Lakefront Station (CLE)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

profwebs

Service Attendant
Just wondering what Cleveland station is like in the wee hours. Was considering taking a multi segment trip getting on the CL in PGH and heading east on the LSL from Cleveland. If both are on time, looks like a 4 hour wait. Sure can't go visit the RR HOF at that time of the night.

Just wondering what Cleveland station is like in the wee hours. Was considering taking a multi segment trip getting on the CL in PGH and heading east on the LSL from Cleveland. If both are on time, looks like a 4 hour wait. Sure can't go visit the RR HOF at that time of the night.

On my 1st Train Trip in Sept., I was on the CL and went to the Lounge car on the #29 in the middle of the night. Was talking to an older fella who was getting away from his train hating wife & I happened to turn around and there was the Brown's Stadium. &, I missed a great photo opportunity!!!!

Thanx for the reminder!!!!!

RF

On my 1st Train Trip in Sept., I was on the CL and went to the Lounge car on the #29 in the middle of the night. Was talking to an older fella who was getting away from his train hating wife & I happened to turn around and there was the Brown's Stadium. &, I missed a great photo opportunity!!!!

Thanx for the reminder!!!!!

RF
Sorry you missed the photo op. I have seen that stadium, but never went to a game. I did however go to a game in the old Lakefront stadium when I was around 3 though. I wouldn't want to go to a game in the winter there, and I actually love the cold and snow. :eek:

On another note, I didn't know older fellas referred to other older fellas as older fellas :p

Its a nice photoshoot- but you won't have much to do...

The station itself is rather busy, but I wouldn't venture beyond the station. And in fact doing so is rather hard without a car, especially since the light rail service doesn't run during the hours in question.

I live in Cleveland. During those hours, there is nothing to do. The walk around th R&R HOF and the stadium and science center would be nice, but at those hours, I would not risk it. It's not a high crime area, but why chance it. It also depends on the time of year. It can be COLD on the lakefront.

If you want to see those sites, I would stay a day. There are some good, close (and relatively cheap) hotels.

The problem (as you know) is the timing of the trains (all in the middle of the night / very early morning). :angry:

We use CLE for all of our Amtrak ventures and find the station convenient (once you learn how to run the Shoreway Drive ramps :) and safe. The staff is very friendly and always has been helpful when acquiring tickets or giving advice. The station is starting to show its age but they have made some improvements in the restrooms and seating areas. Lots of chairs available although they arent the most comfortable. Vending machines, Quicktrak, etc. Wish the trains boarded on the inside track near the overhang on rainy days. Prepare to get wet when boarding and detraining :angry:

Parking is free and locked gate adds security. Have left our car there for several weeks without problems. Taxis are usually plentiful but at 2:30-3:30 am when most trains arrive, there isnt much reason to roam around town. Better off to stretch your legs and enjoy the view of the stadium, the big wind turbine across the highway and maybe a glimpse of the terminal tower and skyline as you leave.

The station itself is rather busy, but I wouldn't venture beyond the station. And in fact doing so is rather hard without a car, especially since the light rail service doesn't run during the hours in question.
hell anybody around here would tell you the RTA only provides decent lakefront service when it IS in opperation...

I used to like riding the rapid transit when I was a kid. We'd go from my uncle's place downtown to Terminal Tower I think. Last time I was downtown was around 1999, drinking in the Flats. I hear it has changed alot since then. New condo's or something.

I used to like riding the rapid transit when I was a kid. We'd go from my uncle's place downtown to Terminal Tower I think. Last time I was downtown was around 1999, drinking in the Flats. I hear it has changed alot since then. New condo's or something.
The east side of the flats is GONE. Everthing closed and they are in the process of building a big development (which is on hold because of the economy). The west bank is still around, but not nearly what it was.

The big thing now is the warehouse district (W. 6th and W. 9th) just up the hill from the Flats. Also, the E. 4th district has about 8 new restaurants including Lola, Michael Simon's place (he's the newest American Iron chef. It's a nice area now.

Yes, it is the Terminal Tower that the RTA train runs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back