on the 2nd day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back