laptop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amatuer

Train Attendant
My wife is bringing her laptop for school work on our trip on the EB next week. Besides a surge protector, are there any other cautions I should take. I'm assuming they are standard 3 prong outlets. Anyone experience any difficulties with thier LT's and the power supply. The laptop does have its own external rechargable battery pack. Thanx.

Some of them are in recessed. Yes, they're 3 prong outlets. If you're booking sleeper class, then every room has an outlet. If you've booked coach class, you're almost out of luck. I think there's two set of outlets in each coach car. Otherwise use lounge car.

I'm in sleeper class. I've seen "recessed" mentioned before. Would I need an adapter? for a standard plug?

amatuer said:
I'm in sleeper class. I've seen "recessed" mentioned before. Would I need an adapter? for a standard plug?
I do not think you need an adapter to plug your laptop in unless it has a power supply connected to the plug itself. In that case, a short extension or a power strip would be needed.

I have also heard that power surges can be a problem so having some protection from that (a surge protector) sounds like a good idea.

I use my laptop on Amtrak all the time without any problems. I have a small surge protector designed for use with laptops. It is made by Belkin, and (instead of normal plugs) has the standard two-prong laptop connectors, and fits in the middle of the power cord/AC adapter, something like this:

normal plug===normal power cord===two prong plug===surge protector===AC Adapter===plug for notebook

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView...Section_Id=2042

They also make one that takes standard 3 prong plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back