Late intro and question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi people, some of you may remember me asking all sorts of questions back in late December regarding a Jan. trip. Well, I never did take the time to introduce myself..

Actually, there's not much to tell about me except I'm from Portland, never been on a long haul on amtrak before the Jan. trip, and am now very much taken with train travel!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions, and especially to Steve for meeting me in Chicago and showing me the sights and some very good Chicago pizza!

Well, I'm here also with a question, sorta. I wanted to offer my experience with onboard sleeper upgrades in the Official thread, but it says I don't have permission to post there. Is it because I'm still a newbie? Am I not good enough?? Umm.. forget I typed that last part. Just curious.

Also, inspired by Steve, if anyone here is coming to PDX and want to be shown the sights, let me know! I'd be more than happy to to help. It's also so fun to meet new people!

Also, inspired by Steve, if anyone here is coming to PDX and want to be shown the sights, let me know! I'd be more than happy to to help. It's also so fun to meet new people!
Aloha

Welcome, I visited Portland in 2001, I think, and in 1991, also for the NMRA Convention. You live in a nice city and have 2 great Amtrak routs available to you.

Enjoy

Eric

Hi people, some of you may remember me asking all sorts of questions back in late December regarding a Jan. trip. Well, I never did take the time to introduce myself..
Actually, there's not much to tell about me except I'm from Portland, never been on a long haul on amtrak before the Jan. trip, and am now very much taken with train travel!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions, and especially to Steve for meeting me in Chicago and showing me the sights and some very good Chicago pizza!
Glad you had what sounds like a good trip and that we were able to help prepare you. :)

Well, I'm here also with a question, sorta. I wanted to offer my experience with onboard sleeper upgrades in the Official thread, but it says I don't have permission to post there. Is it because I'm still a newbie? Am I not good enough?? Umm.. forget I typed that last part. Just curious.
It is because you're still a newbie, but it has nothing to do with being good enough. It has to do with far too many first posters posting questions in topics that are designed to be informational only topics.

Portland certainly is a beautiful area. Other than passing thru a few times over the years, I never stopped to visit. Last October, I finally did, for a few hours on the way to LA, I went to visit friends. A few days later, I stopped in PDX overnight. I liked what I saw so much that I'm going back for 2 weeks in a few weeks! :)

Portland certainly is a beautiful area. Other than passing thru a few times over the years, I never stopped to visit. Last October, I finally did, for a few hours on the way to LA, I went to visit friends. A few days later, I stopped in PDX overnight. I liked what I saw so much that I'm going back for 2 weeks in a few weeks! :)
Dave, I'll expect a report about Portland on my desk as soon as you return from Portland. :lol: My wife and I will be there in early July for a National Elks Convention; our first time in Portland or even in the entire state for that matter We'll be there for about a week and will be staying with the NY delegation at the Holiday Inn near the airport. Looking forward to seeing Portland! Enjoy your stay their!

Portland has a really good travel bureau and it is worth getting on their email list: http://www.travelportland.com/. Especially if you are interested in ticketed events like theater and music.

Be sure to drive east out the old historic Columbia River Hwy and stop at the turnouts to watch the trains, also the waterfalls. The road used to be continuous but as it breaks down, they are repairing the road to good bicycle standards. If you are used to driving in snow, then this is a good road even in rotten weather. West to the coast and the Lewis & Clark park is worth a drive, too, then run down to Garibaldi for caught-today seafood, and Tillamook for cheese (my favorite is Blue Heron factory for smoked brie) and ice cream (at the Tillamook Cheese factory).

You of course will see if any excursion trains are running now? The last time I was there the steam engine at Garibaldi Bay was dead and they were running diesel; you might be able to talk your way into the roundhouse if that interests you. Does "a few weeks" include Valentine's Day? If so, then check out Oregon Coast Scenic RR.

If it is raining, then a certain sculpture, "Allow Me" in Pioneer Square, is worth a visit on foot. Pioneer Square is where the tourism bureau is, too.

Do you like zoos? The Portland Zoo is where a concentration of elephant-knowledge is based, perhaps the most in this country. A baby was born this summer.

Hope you have a good trip! (How could you not? Especially if going by rail!)

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm not sure exactly how much "free" time I'll have. It is a partly "working" trip - to prepare my friend's business tax return. (I used to work for the IRS :eek: for 15 years.)

BTW - It will be in March.

But it will be a good trip - because it includes a 10,000 mile train "ride"! :D

Back