Lakeshore Limited dinner schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

F. Mach

The Lakeshore Limited departs Albany at 7:05 PM. Will people boarding at Albany or joining train 49 from 449 and riding a sleeper be served a dinner?

Generally they encourage folks who board the train at NYP/CRT/POU to eat dinner prior to ALB so they can get the folks from 449 and those boarding at Albany to cycle through after departure from ALB. If you're in a Bedroom or Odd Numbered room this is actually to your advantage so you can get those good Hudson River views from the Diner.

Yes, we boarded at SDY last month and we received dinner on the westbound 49. I suppose if the train was running very late, you may not. But under close to normal circumstances, you will get dinner.

On our last ride the dinner sittings were 5, 5:30, 7:15, 8 and 8:30 as I recall. There was no specific attempt to get the 49 folks to get onto early sittings, but many did so anyway. Afterall you donlt require three sitting to accommodate .8 of a Viewliner's worth of passengers

Jis, not sure if you are saying that .8 is the people coming from Boston, but I am hoping not as the Boston trains, sleepers and coach are most always full and there are lots of people that would need to eat and it would be more than .8 of one car.

Jis, not sure if you are saying that .8 is the people coming from Boston, but I am hoping not as the Boston trains, sleepers and coach are most always full and there are lots of people that would need to eat and it would be more than .8 of one car.
Does the sleeper also accommodate OBS? If so, then .8 might be the right #.

The only group that has pre-paid for dinner are the sleeper passengers. Assuming that Boston OBS folks have accommodation in the Boston Sleeper there are something less than a full Sleeper load of passengers to feed with guarantee and some subset of 2 coaches worth of passengers. That is anyday way less than New York's two sleepers (minus OBS space) and 4 Coaches worth of passengers, and most likely won't fill three seatings. They cannot really force someone from New York to go to the pre-Albany seating other than to guarantee space for the Boston Sleeper passengers, who are not that large a number. That was my point.

On our train AFAICT they did not try to encourage too much either as far as I could tell

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice any coercion to an early seating*.

*From the staff at least, my traveling companion took care of that before they could get to me. :) Early seating is the only way to go on that train, dining while going up the Hudson.

Sounds to me like the dining car tilts towards the Hudson. :help: :p
In the first seating all tables on the Hudson side were occupied and only one on the other side was. Our Diner crew were very accommodating about where people sat unlike some other crews who would have made the house matron in an English style boarding public school dining room proud, cane in hand and all :)

Thanks for asking the question re: Albany passengers, was considering asking the exact question myself !

Great minds think alike ! :)

I rode the LSL from NYP in August and it is indeed a delight to ride up the Hudson while enjoying dinner. Question: are coach passengers invited to dinner on this train? The diner was only about 30% full and it seemed everyone was in sleeper. I remember riding the LSL several years ago in coach, and I had to go to the diner to ask about dinner; I was seated immediately but still... are the LSA's not required to walk the train as they are on the Western routes? If they are required, what is management doing to enforce this? If not, what a shame; Amtrak is losing diner revenue and passengers who may not know about this amenity are unable to partake

oh_snap.gif

Edit: That was for Jeb.

Yes, I recall there being coach pax in the diner on the LSL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back