Lakeshore Limited Review

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They woke up a woman who was Brazilian and apparently did not have the proper papers and pulled her and her baggage off the train.
Ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous to take into custody someone who doesn't have the proper paperwork and isn't a US citizen. That's what its all about. The only way they will catch folks breaking the law is to come aboard and search.
What law are they breaking? Is there one that requires everyone to have proper papers with them at all times? Or when on trains?

They woke up a woman who was Brazilian and apparently did not have the proper papers and pulled her and her baggage off the train.
Ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous to take into custody someone who doesn't have the proper paperwork and isn't a US citizen. That's what its all about. The only way they will catch folks breaking the law is to come aboard and search.
What law are they breaking? Is there one that requires everyone to have proper papers with them at all times? Or when on trains?
If you aren't a US citizen, are in the US and don't have a visa to be here, isn't that breaking the law?

Ridiculous.
If you are planning to cross an International border and don't have the proper paperwork, documents or whatever you need, yes you are violating a law. If they were traveling by plane, they would not have even been allowed on the plane without the proper documentation.

If you are planning to cross an International border and don't have the proper paperwork, documents or whatever you need, yes you are violating a law. If they were traveling by plane, they would not have even been allowed on the plane without the proper documentation.
Right.
As far as I know, the LSL does not cross an international border. But, maybe things have changed since I took it Sunday afternoon. :)

Ridiculous.
If you aren't a US citizen, are in the US and don't have a visa to be here, isn't that breaking the law?
So, if I'm travelling on the LSL with out proper papers (e.g. my U.S. passport), that means that I'm not a U.S. citizen, don't have a visa to be here, and therefore I'm breaking the law?

Ridiculous.
So, if I'm travelling on the LSL with out proper papers (e.g. my U.S. passport), that means that I'm not a U.S. citizen, don't have a visa to be here, and therefore I'm breaking the law?
US citizens are required by law to carry ID. Be it a drivers license, state ID, or passport.

US citizens are required by law to carry ID. Be it a drivers license, state ID, or passport.
Thanks for answering my original question.
As someone who rarely, if ever, has ID with me (unless required by whatever airline, or train I'm getting on), I was completely unaware of this law!

My understanding has been that that is not the case, in general, and that American citizens are perfectly welcome to walk around, ride as passengers in private automobiles, and ride as passengers in private airplanes without carrying any ID whatsoever. (Ironically, the only time I remember showing a police officer my driver's license, I was a pedestrian.)

Drivers and pilots are required to have licenses with them.

Airlines and Amtrak typically want to see identification from many or all of their passengers.

Commuter railroads and local transit systems generally don't care who you are.

John Gilmore is one person who has spent a lot of time on this issue. I believe there is also someone at Harvard Law School who has determined emperically that it actually is possible to fly on a commercial flight while refusing to show ID.

A driver's license does not prove citizenship, and I believe that when employers are verifying that an employee is eligible to work in the US, they can use a driver's license to verify that the person in the photograph on the driver's license is the person with the name printed on the driver's license, but then another document is needed to establish that the person with that name is a US citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding has been that that is not the case, in general, and that American citizens are perfectly welcome to walk around, ride as passengers in private automobiles, and ride as passengers in private airplanes without carrying any ID whatsoever. (Ironically, the only time I remember showing a police officer my driver's license, I was a pedestrian.)

Airlines and Amtrak typically want to see identification from many or all of their passengers.

John Gilmore is one person who has spent a lot of time on this issue. I believe there is also someone at Harvard Law School who has determined emperically that it actually is possible to fly on a commercial flight while refusing to show ID.

A driver's license does not prove citizenship, and I believe that when employers are verifying that an employee is eligible to work in the US, they can use a driver's license to verify that the person in the photograph on the driver's license is the person with the name printed on the driver's license, but then another document is needed to establish that the person with that name is a US citizen.

I stand corrected. I have always been under the assumption that it was law to carry ID at all times. It's only required when driving. (not including other forms of travel). But, growing up where I did, I was always asked for my ID :angry:

I stand corrected. I have always been under the assumption that it was law to carry ID at all times. It's only required when driving. (not including other forms of travel). But, growing up where I did, I was always asked for my ID :angry:
You grew up in a liquor store? :lol:

Just kidding. They are right, though, about the ID. Of course, if you are suspicious in any way, an officer has every right in the world to detain you until they determine who you are.

As a non-US citizen, however, you ARE required to carry ID and it MUST show your citizenship. Of course, you could always lie and say you are an American and don't need ID, but that could get you messed up by the cops.

You are also required by Amtrak, not the law, to carry ID onboard its trains. That's their rule, and if you're onboard without ID and a cop does a sweep, you could find yourself off the train. Probably won't get arrested for anything, but you'll wind up with a long walk ahead of you.

Here in Florida, a man was arrested while hanging out at the nearest concvenience store. He was an illegal worker from Mexico! The authorities are cracking down on immigrant laws & should! It's just not the way it was, thro in terrorists & WHAT A MESS!. Better to be safe than sorry, they say. B)

There is a comment on the phone when you call Amtrak about passengers are required to carry identification. Now I don't think it specifies what kind of ID but hey, be safe and carry it.

There is a comment on the phone when you call Amtrak about passengers are required to carry identification. Now I don't think it specifies what kind of ID but hey, be safe and carry it.
However, it's best to leave your ego at home :lol:

Right.
As far as I know, the LSL does not cross an international border. But, maybe things have changed since I took it Sunday afternoon. :)
You are correct, the LSL doesn't cross an international border. But under US law, anytime you are within 100 miles of a US border, US customs does have the right to stop, question, and detain you if they don't believe you are here legally and you can't otherwise prove that you are here legally.

On more than one occasion I've been stopped coming back to NYC from the Lake Placid area on I-87 by Customs officers. They put a check point right on the highway and stop every car and ask a question or two. If they don't like what they see and hear, they have you pull right into the rest area opposite the checkpoint for further questioning.

For whatever reason, the Border Patrol folks do seem to pay an inordinate amount of attention to Amtrak trains, including domestic ones that travel near the Canadian and Mexican borders. When I rode the Sunset last winter, the Border Patrol did a walk-through of the train while it was stopped at Del Rio ... and they removed an undocumented woman and her children. The crew told me that such an inspection is a regular occurrence. Similar inspections happen on the Empire Builder in Montana.

Ya know, there's another excellent reason to carry id on you at all times. If you're injured or otherwise unable to speak for yourself it aids emergency workers to get you faster help. I wear a dog tag any time I'm away from the home zone, especially when swimming and always carry id with me in other circumstances.

My sweetheart died suddenly while running a 10k race at the age of 33. He was wearing the standard runner's bib given in a race. To identify him, the number on the bib had to be traced back to his race application. This delayed notification.

Having ridden the LSL in both coach and a sleeper, I can report with authority that the Border Patrol does not talk to the passengers in the sleepers. So if you are an illegal alien, spring for the sleeper!

Rick

Heh ... they completely ignored me, as well, though the fact that I was standing on the platform gabbing with the crew, with a camera around my neck, probably branded me as the sort of nut they weren't interested in. :)

They did, however, walk one their dogs through the hall of my sleeping car ... looking for drug smells, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back